17' Series Towing Mirrors - advice please

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
to me - Clearview all the way, yes they are pricey, but ring up and get a quote for a new Standard mirror - they are cheap
Looking at getting a set of clearview mirrors which replace the original vehicle ones and extend out when required.... Not cheap but have been highly recommended to me by others (Just waiting for a 2nd hand set to come up cheap)
From what I have been told keep away from the ones that hook onto your door with pads and straps unless you like scratches on the paintwork!!

I have used both of these and would not tow with anything less the the Clearview! They are a little pricey, but when you think of the fact your towing a van worth more then $40,000 you want peace of mind!

both are sooo true,
yes they look like big ears on the side of your truck
yes at first you have to remember the size of them when parking in small spots
but
after you have had them on the car for a bit, going back to the small stock ones is annoying

I have had mine for about 4 years, and I LOVE them,
so much easier seeing whats in your blind spot when normal driving
reversing into carpark spots - piece of the proverbial
hook up Van, pull them out, and away you go

trust me, I thought my car was Dumbo at first, now I can spot it from anywhere.......

Love the Clearviews (no affiliation or sponsorship)
wouldn't have anything else - by the way, when I used the Bosses 'Cruiser last year to go to Exmouth, pi$$ed to the max I never got a set on her car, and had to use the Aussie Truck Mirrors, scratched the glass ($450.00 +tax replacement) and a small scratch on the paint work, one came loose at 90Kms/p/h trying to drive holding onto the mirror while slowing down so not to loose it completely- I think I left them at a site in Carnarvon they were that crappy
would have been cheaper to buy the Clearviews before I left (another story) in the end.................

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I'm a fan of the milenco, I have tried a number of different types over the last few years inc the truck mirrors & various clip on's & by far these Milenco are easily the best in terms of ease & speed to fit, stability & rear view, I don't have any cons for these when compared to all the others I have tried in the past

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks guys.

@Cheyne78 and @dagree - I've ruled out Clearviews mirrors, have seen them on a Prado and they look ridiculously large. The treasurer aka wife would take out everyone with them on, not to mention that my truck will be called dumbo as it is grey!

@Flossymk1 and @Bellbirdweb - I hadn't heard of Milenco till now. I saw the You Tube clip and was impressed, look nice and large and aerodynamic - they claim no support arm is needed cause they don't blow back. Is this true in your experience? Are these widely available in Oz from caravan accessories stores? Any idea on price?

@Matty4 - The Ora Rossi was on my list, but an magnetic arm on the door is a must to stop blow back and vibration. How often do the suction fail?

Has anyone considered or used magnetic support arms? If so how did they go re scratching. I have noticed with some brands that a pad sits between the door and magnetic mount, does thus stop scratching?

We got ours from our local Jayco dealer - I think we paid something like $130-$140 (cant remember exactly). But they are great - cant fault them so far :)

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I have the milencos too.
The only issue I have with them is they aren't on the same plane as the car mirrors like the ORAs are. Cos of the aerodynamic shape, they sit a few centimeters back from the car mirrors.....
Only recently fitted so yet to experience them actually towing.

Thanks guys.
Has anyone considered or used magnetic support arms? If so how did they go re scratching. I have noticed with some brands that a pad sits between the door and magnetic mount, does thus stop scratching?

I've used the ORAs for a couple years before getting these Milencos. I had a magnetic arm on the drivers side. It didn't stop the mirror blowing in - just made it more awkward it trying to open it again - it put strain on the autofold function (even though I have it deactivated, it still triggers at times ????), but I didn't notice any scratching. The magnet didn't seem to move at all, and while the duco around it was filthy, under the magnet was clean as a whistle.

Reactions: Simon

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks guys.

@Cheyne78 and @dagree - I've ruled out Clearviews mirrors, have seen them on a Prado and they look ridiculously large. The treasurer aka wife would take out everyone with them on, not to mention that my truck will be called dumbo as it is grey!

@Flossymk1 and @Bellbirdweb - I hadn't heard of Milenco till now. I saw the You Tube clip and was impressed, look nice and large and aerodynamic - they claim no support arm is needed cause they don't blow back. Is this true in your experience? Are these widely available in Oz from caravan accessories stores? Any idea on price?

@Matty4 - The Ora Rossi was on my list, but an magnetic arm on the door is a must to stop blow back and vibration. How often do the suction fail?

I had the Ora with magnetic arms, you can be insanely anal and they still seem to scratch the door. Would never fit them to a dark car. Also some of the plastic bits aren't UV stabilized on the Ora's .

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had a set of cheapos that fitted to the mirror, didn't like them and when we got hit by the grain truck it also destroyed the mirrors tow and vehicle. Replaced with Supercheap version of Aussie truck Mirror and is excellant all round and the door pad sits on the trim, no marks, no vibration and quick to remove. No Clearview for my model.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I'm a fan of the milenco, I have tried a number of different types over the last few years inc the truck mirrors & various clip on's & by far these Milenco are easily the best in terms of ease & speed to fit, stability & rear view, I don't have any cons for these when compared to all the others I have tried in the past
I had the Milencos before I upgraded to ClearView. Found they shook as you drove and never got a clear view (no pun intended) of what was behind me. Will not go back.
By the way, have a pair of near new Milencos for sale, only used once (10,700km on last half circle).
You pay the cost of postage and you can have them!

Reactions: Matty4 and dagree

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I had the Milencos before I upgraded to ClearView. Found they shook as you drove and never got a clear view (no pun intended) of what was behind me. Will not go back.
By the way, have a pair of near new Milencos for sale, only used once (10,700km on last half circle).
You pay the cost of postage and you can have them!
PM sent @Marv_mart

Reactions: bigcol

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
:first:Thanks guys. Great insight and advice as always!

The votes are in and it looks like equal first goes to Clearview (for those who tow a lot) and Milenco (for those that don't). A close second was Brunnsguard. I'm glad I asked the question on the forum as I was about to get the Oras and hadn't heard of Milenco or Brunnsguard.

In the end I decide to buy a set of Milenco Aero. They where the biggest mirror and had a decent aerodynamic design, and sit nicely in proportion to the Prado mirrors. Will be testing them out next month when our van arrives.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Brunsgaard mirrors for us too. We have never had an issue with them. They are quick and easy to put on and take off. BUT because they are quick and easy to put on and take off don't leave them unattended for too long...Dad had one of his knocked off last week at the petrol station while he went to the dunny...mongrels!!

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I am very interested in getting a pair of Milencos for my Pajero a bit worried about the extra load on the folding mirrors.
Already had one mirror replaced under warranty, no towing mirror on it, it just got a rattle and Mitsubishi replaced it. I have seen a support arm on Caravanplus website with suction cup (not Milenco brand, but looks like would fit).
Maybe buy the arm for drivers side only and see how it goes?

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Which ones @twscoot the aero 2 or the grand aero?
I'm going to buy a set to try before we head off for a few days over the Melb Cup long weekend

Aero 2 XXL seen here

http://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/milenco-aero-2-xxl-mirror/

Whilst initially I thought they were too wide I stuck with them and have resisted the temptation to bring them in narrower to sit right beside the car mirrors by cutting off some if the arm. On the jeep they attach best to the lower part of the car mirror.