Starcraft Truma E 2400 Gas Ducted Heater for 22.68-1

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi guys and gals.
Just wondering whether anyone has fitted a Truma E 2400 Gas Ducted Heater in there 22.68-1 and if so where did they mount it.
I am considering putting one in but not sure where to put it. Was going to put it under the main bed but don't know how/where to route the exhaust to the side of the van.
We have the café style dinnete and also thought about putting it under one of the seats near the hot water heater.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi Phil,

We have specified one for fitment to our 22.68-1, however ours isn't even being built for another few months...

After talking to the dealer, we have whittled it down to one of two locations (bearing in mind, ours is an L-shaped dinette).

1. Under the fridge, in the otherwise vacant space behind the Setec unit; or
  2. Near the hot water heater.
If you do any fitting in the next few weeks, I would be interested in feedback on where you decided to mount it, and any issues you encountered.

The dealer told us that they have fitted diesel models to the space behind the Setec unit.

With our L-shaped dinette, a fair bit of space will be consumed beside the wheel-arch as that is where the dual batteries are being mounted. However there should be sufficient space ahead of that, near the hot water heater.

With either of the locations proposed, there should be sufficient clearance between the flue/exhaust and the nearest window, that your gas-fitter should not have any complaints (need a minimum of something like 300mm to the nearest cabin opening/window etc).

Cheers,

Doc

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks Doc.
The best place would be under the main bed so that the hot air is blown down the centre of the van but the only problem with this is trying to vent the exhaust. Hoping I can send it down through the floor and then to the side of the van.
Behind the setec is an option but then I cant direct the hot air down the van, it would blow out towards the stove.
Under the café dinette seating is my other option but will have similar issues with directing the hot air.
My gas fitter has gone on a trip around Australia for 6 months so will have to wait until he returns as he is doing it for mates rates.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Yes, definitely difficult to work out the best place to send the hot air vents. We'll be having 2 outlets installed, and their locations will depend on the place the heater unit is installed.

If the heater is installed under the dinette, one outlet will point to the double bed (where air will deflect, and fill that area of the van), the other will point down the length of the van.

If the unit is installed under the fridge....dunno! Have to wait until the van is delivered and work out the best place to run the conduit.

I agree with you that it is necessary to have a vent directing heated air along the vans 'long axis'.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi guys. We have the truma installed in our l shape lounge closest to the door. The vent points down the van towards the bunks. I csn assure you there is no need to worry about heat distribution. The whole van heats up in no time!

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi Relgate,

Do you do much cold weather camping? Eg, Blue Mountains in winter, Jindabyne etc? Just trying to get an idea of what you might consider cold, as the starting temp will help determine what "heat the van up in no time" means :)

Cheers,

Doc

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We took it down to the snow last year and stayed at sawpit creek. Temps below zero over night and not too far off during the day. The van is such an enclosed small space, it really does heat super quick. We usually only free camp, and do so year 'round, and we never think twice about the weather/temps because of the heater.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Relgate,

Do you do much cold weather camping? Eg, Blue Mountains in winter, Jindabyne etc? Just trying to get an idea of what you might consider cold, as the starting temp will help determine what "heat the van up in no time" means :)

Cheers,

Doc
Mind you, I see you are in Hobart.....
Pretty cold down there! I can see why you are giving a lot of thought to the heater install!

Reactions: dagree

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi Relegate, thanks for the feedback. I used to live down towards the NSW alps - know the Sawpit Creek region well! Awesome info :)

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for the info. I have the café style dinette so hoping if I put it under there it will still blow hot air down the van.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hey Phil - I reckon if the unit is installed under the "front" part of the dinette, you could install the outlet as close to the end as possible, pointing 'down the length' of the van, and you would still get a good result, based on the excellent advice provided by Relgate.

Reactions: relgate and Rockape

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey Phil - I reckon if the unit is installed under the "front" part of the dinette, you could install the outlet as close to the end as possible, pointing 'down the length' of the van, and you would still get a good result, based on the excellent advice provided by Relgate.

Im feeling the pressure now...

Reactions: dagree