Electrical Tow-Pro Calibration

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Yep running one mate. I found the calibration fairly easy and can't complain about performance. I used redarc's predecessor and found I was constantly adjusting gain etc.
Have towed on two trips with the tow pro and love it.

Reactions: Andrew Grundy

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Also found it very good until I came out of the backyard and had to accelerate hard to get the car to pull the van. I thought I had left the handbrake on until I realised what the cause of it was. The car shuddered until it straightened up and the unit was calibrated. Only other issue was it switched back to manual at one stage and you really know the brakes are working at slow speed when the car stops on a dime with the van in tow. I've got no previous experience to compare it to but I'm very happy and surprised at how well it pulls the van up. A very happy customer.

Reactions: Andrew Grundy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes, I used the older version today, as I had to take my Fathers Van to a repairer
I was planning on using my car, but I didnt have the converter from small 7 pin to LARGE 7 pin
so I used his Pajero
setting the red-arc as I was driving along in peak hour traffic along Marmion Ave was not fun - although his Paj more than made up for it, it
towed the 22' van with ease

a choice between the old Red Arc V's the Tekonsha = Tekonsha hands down.........
Tekonsha and new Tow Pro............ sounds like the new Tow Pro has it.,............

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hopefully I will find out when I pick up my new van late next week. I have installed the new version of tow pro with accelerometer.
I had the earlier version of tow pro in my Pajero and really liked it when I towed my 1.2t Avan. Before that in my old Pajero I had a Tekonsha P3 which worked well, but kept banging my knee. So hence the change to older tow pro which fitted very neatly. The third change of controller is to get ALKO ESC and ALKO break compatibility with my heavier new van (2.1t unladen) and not bang my knee.

Reactions: bigcol and Simon

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
I've got a Tow Pro too - yes its as easy as the clip suggests. The ability to be both a pendulum type controller and be put into manual if you need, plus the ability to mount anywhere you like and not be an obstruction, IMO makes it the best controller out there.

I had been warned that the first time I calibrate it it would feel weird as it would engaged the brakes on and off for a period of about 10 seconds or so. Easy to recalibrate if need be too.

The Tow Pro works with ALKO ESC, provided the construction date is post August. Having said that a sparkie told me that they have re-programmed all the stock so that it works with this so there should be no issue.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I spoke to the fitter who came to do my break-safe monitor who said ALKO sent out a newsletter to installers saying Tow-Pro was not compatible with ESC,
Since looking at REDARC site installer instruction it states that the current Tow-Pro is fully compatible with ESC

time to email Redarc and AL-KO me thinks.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@Bushman apparently, up until August that was the case. The sparkie was an ARB employee who told me that they had recalled all the pre August batches and re programmed them making them compatible.

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
@Bushman apparently, up until August that was the case. The sparkie was an ARB employee who told me that they had recalled all the pre August batches and re programmed them making them compatible.
Not sure if they have officially recalled them but they swapped my pre August non compatible unit for a new one (at no cost) and it works fine with the ESC. The unit I got back was not the same one that was sent.

Reactions: Simon

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Ordered a Tow Pro for $255 on eBay and will be fitting it tomorrow. Just done 2,000km with the van and the Tekonsh P3 and about to do another 1,800km in a few weeks. Will be a good comparison.

Will put in a 4 pin plug so I can change from one to the other of we have issues - but hoping we won't!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Have installed the Tow Pro in the Cruiser.
Nice a small remote head/control knob.
Used the panel on the lower right side of the steering wheel.
Will take it for a test drive tomorrow afternoon.

Cut the Tekonsha P3 wiring that is soldered into place and took the opportunity to put in a 4 pin connector for the brake controller, so if I want to, I can change back to the the P3 if there are issues. Will also put a 4 pin connector on the P3.

IMG_3005.JPG IMG_3003.JPG