Tri-fold table mod

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
image.jpg
Hi all!
Have posted this elsewhere in the forum, but it's made such a difference to our glamping experiences that I thought the good old tri-fold table is due its own thread.
Can confidently say that this is by far the best factory-mod (of well over a dozen, inc moving the battery & control panel switches to the kitchen wall, extended drawbar, spring mattresses, extra 240&12V ppoints, w'gard aerial, gas bayonet, external shower,drop-down picnic table, internal shelving, etc etc) that we had done in our 17-56-2 OB.
We enjoy the extra space every day. With three kids it can get quite cosy; the trifold means no shuffling in and out; easy to get up & walk out; folds out really easily for inside meals/board games etc on rainy days, & the storage shelf underneath is great for toddlers & kids to be able to help themselves to their toys & books.
Still plenty enough room on it for plate of biccies & 1/2 dozen coffee mugs/wine glasses, or kids to do their thing (as per photo below), but at same time gives lots of extra standing room & makes van feel so much more spacious.
Jayco's version (disappointingly, bc we didnt know until pickup) is, tho strong enough, very flimsy compared to some of the other brands we saw that gave us the idea. We use an old dip container (a highly technical mod to the mod!) under the leg when it's folded up bc it's heaps easier than adjusting the telescopic stand each time.. Makes it a 10second process instead of 2 minutes of fiddling.
This aside, we love it, as do a couple of handy buddies with a bit of gear and nouse who continue to rave about tri- folds after having made one up to replace the standard tables in their own vans.
Not 100% sure on factory price but from memory was either $99 or $125 extra to change from standard. Well worth it even if a stack more, IMHO.

Hope this helps one or two of you out there, because I cannot begin to tell you all how your comments, ideas, pictures & enthusiasm has helped me!!

Thanks, & all the best :)
image.jpg

image.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Is it just a shorter table or one that can be folded out and extended? Not sure what make sit 'tri fold'

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Yeah it folds out Marv the top is in 3 pieces.
The first section forms the top of the storage unit below and is fixed.
The second hinges from this off the external edge of the table (closest to the door, opposite the window).
The third section hinges from the other end of this and is the largest. It's the one that forms the short table pictured in the photograph.
When you want to extend the table, you pull the third (top) section up and pull out so the the second section hinges extend at both ends such that it sits adjacent to the fixed first section and the third section forms the end of the extended (normal length) table.
I know a picture would explain a whole lot better, but we're away for a couple of weeks (not in the van), so can't go snap a few shots of it in 'unfolding action' right now. @Holden_man.. are you able to do so for Marv? Or @Joanne? Else we can post photo when we're back.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I like it, very clever. There are only 2 of us but might consider it, the table as it is often gets in the way. Thanks for the (upside down) photos.

Reactions: 17triton

Deebannatyne

Nov 25, 2017
Bendigo
View attachment 19477 Hi all!
Have posted this elsewhere in the forum, but it's made such a difference to our glamping experiences that I thought the good old tri-fold table is due its own thread.
Can confidently say that this is by far the best factory-mod (of well over a dozen, inc moving the battery & control panel switches to the kitchen wall, extended drawbar, spring mattresses, extra 240&12V ppoints, w'gard aerial, gas bayonet, external shower,drop-down picnic table, internal shelving, etc etc) that we had done in our 17-56-2 OB.
We enjoy the extra space every day. With three kids it can get quite cosy; the trifold means no shuffling in and out; easy to get up & walk out; folds out really easily for inside meals/board games etc on rainy days, & the storage shelf underneath is great for toddlers & kids to be able to help themselves to their toys & books.
Still plenty enough room on it for plate of biccies & 1/2 dozen coffee mugs/wine glasses, or kids to do their thing (as per photo below), but at same time gives lots of extra standing room & makes van feel so much more spacious.
Jayco's version (disappointingly, bc we didnt know until pickup) is, tho strong enough, very flimsy compared to some of the other brands we saw that gave us the idea. We use an old dip container (a highly technical mod to the mod!) under the leg when it's folded up bc it's heaps easier than adjusting the telescopic stand each time.. Makes it a 10second process instead of 2 minutes of fiddling.
This aside, we love it, as do a couple of handy buddies with a bit of gear and nouse who continue to rave about tri- folds after having made one up to replace the standard tables in their own vans.
Not 100% sure on factory price but from memory was either $99 or $125 extra to change from standard. Well worth it even if a stack more, IMHO.

Hope this helps one or two of you out there, because I cannot begin to tell you all how your comments, ideas, pictures & enthusiasm has helped me!!

Thanks, & all the best :)
View attachment 19478
View attachment 19479
Hi. Can you please let me know where you purchased the table from? It’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks.

Reactions: G Daddy

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Hi,
If you check my thread, I give details of how I got mine from Jayco by finding a model at the dealer that had one with similar vinyl pattern/colour, quoting the chassis number and ordering the flat pack through the dealer from Jayco.
The 14.44-5 doesn’t have one but as you can see from my mod list, only minor modifications made it a perfect fit.
In Rome at the moment with flakey WiFi so cant easily check which mod it was.