Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Has anyone tried these flexible panels?

https://www.sunyee.com.au/collectio...ar-panel-generator-caravan-camping-power-mono

I wonder what they mean by “Do not wire the flexible solar panel in parallel or in series to avoid damage or shortened lifespan.”

Not too sure about that @RickB . Probably because they may not have any bypass diodes across the output terminals (under the plastic connector??) and remember, there is no solar controller included with these panels if the advertisement is accurate. There has been a lot of feedback on these type of panels in earlier posts and generally, they have not been good. Shortness of life and burn out in panels (probably caused by some part of panel being shaded and not bypassed??) and heat dissipation is vital. Just ask @Moto Mech as he has had lots of (BAD) experiences with flexible solar panels. Maybe they have been improved, but I like the glass panels even though they are heavier.

Reactions: Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
There's a good example of why some people should restrict their travel videos to opinions about the beach views

Could not agree with you more @Crusty181 !! The panels they were using obviously did not have any bypass diodes to allow current from good panel to bypass the shaded one. And all the talk was about perfect conditions for solar generation is misleading. This rarely happens to most of us as generally there are a few clouds or less light on panels during various times of the day. And they are way out on the cost of MPPT controllers. Yes, you can get a PWM type for around $20.00 for 10A controller, although the PWM Topray solar controller 12V 30A as fitted into a lot of Jayco vans costs about $85.00 and does not provide much information for owners - just battery voltage, amps in and (if connected properly) amps out. You can get a GENUINE MPPT controller for around (or under as I did!) for $150.00 which will be not only be much more efficient but supply you with heaps of information as well, for just a few dollars more!! Where they got a figure of $700.00 , I do not know although they were charging a Lithium battery. Also, they must not be able to calculate properly as far as voltage, amps and watts if you watch the attached. Yes, it is all theoretical, but much more likely than what they were spruiking.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Has anyone tried these flexible panels?

https://www.sunyee.com.au/collectio...ar-panel-generator-caravan-camping-power-mono

I wonder what they mean by “Do not wire the flexible solar panel in parallel or in series to avoid damage or shortened lifespan.”
I bought the Sunyee fixed panels based purely on a review of the Sunyee flexi's. Not sure about connecting them, flexi's of no interest to me, but the Sunyee flexi in the review performed very very well and outperformed a very expensive iTech flexi panel. My prelim tests of the Sunyee fixed panels was promising enough

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Could not agree with you more @Crusty181 !! The panels they were using obviously did not have any bypass diodes to allow current from good panel to bypass the shaded one. And all the talk was about perfect conditions for solar generation is misleading. This rarely happens to most of us as generally there are a few clouds or less light on panels during various times of the day. And they are way out on the cost of MPPT controllers. Yes, you can get a PWM type for around $20.00 for 10A controller, although the PWM Topray solar controller 12V 30A as fitted into a lot of Jayco vans costs about $85.00 and does not provide much information for owners - just battery voltage, amps in and (if connected properly) amps out. You can get a GENUINE MPPT controller for around (or under as I did!) for $150.00 which will be not only be much more efficient but supply you with heaps of information as well, for just a few dollars more!! Where they got a figure of $700.00 , I do not know although they were charging a Lithium battery. Also, they must not be able to calculate properly as far as voltage, amps and watts if you watch the attached. Yes, it is all theoretical, but much more likely than what they were spruiking.

The distrubing thing about that video for me, aside from having not even a basic understanding of what was going on, was the "boys from Enerdrive are here again". Enerdrive sell solar equip and are self-claimed experts of all things solar, and peddle some very very expensive equipment, yet Dave the Enerdrive was holding the camera, filming the questionable info and silently went along with it

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
Yes some of the info is incorect but some is. The ratio of mppt is always going to be more (2 -3 times) than pwm. Difference is where you shop, Myers or Shiploads.

Yes they should have said panels don't have diodes and shown what happens with panels with diodes

And they should have done some tests to show figures on mppt vs pwm, in cold weather mppt better by 20 -30%

In hot weather mppt better by 10 - 20%

And your loads versus how much solar you have, if your batteries are always 80% soc or higher then there is no efficiency difference as both mppt & pwm are in absorption mode which is constant voltage at that point and solar is mainly wasted then.

Come to think of it would be hard to put all that in a video and keep it short.

You could show angle of the sun differences in output, differences in temp to output, dirt on the panels, small wired versus big wires, good and bad connections.

Ahh too much for an intro video.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My neighbour lashed out and bought some house panels yesterday, $40 each 2 yrs old, someone did a complete upgrade on their house or something, he reckons they test okay, I might borrow one off him be handy....

As for the vid, there are so many variables with testing them in real time, one little thing will effect the data, I just look at them out of boredom as they are usually pushing a product or ego.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I bought the Sunyee fixed panels based purely on a review of the Sunyee flexi's. Not sure about connecting them, flexi's of no interest to me, but the Sunyee flexi in the review performed very very well and outperformed a very expensive iTech flexi panel. My prelim tests of the Sunyee fixed panels was promising enough

@Crusty181 , Sunyee is a very good and reputable brand and you should be happy with those fixed panels. You could not compare them with flexi panels which , although the same company, have an entirely different construction and potential problems. IMHO.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yes some of the info is incorect but some is. The ratio of mppt is always going to be more (2 -3 times) than pwm. Difference is where you shop, Myers or Shiploads.

Yes they should have said panels don't have diodes and shown what happens with panels with diodes

And they should have done some tests to show figures on mppt vs pwm, in cold weather mppt better by 20 -30%

In hot weather mppt better by 10 - 20%

And your loads versus how much solar you have, if your batteries are always 80% soc or higher then there is no efficiency difference as both mppt & pwm are in absorption mode which is constant voltage at that point and solar is mainly wasted then.

Come to think of it would be hard to put all that in a video and keep it short.

You could show angle of the sun differences in output, differences in temp to output, dirt on the panels, small wired versus big wires, good and bad connections.

Ahh too much for an intro video.

I agree whole-heartily on what you said @Clewsy, especially your last sentence regarding differences. The lower the voltage in your batteries, the better the MPPT controller is in restoring power quickly. But isn't that what you want?? If conditions were the same all the time, then there would not be such a need as battery/ies voltage would not vary much UNLESS your were dragging out mega amps at various times. In those cases, a PWM controller would suffice. But get a few days of cloudy and misty weather, (and you don't know how long that will last!!) and you need the accelerated charging that a MPPT controller can provide. And in varying conditions of cloud cover and sunshine, you get more amps in every time regardless how short sunny conditions last.
But as explained, it was a SIMPLE explanation and comparison.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
My neighbour lashed out and bought some house panels yesterday, $40 each 2 yrs old, someone did a complete upgrade on their house or something, he reckons they test okay, I might borrow one off him be handy....
Just take note of the panel specifications. They are likely to be double the voltage of ones used for 12V purposes.
No problem using them, but you will need an MPPT controller to convert the higher voltage.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
It is a much harder task to explain something complex in very simple terms than it is to explain it normally.

I have found that the people who have the most knowledge of a subject are able to pitch an explanation at any level required by the audience.

People with a barely adequate understanding usually are unable to make clear, unambiguous, accurate and simple presentations of complex subjects.

Others will no doubt have had different experiences when dealing with some experts who cannot explain something in simple terms.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Just take note of the panel specifications. They are likely to be double the voltage of ones used fir 12V purposes.
No problem using them, but you will need an MPPT controller to convert the higher voltage.

cheers
Mike
Good advice there @mikerezny , I think when they were putting panels on my roof, they had a rated output of 37 to 40V for the 250W panels. You might HAVE to learn some of this from the videos @Drover so that you do not cause the smoke and fire dragon to be released.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep I said to him that I don't think it would be a great idea as voltage is nearly twice that of a van panel but we will see, I got a pic of the panel plate and he has actually got a Morningstar PW30M controller like mine in his shed so I will see how it goes.

IMG_20190816_184315.jpg

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yep I said to him that I don't think it would be a great idea as voltage is nearly twice that of a van panel but we will see, I got a pic of the panel plate and he has actually got a Morningstar PW30M controller like mine in his shed so I will see how it goes.

View attachment 63792
The pic is a tad small to see clearly, but from those specs, you will get about 8.???? A in full sunlight. So, with a PWM controller that will be about 112W into a battery at 14V. But you will be carrying around 19kg to do it.

Also, check carefully that any controller can handle a 40V input. From what I can Google, your controller will handle panels up to 60V.

cheers
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
It is a much harder task to explain something complex in very simple terms than it is to explain it normally.

I have found that the people who have the most knowledge of a subject are able to pitch an explanation at any level required by the audience.

When I worked at University and at the UK Met Office, I got the most understandable explanations about aspects of climate science from the Professors in that area.

People with a barely adequate understanding usually are unable to make clear, unambiguous, accurate and simple presentations of complex subjects.

Others will no doubt have had different experiences when dealing with some experts who cannot explain something in simple terms.

cheers
Mike
Sorry Mike, but what the hell are you talking about ???

;)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's about what I thought @mikerezny , I will wait and see how he goes with it and see what the real world readings are......I think I managed to enlarge that label pic.

PS: Found the manual, it wasn't lost just hiding and I think it will work, see how it goes next door and if his shed doesn't burn down might be onto a winner here. pays to test stuff first.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Panels mounted and wired up, connected via elevated conduit so theres no damming, or interference to the roof water run off. The conduit proved to be the most difficult part

20190818_151858.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-115637.jpg