20' Series towing with full or empty water tanks?

dugite57

Nov 18, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Just wondering what the thoughts are on towing with full or empty water tanks when going to a destination with water supplied? Our 20.64-1 has 3 x 85 litre tanks, so that's about 255kg. The limited tows I've done with this van have been with all empty, all full and last time front two tanks full, back empty. Didn't notice enough difference to comment on, but my BIL reckons they tow better with tanks full. What's the general consensus? I'm thinking if you don't need the water why lug the weight. Or maybe just fill the front 85 litres for some more ball weight?

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I have found that our van, if pack full inside, is OK with the tanks empty. If it is empty inside, then it tows better with the tanks full. (With our swan it always towed better empty.) don't like traveling with tanks half full, as I just think of all that water sloshing about and trying to move the van with it.

Reactions: skippy and bigcol

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Would be interested in others thoughts as well. All I would say is keep most weight over the axles. With three tanks if the tanks start to move to far from the axels I would leave the furthest tanks away from axles empty until you arrive.

Can look it up but seen a YouTube clip showing a model towing a caravan and the effect of the same amount of weight when the weight is moved further away from the axles it gets more and more unstable.

Watch this,

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We always travel full ... we like to guarantee we always have good water. Fuel economy might suffer, but i doubt by enough to worry about, and my car has ample power so thats no issue.

We're do regular o/n road side stops, and lunch stops at parks etc. They o/n road stops can be a bit random to. We're currently at whats listed as c/park, but turned out theres no taps near where we are sited.

The onboard water is just nice to have there.

Even had the odd shower whilst sitting parked in a carpark.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yeah. I love using the shower after a packup, particularly after we've been camped for some time.

I'm sure others appreciate it as well.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
we always run our full, no difference in economy with the Patrol and ensures we always have plenty of water if we have issues connecting a hose.

Reactions: Crusty181

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have always been told to run full to make sure the van rides low with the weight. We now have three tanks two in front of the axles and one behind.. With the crap in the front boot not sure I need both the front tanks filled.
I do know people who do not fill the tanks as they are getting close to their weights with their tow vehicle.
Also know those who do not fill as always go caravan parks and do not want the extra fuel costs.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
We mainly tow our panda with full water tanks as we mainly free camp and it always pay to have as much water as we can carry. Also find that pand tows better with full tanks too. We also have 3 water tanks and always empty the rear one first as I find it seems to be better balanced when travelling.

Reactions: bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
With the Swan, we only went to caravan parks and it towed well so never bothered to fill the tank.
With the Basestation, we free camp the occasional night so like at least 1 tank full. Depends on loading in the back of the BS whether we fill both, front, or rear tank as ballast.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@dugite57 I find our 17.56.2 tows better with both tanks full.
Plus Mrs Dagree doesn't like chancing the quality of park water for drinking. Obviously when free camping they are always full ;)

Reactions: skippy and bigcol

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
Would be interested in others thoughts as well. All I would say is keep most weight over the axles. With three tanks if the tanks start to move to far from the axels I would leave the furthest tanks away from axles empty until you arrive.

Can look it up but seen a YouTube clip showing a model towing a caravan and the effect of the same amount of weight when the weight is moved further away from the axles it gets more and more unstable.

Watch this,
That is amazing to see what you have always known put into a simple test rig. I'm a little scared about my next packing up mission

Reactions: bigcol and JT76

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used to have at least one full for just in case also for side of road smoko or breakdowns except for long tours then both always full. Handy if there is pile up and your stuck for hours, set up camp and sell coffee, bake some scones, make a fortune.