18' Series Towinng a 18.57.5

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Hi all, hope a few of you more experienced travelers can help.

We have a 2009 150 series Petrol Prado. The Ball weight is fine for the new van but am concerned that the max towing on the Prado is only 2500Kg.
The new 18.57.5 O/B model is coming in at 2140Kg, & that's without any extras on. let alone water in 2 tanks 200Kg, clothes, food etc.

Have seen alot on here that have the Pathfinder, as these are rated at 3000Kg towing.
Question is, any way I can tow the new beast with the Prado , or do I need to look at the Pathfinder (second hand 2009)??

Please help

Simon & Sue

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'm guessing that weight is the tare weight that is on the compliance plate?
If you already have the van you need the ATM listed on the plate to be less than the rated towing capacity of the tow vehicle, ie. 2500kg
If the ATM is over that figure the legally you can't tow it with that vehicle. That's not to say it won't tow it comfortably, it's just a legality.

My van is currently 49kg over the rated capacity of my car, but it tows it really well.
When the lease is up in June this year I will be replacing it with something that will be within legal towing limits.

Reactions: simond

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Either way you will be right on the limit of the prado regardless so it really comes down to what you are comfortable with towing.

There is also another argument about ATM and GTM etc but I am not going to get into that :).

I personally have a pathfinder and love it to bits and yes it does have 3T tow limit but if you go down that path make sure you have a hayman reese towbar if using a WDH.

The only thing I found with the pathfinder was ball weight affects GVM, this is the case on most nissans but the pathfinder goes like this

Towball load reduction -

100kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 70kg
150kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 130kg
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 200kg
250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 270kg
300kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 350kg

Reactions: simond

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
We too have the Pathy to tow with. If you get one, go for the series 4. This has the 450nm motor as opposed to the 410nm motor. The series 4 has better features, more power, better fuel consumption and better sound insulation.

You may pay more but well worth the cost. We payed $46900 for ours in an auto ST back in oct 2010. It tows great although we only have a 16 49 1 outback.

My parents have a dec 2010 series 4 Ti and they tow a Paramount which is around the 2500 weight and they thinks it tows well. And they only use around the 14-15LPH when they tow.

You will find the quality not as good as Playdo but they are a lot cheaper and better bang for your buck...

As mentioned before make sure you get a Heeyman reese towbar so you can use WDH. Well worth getting and also recommend airbags in the rear suspension. This prevents sag in the rear. We have air in ours even when not towing as it gives better handling

Another thing, towing on or close to the limit is madness. All you need to do is have an accident and you wont have insurance cover. Even if the car "feel good" towing the weight, there is a reason why they dont. It isnt all about power when towing. They put a tow capacity in for a reason. Think braking system, transmission, chassis etc.

Hope this helps

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
If you are careful loading it you will be OK.

Be wary of what Jayco say will be Tare (2140kg) at the sale stage. You won't know what the tare is until it is built and weighed. Our 17.56-2 has an approx tare of 1740kg in the 2011 brochure but on delivery it was 1808kg - 68 kg heavier. We added a battery, gas bayonets, awning and aircon which are additional to what the factory builds them with. I am guessing that an aircon in your caravan will be standard therefore included in the estimated weight, but TV's etc won't be.

One thing about Toyota though is if they say 2500kg, they mean it - this will be factored (have a fudge figure built in) so even if it is heavier than you estimate, you may be OK. Pajero is 3000kg for what it's worth and your Prado will have good re-sale value!

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Thanks to all for your wise imformation on the weight problem we have.
After a late night reading others posts on this topic, we have decided at present we will have to go to the 17.56.2 O/B model to help with the weight. next time I will up grade tow vehicle well above needs .

Thanks again

Simon & Sue

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks to all for your wise imformation on the weight problem we have.
After a late night reading others posts on this topic, we have decided at present we will have to go to the 17.56.2 O/B model to help with the weight. next time I will up grade tow vehicle well above needs .

Thanks again

Simon & Sue

Wise and very smart decision :)!!!!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Towball load reduction -

100kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 70kg
150kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 130kg
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 200kg
250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 270kg
300kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 350kg

Thats true for the diesel only though. If looking at a Series III and below Petrol model
170kg GVM
200kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 40kg
250kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 100kg
300kg Reduced loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 170kg

This is my bug-bear. If I had a Petrol model, I'm well within legal limits, with the Diesel, I'm 20kg over on the towball.

Simon and Sue
Good decision. Happy travels