18' Series Third Water Tank

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Hi Everyone
After some advice as this is our first van, we have purchased a 2nd hand 18.57 (touring)
Noticed it has 3 water tanks 2 connected as normal front of axles but there is a third
at the rear of axles (same size) with only a tap on the bottom with no other connections
or way to fill it ???
Has this been added by previous owner and never finished ???
Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated
Sean

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Are you sure there are no other pipes going into it, not even a breather pipe? Does it have the metal shield like it was done from factory? Might be just a spare fresh water tank but would need a breather to work. Enjoy your van, is it a 57-9?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Is it a grey water tank?
Need to crawl underneath and see if there are any pipes/hoses feeding into it.
Does it connect to one of the other tanks underneath somehow?

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Are you sure there are no other pipes going into it, not even a breather pipe? Does it have the metal shield like it was done from factory? Might be just a spare fresh water tank but would need a breather to work. Enjoy your van, is it a 57-9?
Hi Macca
After climbing under van it does have a breather and a metal shield
No pipes feeding into it that I can see
might just be a spare to connect to if I want 3 tanks ???
Would it be a matter of just hooking into existing tank feeds
could the pump handle pumping water from rear???
Cheers everyone
tank.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
That's what I thought but you would need a larger drain tap than that considering what goes down as 'Grey' water!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Filling point?
Maybe just a tank that you fill with clean water and then access via its tap from outside?
Just extra water when off grid?

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Not sure of the configuration of an 18. To me it looks like factory fit and the filler and water connection has been removed. Or it was fitted as an option (factor or owner) and was never plumbed in.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
It's a strange one as the outlet on the left is for the filler and the smaller one on the right goes to the pump/tap.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Sean,
Our factory tanks on our 18 are Front and back of the axles, to balance weight I suspect. that one sounds factory, but 1 of the 2 at the front sound to be added if the config is the same as ours
Interesting why there is nothing connected to it!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
As it appears to serve no practical purpose it would seems to be an unfinished project. Simple answer would be getting touch with the previous owner via the agent you aquired through .... most vanners would be happy to answer mod questions about theyre sold vans I should think

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No one had mentioned your fill point does it have just 2 water fill points with a mains hose connection ????
I would say it's an unfinished project especially if your drains just go the normal route to the side openings.
I think using a water tank as a grey water tank is not all that good as you end up carting around a smelly, yucky grease trap.
At least you have a clean canvas to do something wonderful and innovative to impress us all, go for it.

You could connect it up to the hand pump so you have nice rain water to drink while the other tanks are full of bad tasting city/town water which is fit for washing things in.

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
No one had mentioned your fill point does it have just 2 water fill points with a mains hose connection ????
I would say it's an unfinished project especially if your drains just go the normal route to the side openings.
I think using a water tank as a grey water tank is not all that good as you end up carting around a smelly, yucky grease trap.
At least you have a clean canvas to do something wonderful and innovative to impress us all, go for it.

You could connect it up to the hand pump so you have nice rain water to drink while the other tanks are full of bad tasting city/town water which is fit for washing things in.
Hi Drover
Yep only the standard fill points *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*
I tend to agree that's its an unfinished project , will look at connecting it somehow would like to have a third tank
as we visit Coral Bay often and the waters crap!
Cheers

Reactions: skippy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It wouldn't be hard to plumb it in, plastic line, T piece to plumb to pump, a tap all from Bunnings, just a Pope garden irrigation tap ( 2 @ $6) is all that is needed though you would have to mod your current tank tap so you could isolate the other tanks, you could even tap it into the fill on one of the other tanks to save any great expensive mods.

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
It wouldn't be hard to plumb it in, plastic line, T piece to plumb to pump, a tap all from Bunnings, just a Pope garden irrigation tap ( 2 @ $6) is all that is needed though you would have to mod your current tank tap so you could isolate the other tanks, you could even tap it into the fill on one of the other tanks to save any great expensive mods.
Thanks for the good advice
I like your idea about tapping into the fill pipes,that would save a bit of money

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well it would cost 45c for the T piece though. The hose, joiners and taps are all just common irrigation fittings, thats the low pressure bits, stuff from the pump/mains side aren't but are not expensive, John guest fittings.
Link explains everything about them and as you can see not big $$$................... http://caravansplus.com.au/john-guest/

PS: I would do a test run to find out how it tows with 1 , 2 and 3 tanks full ,you may find you will have to have a certain configuartion for a pleasant tow.

Reactions: twscoot

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hi Drover
Yep only the standard fill points *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*
I tend to agree that's its an unfinished project , will look at connecting it somehow would like to have a third tank
as we visit Coral Bay often and the waters crap!
Cheers
Yep the water up here is not the best but well worth the travel"Coral Bay" :gossip: