18' Series TV bracket issue

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
so pretty excited about the van coming but I got a call today telling me they didn't install the TV bracket to the kitchen area as detailed on plan

They are saying it's because of the jhub has anyone gotten or seen a new 18.58-2 with a jhub?
I am going in for a quick inspection Monday to determine where to put it but was hoping someone had already done the thinking for me ;)

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I bolted mine through the wall of the fridge cavity (18.58.1). Very easy to access if you remove the outside fridge vents.

!0 minute job (DYI)

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
I bolted mine through the wall of the fridge cavity (18.58.1). Very easy to access if you remove the outside fridge vents.

!0 minute job (DYI)

That's where it's always been mounted but the new 18.58-2 with jhub doesn't have any room there apparently

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
OK, so here's the pics of my just delivered 18 as promised Serg... finally! :)

They have set the overhead cupboards doors back from the old alignment. Admittedly you do now gain an overhead cupboard with a door above the J-Hub as opposed to just an open shelf like in the pic further below.

What they supplied me:
IMG_2699_zpshrr1kg20.jpg

Current Jayco website with updated photos for this year still shows the cupboard doors being further out in line with the fridge door, so you have that space above the side of the fridge to mount the TV bracket to. Pretty don't be rude. Given what they built me is NOT what is shown in my plans I am seriously contemplating demanding they fix it and supply new cupboards to go around the fridge as advertised and as signed off by me. Just not convinced how well they would be able to retrofit it back to how it should be.

With their previous builds you could put a reinforcing block on the inside of that cupboard over the fridge and mount a bracket on there just below where the solar regulator is in their pic, now there is no side above the fridge and you can't reinforce the lower section as that is where the fridge is.

What they advertise and what was on my plan:
Screen%20Shot%202017-04-22%20at%209.37.41%20pm_zpspwhnywrf.png

Also interestingly, haven't found a solar regulator yet in my brief looks through the van. Not sure if it is somehow integrated into the upgraded power system that comes with the J-Hub. Need to look further into that. Also, where they stuck the J-Hub is stupid as it is too far back into the corner and too hard to use in that spot, so to read the screen properly, you need to unmount it all the time. Not very well thought out.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Also interestingly, haven't found a solar regulator yet in my brief looks through the van. Not sure if it is somehow integrated into the upgraded power system that comes with the J-Hub. Need to look further into that. Also, where they stuck the J-Hub is stupid as it is too far back into the corner and too hard to use in that spot, so to read the screen properly, you need to unmount it all the time. Not very well thought out.

The power supply that comes with the J-Hub is the J35-C. It comes with an inbuilt solar regulator.

On other 2017 models without J-Hub they come with the J35-A or B (B is for slide out lounge units) and don't come with the in built solar regulator in which case you get the normal black external regulator.

Ck

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Yes, thought that may be the case. I do need to look further as I want to add an Anderson for an external solar panel and think the battery set up has a shunt on it I need to wire things through. Haven't even lifted the hatch for the battery packs yet to investigate.

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
I will wait and see what Serge's 18 looks like when he inspects tomorrow. Not sure if its a single stuff up or a wider systemic stuff up. Either way, it doesn't reflect on the plans I signed or the pics they supply online.

Reactions: Ssil2000

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know, thats why I'm asking
trying to remember who it was who rejected their Van when it arrived for something similar (or it was too many stuff ups) cannot remember

I do remember thinking "wow, all that waiting, then rejecting - a better stronger man then me..........."

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Yes, thought that may be the case. I do need to look further as I want to add an Anderson for an external solar panel and think the battery set up has a shunt on it I need to wire things through. Haven't even lifted the hatch for the battery packs yet to investigate.

There is an external input to the J35 which you could use. Normally wired to pin 2 on the 12 pin plug. You could steal that? Or wire in a new run from an Anderson plug? So much choice. But yes if you go direct to the battery and there is a shunt you must use that.

I have done the same on my van - although I have a drifter instead of the J-Hub.

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
so went to have a look and.... van looks good! :cheer2:

back to the bracket, the jhub is exactly where yours is @Maximage but is basically useless where it sits you cant see it so i told them to put the bracket and let it sit over top of the jhub, when i need to charge it i can pull the tv back and plug it in... they said no problem

Ashley do you reckon you need to see the jhub when its docked?

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Just for anyone else interested (Serge and I have been PM'ing today onMessenger so this is a bit redundant for him), yes, I reckon you do want to see the J-Hub easily, if you are draining your battery too fast etc, you want to notice. Tucked away in the corner you are unlikely to look at it as often and may miss a problem until it's too late.

I will try pulling it's mount off the wall tomorrow and work out how it's wired in, and maybe look at relocating. Form there I need to decide whether the TV bracket can easily be added or not and whether to make this Jaycos problem or or not bother.

It is the only thing I've found so far that has really disappointed me, apart from them not bothering to close the lid on the battery box so it is fee to rattle around. There is a reason the box has a strap ... muppets! :)

Reactions: Ssil2000 and bigcol

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
mines showed the same thing, don't expect your TV bracket to be mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_7166.JPG
    IMG_7166.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 171

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
And mine is completely wrong. I have no dashed line showing that the cupboards over the fridge will be different, it also shows all my power and tv antenna etc will be on the side of the fridge facing the sink, instead they put them all on the cupboard face above the fridge, however, they put them on the LHS of the cupboard, whereas at least yours show as being on the RHS of the cupboard. Even if I fit the TV bracket to the side of the fridge at the lower height (i.e., just above the bench), it means I need to then run cables further across from the LHS of the fridge to the RHS to the TV. So they haven't even got the cable locations right. Further to that, theres is numerous things wrong cabling wise between my plans and real life. Both sets of 12v/TV signal plugs are in the wrong spot, and the Breaksafe and J35 powerbox are in different spots (not that they really matter)
Exp OB.jpg

Really not sure what I'm going to do about the TV. Bracket on the wall next to the fridge means it basically sits at bench top height, which I don't like as it won't be ideal. Another option is as per pic below, sit it above the fridge on a stand, but I don't want that either. I spend this amount of $ to get a new van, I want things to integrate nicely, and to me that means a nice secure stable bracket for the TV where there is no risk of knocking it over, not just plopping a TV wherever it will sit.
IMG_6358.JPG

Reactions: bigcol and Ssil2000

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Side note, the J-hub tablet is powered by a USB style plug (obviously). Given the awkward location for viewing it, I was thinking of mounting it on the face of the small end cupboard door directly above the power point in the picture above.

This is the original location of the J-Hub before I removed the wall bracket, in it's horrible to read location (note the downwards tilt to it):
IMG_2699.JPG

I thought about putting it on the face of the cupboard door above the fridge so it sits next to the power sockets etc but it is too wide, and the J-Hub software will not rotate, it only works in horizontal format:
IMG_0209.JPG

Then decided, given the bracket has a downwards tilt to it, combining that with the slight upwards angle of the overhead cupboards evens out and it ends up sitting vertically. Looks a little weird mounting it to the front of a door, but given that Jayco have stuffed up the side of my cupboards over the fridge (which would have given the ideal spot to locate it in conjunction with the TV bracket), there isn't much else convenient. (I did think about one of the side panels of either cupboard either side of the main door, but am worried that will make it too tempting to someone wandering past just to snatch given it is basically an Android tablet)
IMG_0210.JPG

Interestingly, there is a little matchbox sized "doodad" that converts 12V power to the USB cable located behind the fridge to power the tablet, so it could be relocated anywhere within the van there is power. View looking down from top external vent of fridge:
IMG_0212.JPG

And further, the connection of 12v to the "matchbox" is on a spade bit, so could use the existing 12V wires to power something else in that location to hid ether screw holes from the J-Hub bracket, such as USB or cigarette lighter power, and then using some spade bits, run an additional power feed to wherever the J-Hub is to be relocated to (if still in the nearby vicinity). This is zoomed in looking up from lower fridge vent :
IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited: