TV arm install

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
I have purchased a TV arm and wonder if any member has installed one in their van.
I have ordered a 2014 Starcraft 13.42.1. OB and I want to install it at the end of the single bed on the fridge/ ac side wall.
I need to know if there are any studs behind that wall.
Would I have to remove fridge / ac unit to fix the arm onto that wall?
The photo is from a 2013 van showing a similar TV arm.
Jayco want to charge a fortune to supply and install hence the reason I bought my own tv arm.

Attachments

• d1132502584975_f-Resized640x480.jpg
    d1132502584975_f-Resized640x480.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 331

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
OK, I will have a crack. There will be pipes behind wall (gas and refridg' plus wires & insulation etc) so be careful. Is your plan to travel with the TV in place? Pretty sure the common practice is to remove the TV when van is in transit. We do anyway, therefore if you were going to remove it each time, then short screws should be OK, but measure your drill bit and screws. There will be no studs, the van is just built like kitchen cupboards with manufactured particle board covered in pretty paper.

Reactions: blacky

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Hi Macca,
No , we will travel with the TV removed from the ARM .
Thanks for the safety concerns re pipes etc.
I will proceed with great caution.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
Next to where they installed my tv point they put an extra
Piece of wood behind it. I took the micro wave out and used nylon nuts and bolts to install the arm. I stuck big washers on to. I leave the tv in place have done 6000 kms and it doesnt appear to have moved at all. Have alook at my thread 17 55 5sh towed by commodore thread theres a picture in it, i dont know how to link it. Mine is the same arm that is in the pic above

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/discovery-17-55-5sh-towed-by-commodore.2034/

Reactions: jtdt

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Hi fishinglizard.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Your arn sits on the same area as I want to put mine.
I have the Herron ac where your microwave is.
So I will need to see if I can remove front cover to access the area and install some wood to hold the arm thing.
We get our new van end of Feb but bought the arm as Jayco want the earth to fit one.
Your van looks great and we cant wait to get away.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
How much did your dealer want to charge for Jayco the fit the bracket? I think the bracket they use is a very good one.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Next to where they installed my tv point they put an extra
Piece of wood behind it. I took the micro wave out and used nylon nuts and bolts to install the arm. I stuck big washers on to. I leave the tv in place have done 6000 kms and it doesnt appear to have moved at all. Have alook at my thread 17 55 5sh towed by commodore thread theres a picture in it, i dont know how to link it. Mine is the same arm that is in the pic above

G'day @fishinglizard. Do you strap your TV down at all or just travel with it in the bracket without straps? Sorry to hijack John Taylor.

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Supply and fit around $200 plus.
Mine came from Carac .It was $70 but show special 2013 cost me $59.
MYVI model UR37T-B very well made.
Comes with little bracket with spring loaded pin to lock it against wall.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
Its got a flat piece that slips down and screws on which holds the bracket close in and stops side to side movement. The up down movement of the screen has not really moved but u can tighten it a bit with an allan key.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
if we can't get access behind the panel for some reason we usually make a a board for the front, same colour and edges, bit of adhesive on the back of it, slap it on the wall and screw in place with capped screws, then fasten the tv bracket to that. if we can get access behind it, then it usually just a reverse process, but not necessarily to dress it up if it's hidden. Jayco can make a colour matched edge board to the size you want