Trailer plug wiring

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, just went to change my socket on tug from 7 to 12 pin and found it has two more wires in the plug. They don't connect to any of the seven pins, they are the 2 very outside wires (purple and grey) light gauge and connect into terminals but I can only see a rubber type strip below the 7 pins in line with these terminals. Does anyone know about this and what they do? The 7 pin socket is a Lumen brand!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
There is no voltage to these wires when car running or not. This plug was wired from dealer!

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Burnsy,

Does your Pajero have reversing sensors and do they turn off when you connect the caravan. If so these could be the wires that disconnect the reversing sensors so that you do not pick up the caravan when reversing. Just a thought.

Cheers

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for the replies, I have read some blogs from a pajero club and it looks like these wires are for the reversing sensor however it still beeps when you put in reverse with van on and plugged in, you have to manually turn it off on the dash so they don't seem to work anyway!
Picture 700.jpg

Cheers.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Burnsy is that the original plug in your pic. If your changing that to a 12 pin plug make sure you get the one that has the normally closed reed switch.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi seanparky, yes it is the original 7 pin plug. I bought a Narva 12 pin but doesn't have the other terminals, is this for reversing sensor? please explain reed switch!

Cheers.