Topping Up Water Supplies

Oct 12, 2015
Newcastle
Hey All,

Just wondering how you all go about topping up your water tanks before going free camping.

EG. If I was going to stay in a place where you need to be self contained, and its a good 400km away from home, is it poor for to travel light on water and fill up tanks at a servo from their 'water' tap (normally near the air).

Or if moving from free camp to free camp for example?

Planning a few trips and just looking at ways on cutting down weight for travel :)

Cheers,

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Same here.....unless we're heading to places we know where water is ok.

Also, we always carry two twenty litre water containers.....empty, most of the time but able to be easily filled so we don't waste home / tank water on things like washing up.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Since we bought our van second hand, and don't really know what has come before us, we don't drink out of our tanks. So we're a little less fussy and happy to fill up wherever. But our free camps haven't been too far away so dragging the extra weight hasn't really concerned us.

But it's an interesting question though. Is there any "etiquette" for filling tanks around the country?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know in WA, every Tourist Info Centre has a tap for filling water tanks on Van
you just have to fight the Back Packers who are doing their dishes and washing at them, thats the only problem

I have about 20-25L in my tank
but carry bottled water for drinking and cooking
I used to have a filter on the hose and use that for drinking, but got gastro once
so not any more

hose is connected for doing dishes

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
But it's an interesting question though. Is there any "etiquette" for filling tanks around the country?
As @bigcol said the Tourist Centres over here have available taps..... The only etiquette that I have heard is when filling from petrol stations, roadhouses etc is "Spend a few dollars and ask if it's OK to fill up" rather than just pull up and connect the hose!

Reactions: bigcol and Smergen
Oct 12, 2015
Newcastle
My van is new to me, second owner, I brought a filter to filter all water going in and did a good flush of the tanks when I got it.

I mainly take bottled drinking water and use the stored water for washing up / toilet and shower but I have drunk from it once or twice out of habbit.

When you are saying you store the tanks full, I understand that is to stop bacteria growth. Do you cicle the water if its sitting there for months on end?

I have often thought about throwing in some of those water tablets from the camping shop too.

I also normally travel with each tank (dual tanks) 1/3 full.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
As @Holden_man mentioned there's the issue of lowering the C of G and possible trailer sway from part full tanks. This latter part can be significant as I found out decades ago before having a van. I had a Falcon with an unbaffled 36 gallon fuel tank very close to the rear and with it half full it became very noticeable the effect on the rear end on winding roads, especially when wet. Sometimes a little flick on the wheel just prior to a corner helped to dampen it. Our 2 van tanks are just either side of the tandem axles and currently the waste tank is between the axles so probable little sway effect. Apart from starting with full tanks I prefer to top up at any suitable location as well.

Reactions: Dobbie and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Depends on the destination. Freecamp with showers how many days etc. If unsure for a weekend trip we fill up bpth tanks at home and if we dont use it pull the plug before driving home.
We drink bottled water cause we are lazy more than anything. $6 for 24 bottles. If i had to rely on those that drink the water to refill a jug and put it back in the fridge id always drink hot. If long freecamps are expected we also take a few jerry cans to fill the van for showers. Cooking with the van wayer is Ok for us cause its boiled.
Have a look under the sink at the clear pvc piping and decide if you would like to drink from it. As for filtering personally couldnt be bothered. If a sign says not potable. Dont drink it.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Depending on my destination on whether I travel with full tanks. A recent trip was from Sydney to Mungo NP with an overnighter in the Hay Big 4 on the way so I travelled with minimum water to Hay then filled up in the CP with a clip on filter on my hose.

Having said that let me say this.
An alternative way to look at it is a full tank is 82kg (if you have 82L tanks). That equates to an adult. How many people baulk at a full water tank but wouldn't with another passenger in the car.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We drink from the van tap, when on mains or tank water when filled from mains supply.
Never had an issue.
We are pretty much the same HM. We do have a Britax filter jug which we use when we think of it as we can keep that in the fridge but we often just fill a glass from the tap.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
As do we.

We bought a water filter but have never used it as we keep forgetting. Also, never bother hooking up water to van if in a caravan park...just use the hose to top up tanks if needed. I know!! Lazy.

Our home water is tank and we always leave home with tanks full ...we're used to that water and don't want any tummy probs. We also always carry a slab of Costco or Coles water bottles and use those for drinking.

I can't think of one occasion where we've run out of water.

All our load calculations are based on full tanks so, hopefully, we'll continue doing the same.

If we were going to a caravan park, we'd probably not fill up water tanks but the van tows well with full tanks so maybe we'd just keep them full.

But we don't travel with kids so our needs are different.

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also fill up both tanks before leaving home (Don't know why as I work in the local water industry and see where it comes from and what goes in it 8-) )

We use that for drinking and the local water for washing etc!

An alternative way to look at it is a full tank is 82kg (if you have 82L tanks). That equates to an adult. How many people baulk at a full water tank but wouldn't with another passenger in the car.

Depends who the other passenger is :D

Reactions: MDS69 and bigcol

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Also fill up both tanks before leaving home (Don't know why as I work in the local water industry and see where it comes from and what goes in it 8-) )
Yep, fish fornicate in rivers and reservoirs and then there's what washes down in to them from nearby countryside that has wildlife roaming through it. We even have Crocodiles in ours.
Generally people drinking water from town supplies are regarded as safe even though seeing what collects in water filters can be off-putting. We once had Southern Management dictate that they would no longer pay for servicing of the water cooler filters. I took out a filter and showed it to the local boss whose answer was "We'll pay for it out of Petty Cash".
It's really only in small places with bore water supplies that we don't connect up to provided taps. Many bigger places have it well treated. Over the years I've heard of a lot of people worried about things like Giardia and some filters are able to protect against it but up this way it's almost a fact of life and many, like myself, have had it many times but must have built up a bit of immunity as it's a bit of a nuisance for a couple of days then goes away. That's when you really appreciate your own mobile clean toilet facilities and also really appreciate the saying "Happiness is a dry fart". This should probably be in that other thread ;)