To chip or not to chip that is the question

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Who has chipped their car, why did they do it and what differences did they notice once done. Did it make any difference towing a caravan?

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
Im going to for sure.
We have a turbo 100 series,have already put on 3 inch exhaust and snorkel and bought the bigger Safari inter cooler.I bought a Safari HO Dtronic to fit but its the wrong model for our vehicle so will sell that and try and find another.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I had a DP Chip and a 2.5 in Exhaust system in my last Car a Nissan Navara and it made a very noticeable difference Hills that would slow me down to 60 -70 ks I could power up at 80 - 90 ks, and made no difference to fuel economy, So far I am pretty happy with the Rangers Pulling Power but will see how I go when I get the XpAnDa and if need be I will get another Dp Chip
I think they are around $1500
http://www.dpchip.com/

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
My mechanic raves about Berrmia diesel and their dp chip. I have no experience personally but hear the navara/pathy engine gets some really good results.

Just do it!

Then tell the rest of us if it's worth the $1500:first:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I added gas to my diesel but if I had my choice again I would go with a chip. Gas has too many bits to go wrong but when working it is great. Performance is improved (a 2.75" exhaust helps) and economy is also better.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I've been considering it for a while, but may sell the car soon instead, so not sure now..
Theres a DP Chip for sale on the Pathie Forum for $550 which I'm ummming and arrrring about (maybe you too???)
Certainly most on the Pathie Forum who have chipped with many different brands speak positively of it.
Some brands will recommend an exhaust temperature monitor, some won't. I asked the DPChip people why they didn't recommend it, and they said "cos we don't set our chips so high that it makes the exhaust temps so hot" Other brands apparently are more aggressive in their settings and produce more power and torque, but at higher temps. This is probably the reason I haven't done it as yet as there are two trains of thought, and I can't make up my mind......:noidea:

As posted above, a larger exhaust is also a good idea for improved performance, with or without a chip

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
I have a DP Chip in my 2004 Turbo Cruiser Tray Back & a Beaudesert 3'' Mandrel Exhaust. It makes a massive difference to my type of vehicle. Well worth doing.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks everyone for your replies. This question was generated from my father who has a Jeep Cherokee Grande. V6 diesel. He then went and chipped the thing. As if he needs the extra power!! That said, boy can I see the difference now between the Pathie and the Jeep when I comes to towing a van.