Electrical TV Antenna wiring help please

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have actually changed mine to those clips that are like bobby pins, just can't remember their proper name.

Reactions: Colsar

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
hi there @Crusty181 , sorry to bother you , what size dish would be the normal for caravanning
Im pretty sure mines 80cm, but its offset, so its higher than its width. Theres a scale that reflects the size dependant on location ... the 80 is over kill in the south, but slightly too small way way up north.

A house size 60cm Foxtel dish down south is ample

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Got me interested now. Do you need the more current foxtel dish? Something about 2 sets of wires from memory.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Im pretty sure mines 80cm, but its offset, so its higher than its width. Theres a scale that reflects the size dependant on location ... the 80 is over kill in the south, but slightly too small way way up north.

A house size 60cm Foxtel dish down south is ample

thats ok , i have just purchased an 85cm dish with the arm and little white thingy ( LNB ) i think you gurus call it, what ever it stands for. thats a start and the wifes happy at the moment cause its only $20, ;)

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
thanks @Crusty181 , slowly learning.

just looking at wiki camps app on the iPad, if has a sat finder, can i use that and avoid buying one, looks pretty easy. good in fact ?

And the update to my van antenna, had the guy out , well not the original guy he sent some one else, never worked on a van before and hadn't seen the jayco wall plate booster before.
he changed the connections, re run a cable from the wall plate to the point on the other side of the van, turns out the original one was ok, spend 2.5 hrs on van to tell me my antenna was RS, charged me $80 call out plus $240 labour = $320 ouch. and still didn't work.

the old win guard was no good for ditigal any way, but he didn't know.

so went and purchase new snow flake retro kit, easy to fit DIY, and now at home in the drive get 21 to 28 channels how it should.

But still building up a sat kit for the fun of it ………………..

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
thanks @Crusty181 , slowly learning.

just looking at wiki camps app on the iPad, if has a sat finder, can i use that and avoid buying one, looks pretty easy. good in fact ?

And the update to my van antenna, had the guy out , well not the original guy he sent some one else, never worked on a van before and hadn't seen the jayco wall plate booster before.
he changed the connections, re run a cable from the wall plate to the point on the other side of the van, turns out the original one was ok, spend 2.5 hrs on van to tell me my antenna was RS, charged me $80 call out plus $240 labour = $320 ouch. and still didn't work.

the old win guard was no good for ditigal any way, but he didn't know.

so went and purchase new snow flake retro kit, easy to fit DIY, and now at home in the drive get 21 to 28 channels how it should.

But still building up a sat kit for the fun of it ………………..
It helps if they dont use your hard earned to fumble around with no idea. But charging you after all that is a little stinky

I been pointing the thing so long, I generally use just a compass, but the WikiCamp App is all I use if I need to find a clear shot thru trees etc. Its a great App generally, and the satellite finder component is priceless.

I use to use the Dish Finder App which does the same thing .... and it was $25 odd.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Colin&Sue youll need a signal strength meter to accurately point the dish. The WikiCamp app will give you close to, and you use the signal strength meter to pinpoint the satellite.

You disconnect coax from the LNB, connect the meter inline between the coax and the LNB. It squeals as you move the dish around the area WikiCamps told you to point it ... the loudest squeal is the satelitte. The final movements of the dish are quite fine.

Remove the meter and replug the coax direct to the LNB and your go to go.

The meters cost anywhere from $10 online to $500 ..... ive used the same $10 ebay one for years. Does what it needs to very well
20150121_214327.jpg

Reactions: skippy

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
thanks @Crusty181 your help on this matter is appreciated, its people like you ( and others ) on this forum that make it a pleasure.

As for the bill - half a job / half a payment. and as it turned out when he left , he left the connections on the booster the wrong way round, all ok now with new snow flake and after i tightened and re plugged what he had left me, oh and i have put the van back together too.

will look into a meter as you suggest, $10 bucks sounds good ! ;)

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Got me interested now. Do you need the more current foxtel dish? Something about 2 sets of wires from memory.
@macca any Foxtel dish is fine. The iQ set top boxes have 2 inputs, and LNB (white doohickey on the dish arm) has twin outputs to suit. You can use a single cable and just use a splitter behind the set top box and youll get all Foxtel content ..... but not the Foxtel broadcast free to air channel. Youll need a coaxial switch to get around that, which is a little like a splitter with a switch on it

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
@macca any Foxtel dish is fine. The iQ set top boxes have 2 inputs, and LNB (white doohickey on the dish arm) has twin outputs to suit. You can use a single cable and just use a splitter behind the set top box and youll get all Foxtel content ..... but not the Foxtel broadcast free to air channel. Youll need a coaxial switch to get around that, which is a little like a splitter with a switch on it
OK thanks, first I will look for a dish, wont be hard, I see them dumped all the time.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Have to check our aerial when we come back home. We got back a few channels only which is weird as first week we had all. No 7,9 or sbs outside inside they come and go. Kids where not happy as they went while watching superman
Might run lead externally and see if lead or location. Although seeing it was fine for first week until we got winds and the roof lead would of been blown around I say it's the &@&&& coax I told them about when we got the van. Will be 4th time back grgrgrgrgrg

Anyone know how hard it is to pull through a cable yourself from roof to inside Van

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
also worth remembering that different areas use different frequency's (for Free to air). When we go out to my brothers which is 3 hours drive, have to retune the tv. So is always worth trying a retune when in different areas.

BJ