trouble with the lift-up stays in overhead cupboards

Johnstons

Aug 10, 2012
Anywhere in the great outdoors
hi all just wandering if anyone can help .the lift-up stays in our overheads in our 16.49 expanda are so hard they are a pain to open and an even bigger pain to close as they slam so hard they are stuffing up the latches.i would like to replace them with some adjustable ones but dont know where to start,any sugestions would be appreciated

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi johnstons, I know what you mean, if they are like the ones in our van we just sold you can try backing off the tension with the adjustment screw at the back of the assembly. I did this with ours but still too much tension, the problem is the spring is way too heavy for what it needs to do so you can change the spring for a lighter gauge as it only needs to hold the door up. If you decide to do that, remove the spring by unscrewing the tensioner screw and measure the diameter and length so you know what to look for, it just needs to be a smaller wire thickness than what they use. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Burnsy.

Johnstons

Aug 10, 2012
Anywhere in the great outdoors
Thanks after alot of trial and error we have just pulled the springs out (which are so strong they could pull a truck!) and replaced with smaller gauge wire springs, they just needed to be a bit longer to hold the lid right up.
Works a treat.

ah197331

Jan 23, 2012
Thanks after alot of trial and error we have just pulled the springs out (which are so strong they could pull a truck!) and replaced with smaller gauge wire springs, they just needed to be a bit longer to hold the lid right up.
Works a treat.

Could you just cut the length of the original spring, so it doesn't have as much pre-load on it?

Andrew