Torque vs KW's And Towing

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Looking at another tug and wondering how much torque really affects towing.

The tug I am looking at has more kw's in total power but less torque at the same rpm.

I understand the differences in what torque vs kw's means but wondering if others have changed down in torque and noticed a huge difference when towing?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Torque is the key for when it needs to dig deep particularly when climbing or heading into a head wind. But yes KW is important to but you know what I mean :behindsofa:

Kw is normally the peak power of an engine where torque is more the spread of power over the rev range that keeps everything moving free-random-smileys-367.gif

It also depends where the torque range is strongest and when it starts and drops away in the rev range (power curve)

Reactions: Burnsy and achjimmy

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Depends how much less torque your talkin’ bout 

Torque measures how much work is being done and horsepower measures how fast that work is being done.

More torque is best for down low to get the big girl moving or up a hill, but also better for pulling a brick shape object through the wind, at a lower rpm to save on fuel. Once you’re at speed more power is handy for overtaking, etc where torque may be close to peak.

The engine with more power will work quicker but still not be able to do the same amount of work at that given rpm. So to compensate you drive it harder or just drive slower to match the torque range.

I can’t say that I’ve changed to vehicles down in torque and I never will now that I tow a van - I have found there is huge difference with vehicles that have similar torque but differing rpm range…

Outside of the reduced torque factor what else is different between the vehicles you’re looking at – it might be a moot point if the one you’re looking at weighs 250kg less, is more aerodynamically streamlined, has three extra gears, etc. etc.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep look at the power/ torque curve and Most importantly where the torque comes in.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Thanks all for the comments...

Looking at the figures between old and new vehicles it seems the weight of the new vehicle is slightly less unloaded.

Also the kw's as mentioned is more, the torque is lower but comes on at a slightly lower RPM.

Old Car -

5 Speed Automatic
Kerb Weight (kg) 2210
128kW @ 4000rpm
403Nm @ 2000rpm

New car -

4 Speed Automatic
Kerb Weight (kg) 1926
131kW @ 4000rpm
350Nm @ 1800rpm

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Agree with all the above....no torque no pull....I'm wrapped with the 3.2 TD both in torque and power!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Not much between the 2 expanda, why the upgrade?

Couple of reasons, firstly extra overall load capacity which increases my carrying by 200kg's from about 750kg's to 950kg's ish.

But also with all the boat gear and boat know I would like to get a ute double cab so I can separate luggage from passengers.

Plus more storage space, double cab has about 40% more size in the tray compared to the current boot.

Plus finally and most importantly I get 150kg's on the canopy roof in carrying capacity compared with the current 100kg's on the Pathy's roof.

Which allows me additional storage for the long section of the trailer and the fuel tank to put these up on the canopy roof instead of becoming a projectile in the pathfinder :)!

But yes you are right not much between the two in power figures so might just make the leap and cop the lower torque....

Last edited:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Some good points there expanda, sounds like you have it worked out well :) Not sure if the torque difference would be that noticeable anyway!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Just something else that hasn't been mentioned. The gearbox is a torque multiplying device. You would be going from a 5 speed to a 4 speed. The more speeds (gears) the box has allows the engine to operate more effecctively in its peak efficiency range more of the time.
It obviously also defines the rpm to vehcile speed. This is normally most noticable in top gear cruising.

Reactions: cruza driver