Electrical TV Antenna wiring help please

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
So up through the 4 seasons hatch again.
Run new coax through hatch connect to where roof comes in overhead cupboard. All channels perfect retune 2nd TV all channels perfect.
Connect end of new coax to the coax from the roof
Half the channels drop out. So it's not the extra length. It's the &@&&& coax from roof like I told them in May. Why they cannot just replace the whole cable is beyond me.

I tried connection roof directly through the new coac cable via the external in although need to put 12v into masthead to get channels.

Now I could run the coax I have from the roof down through the external in outside and swap the connections in the splitter so can feed 12v up on roof. Although really can't be......

Not sure how hard a job to re run the cable I can see it's all siliconed into roof. Although been back 3 times it must be not easy otherwise they have done it the first time .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@davemc when you show them their cable is pox, and yours works fine, theyll have little choice but to replace it ..... the antenna is generally reasonably close to the wall plug. The shorter and straighter the easier. How long would your roof coax be

Theyre not really designed with replacement of anything in mind ..... if/when our washing machine goes kar-boom its going to be a challenge to get it out. The entire van is build around it ... ha

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have told them three times now they said they adjusted and it's fine now. I explained how moving it will not fix a faulty cable......
I asked each time have you replaced they said NO
The long cable I have I brought up the Gold Coast as it went before grand final it's 10m as the site up there had a TV antenna on ensuite roof.
I would run my own coax if I could see it was a easy job the truck load of silicone where it goes into roof probably be the start of nightmare

I gather it's not easy otherwise they do it first time, 4 times way to many as I gather some idiot put a staple through it on assembly line. Pretty sure we are a Friday arvo Van.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
image.jpg
Thanks @Drover it works great I finally got around to making it

@Drover Gadget , it should be 13db, here's the link if your want to build you own, http://www.perite.com/vk7jj/optusyagi.html this is for Optus but there is a link for Telstra if need be, there is also a very,very big blog on it all on Whirlpool. http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/homemade_yagi

While the link shows using metal mine is built using old TV aerial bars and normal old conduit but a drill press is needed to get the accuracy for the holes as you need mm tolerence for the best outcome.
My dish works very well at home haven't used the yagi on the road yet but works well locally, I have a similar whip aerial and found it 's not as good as I expected also, about to build a new Yagi for the van with some sort of adjustable mounting bracket which I haven't designed yet.
image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks good @Capt. Gadget you may need to mod your mount though as you need to adjust not only in the horizontal but elevation as well for some towers otherwise you are pointing at the bottom of a hill. Put an end cap on each end to keep moisture and bugs out.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Looks good @Capt. Gadget you may need to mod your mount though as you need to adjust not only in the horizontal but elevation as well for some towers otherwise you are pointing at the bottom of a hill. Put an end cap on each end to keep moisture and bugs out.
And my wife can't sweep up so I'll have to give her broom back I told her it was taped up there so she couldn't fly away this weekend, brave huh