Tight turning circle in 17-56.2OB

cambj

May 17, 2012
I have an issue with a very tight turning circle to get my van into a carport. I have to turn the Van around on a pebblecrete driveway and basically have to jack knife it to get it around. The first time I did it I could not believe the forces it was putting on the wheels and tyres.

Would it be better to increase the tyre pressure to give a smaller footprint or reduce them as someone suggested. Also would it help much if I wet the driveway.

Thanks for any feedback

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I would say more pressure in the tyres would be better as the tyre will stand prouder if that makes sense. Pumping them up would also eliminate any flex in the sidewalls and creating any undue stress on the sidewalls.

Yes wetting the driveway I guess could help too and not rip up the driveway.

Or you could use these under your wheels

untitled.png

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
My brother-in-law has a similar problem, although his is so tight that he physically can't swing his van in.
He bought one of these.

http://www.parkit360.com/AU/

One of these and a set of go-jacks shown above on the front wheels will see you into the tightest of spaces easily.

Cheers,
Matty.

PS. Check out the videos on that site too, some impressive stuff!!..

cambj

May 17, 2012
Thanks for the replies.
The other issue I have is that the turn is also on a downslope. I think the Parkit 360 with a brake controller option may work without the jacks as I could take the van out wider. The worry would be if the van would get away from me on the downslope.The brake option should help with that.If I used four go jacks by themselves then the van would just slide downhill and be hard to control.I noticed the go jacks have weight limits of 680kg. Are the weight limits combined so that you could use them on a 2T van?
The cheapest option would be to use them on the front wheels and tow it around.If I used them on the front would they handle the weight or would I have to go more expensive higher weight limit ones?

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
You will need to try, I would suggest as above use wheel jacks on the front and reduce the preasure on the tyres with the wheel jacks so that the van sits level. Then increase the preasure in the rear tyres of the van. This gives you the longest effective draw length and hopefully balances the load.

I only have a single axle, and use a manual "mule" on flat ground to turn the van.

Another suggestion to consider is to add a tow point to the front and offset. I believe that it gives better turning control but I have not seen it in anger.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

Stephen