Tow Vehicle for

AussieKermit

Oct 25, 2018
Queanbeyan
Hey Everybody,

We currently own at CX-5 and were looking at upgrading to a CX-8 however we are thinking of purchasing a caravan in the near future so think we may need to take another path for the tow vehicle.

We are looking at getting the 14.44-4 and was wondering what other people are using to tow. Would love any suggestions for possible vehicles to look at. We currently have an 18 month old. Not having any more children but would like room in the car to store stuff. Hence why we were looking at the CX-8. We didn't need the 7 seats but the extra space is important.

Look forward to hearing some ideas. Thanks in advance!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ditto for @Hylux , you would really be wanting at least a Prado size vehicle so one step up from the CX8, Kluger size. So you have some spare capacity, a good rule of thumb is to have 500kg left when you look at the specs for tow cap and about 100kg spare on ball specs, the specs stated on brochures and plates is usually on the light side so you need wiggle room as its very easy to overload plus you don't want to be on your max limits..... A 14.44 will give you heaps of enjoyment.

Reactions: AussieKermit

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
Have to agree with @DRW, we towed a 14.44-4 with a Commodore with 2100kg tow capacity and then changed to a Grand Cherokee Diesel, 3500kg towing. The difference was like chalk and cheese.

Have a look at the Grand Cherokee. They are much more 'car like' than the other 4wd's. They are only 5 seaters but have plenty of room etc, excellent on fuel, i get around 15l/100km towing our new 19.61-3.

If you need more info let me know or there are plenty of other Jeep owners on here.

Dalliance

Jan 26, 2019
Tweed
@AussieKermit...

Your tow tug is always going to be a compromise. Some insist they want a 4WD like a Prado or 4 door 4WD Ute because they can do everything when holidaying, and just suffer the truck-like ambience around town.

Sadly, all-too-many hardly leave the blacktop.

Others look at the primary purpose for the vehicle and pursue options that enable some offroading.

Though getting a little dated, 2015 onwards models of the Ford Territory AWD/4WD diesel is a particularly good option where urban driving the the dominant mode.

Ash99 is also suggesting to think 'outside the square' with Jeep products.

I use a VW Touareg (4XMotion) 3l turbo diesel that gives me luxury around town, great highway driving and readily pulls my van. As a 4WD, I've taken it to some hairy places. On the highway I get 7 to 8 l/100, while pulling my 2100kg van (on the highway) that goes to 13 to 14 l/100.

As indicated, think of your 'real' day-to-day needs first and holiday needs second.

Cheers

Dalliance

Jan 26, 2019
Tweed
@AussieKermit...

I should add...

Whatever tow tug you choose, give yourself a (relatively) simple rule of thumb.

First, determine the actual weight you'd be pulling.

Take the published tare - in your case Jayco say the Expanda 14.44-4 is 1225kg. Add to that the weight of water and gas and bedding and the tare jumps to 1400kg. I note the load (ie. awnings, food, clothing, etc) is 300kg so the van you'd actually tow is around 1700kg.

Second, determine your tow tug to pull at least 35% more. So, you'd want (at the minimum) a towing capacity of around 2300kg.

Anything more than that makes towing 'sweeter', but is not required if you only intend to haul the van on a couple of occasions each year.

Perhaps the only other proviso is that when towing, a solid rear end helps immensely.

If, perchance, you were intending to do the big lap, then a 3000kg (or more) would make a more pleasant journey.

There is no 'right' vehicle. Rather, what works for you and your family. I'm not a fan of American vehicles (grunt, but no finesse), and while Japanese/Korean vehicles will do the job well, I prefer European vehicles with airbag technology. But, at the end of the day, it's your preference and budget that will guide you.

Cheers