Starcraft Trigg hitch on 2014 Starcraft 20ft OB full size

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi all, after some help / advice.

We have just bought ( having built ) a Starcraft Outback 20.62.2.

I asked the sales rep for a trigg hitch, and was told that jayco dont put them on full size vans. Wondering if thats true or just BS and if its true is there a reason not to have one.

We are selling / Trading our 2012 Expand outback 14.44.4, and it had a trigg hitch, and i loved it as we did alot of dirt roads and just towed so well.

Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Could be true as you can't fit a WDH to them but you can with a McHitch so that may be a better option.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I'm pretty sure that the Tregg hitch doesn't cut it for the weight of the bigger vans, which may be why you can't order it. What about a D035?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW

I asked the sales rep for a trigg hitch, and was told that jayco dont put them on full size vans. Wondering if thats true or just BS and if its true is there a reason not to have one.

We are selling / Trading our 2012 Expand outback 14.44.4, and it had a trigg hitch, and i loved it as we did alot of dirt roads and just towed so well.

Thanks
Be careful changing hitch under warranty, I was advised by Jayco Customer Support and my dealer that if something went wrong and I did not have a factory fitted hitch my warranty claim may have an issue. I was looking at fitting the 3.5 tonne McHitch auto coupler, which looks to be one of the best out there.

My plan is to beef up my Pajero rear suspension with Polyair bags, Lovell springs and Bilstein shocks (also buy a tow ball scale to check loading and ball weight). I have done the Pajero modifications already. I will then do my 12 months warranty period with the standard hitch; then most likely take the risk and move to an auto coupling 3.5 tonne McHitch. My new van a Starcraft Outback 18.55-3 with some options, will be about 2100kg unloaded and around the 2500kg loaded. I am not a fan of WDH especially on unpaved country roads so I am trying not to fit one.

Jayco seem to have a strange attitude to hitches, they only fit the Hyland hitch which is a good Australian made hitch (from Queensland) to vans up to 2 tonnes, Hyland make a 3.5 tonne rated hitch, but Hyland advised me Jayco will not buy them for factory fitting. The Hyland does look good and uses the existing 50mm tow ball. However, it has some issues with non standard 50mm tow balls out of China and does need to be kept carefully adjusted. I believe Jayco have a similar attitude to the Trigg hitch (I think the Tregg hitch is yet another type of hitch?).

The big mystery is why Jayco will not fit a better hitch to their vans over 2 tonnes yet they do it in the factory to vans up to this weight.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well your standard ball hitch is cheap as dirt..................The major difference between a Trig and a Tregg is basically the tow bar mount with one being cast and the other being fabed steel both suffer from chinese copies which are not at all good, the highest rating is I think 3 ton.

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Well your standard ball hitch is cheap as dirt..................The major difference between a Trig and a Tregg is basically the tow bar mount with one being cast and the other being fabed steel both suffer from chinese copies which are not at all good, the highest rating is I think 3 ton.
The fitting of a better hitch even as a paid factory or dealer option would be a big improvement over standard hitch for heavier vans.
In the long run would be cheaper for many van owners.
Many users will fit a better hitch after delivery of van or once van is out of warranty.

Reactions: bigcol

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Thanks all for your comments, i might look around for a better ball hitch over the standard one. We are planning a big trip next year with lots of dirt, just how i like it.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Thanks all for your comments, i might look around for a better ball hitch over the standard one. We are planning a big trip next year with lots of dirt, just how i like it.
Don't forget to post what type you decide on. I spoke to the Hyland on the phone (ball hitch) and they were very helpful, so was Joe from McHitch (not ball type hitch).
Good Luck.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA

Thanks
Hi @GregW, we have ordered a 21-64 OB expanda and wanted a different hitch but were told no also. Reason we were given was it couldn't handle the weight of the van. Looked at other types of vans and saw they had the standard ball type as well.

Reactions: bigcol