Solar The Solar Panel Thread

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I found it very interesting as well @mikerezny though each battery weighs in at 13kgs its the one above on the list thats 33kgs....Sounds ;ike a great set up for sure, would love it.

Holy Dooley the price tag made me whince ........................
......https://www.allnaturalenergy.com.au...ungel-2sg250-2v-250ah-c120-gel-battery-detail
Thanks for the correction @Drover. I was looking at the SG650 one! Still at 13 kg each, that still adds up to 78kgs!! More than twice the weight of 2 130ah AGMs!! And at $375.00 each multiplied by 6 equals $2250.00!! More than I could afford. I would be looking at later technology available now at that price.. Lithium?? A lot lighter not only in weight but also on the pocket!! And less need for so much space too.

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Looks like the stock Jayco circa 2015 solar reg (TPS 1230) only outputs up to 14.5v +/- 0.4v, so I might need to find one more suited to AGM batteries. Unless the +/- here is less about tolerance of components and more about adapting to battery types?
Yes @Fallen, the TPS 1230 is a rather expensive PWM type and unless the Load is connected through the controller, will not provide any info on power OUT, only voltage and Input power. Suggest purchasing a good MPPT controller as mentioned by @mikerezny and @Drover . Below is wiring diagram for connecting Load through controller so discharge figures can be seen.

Attachments

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
just to clarify that we are all on the same page:

A 2SG250 Sungel is a 2V 250Ah (spec is 262Ah) battery weighing 13.5kg
6 of these beasties would weigh 81kg and, if wired in series, would be equivalent to a 12V battery with a capacity of 250Ah.

From the spec sheet:
Number Cycles @ 10% DOD 5000 Number Cycles @ 50% DOD 2500 Number Cycles @ 80% DOD 1500

The warranty is amazing: 5 years full replacement PLUS another 5 years pro rata.

https://rfisolar.com.au/sungel-2sg250-2v-250ah-c120-gel-battery.html#tab_spec

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
Cooloola Coast, QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Appreciate the attachments BiA. Lots of reading today on here and other forums. The stock Setec is seemingly a poor choice to charge the batteries from a low charge (60% or so), but it would seem to be OK to keep the batteries trickle charged when not in use at home. Or would the 120W roof panel be sufficient (even if under a caravan cover it sounds like they still get some sun).

Plan is to use the rooftop and 300W of portable to recharge when at caravan parks and free camping. Then the rooftop for driving and at home (with maybe the Setec on at home every now and then until I get another panel on the roof).
Ive only ever used the Setec, and leave the van powered up on 240v all the time. One of mt AGMs is almost 10 years old

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Ive only ever used the Setec, and leave the van powered up on 240v all the time. One of mt AGMs is almost 10 years old
That is probably why your AGM is still going strong @Crusty181 . Actually, the standard Setec is perfect for those who have Gel batteries. It has a max charge voltage of 14.0 volts (just shy of optimum of 14.2 to 14.4 volts) at 25C. Any temp above that requires a slightly less voltage charge. So that fits. So good so far.

The FLOAT voltage is great too for cyclic use as it keeps charge up and prevents sulphation from building up. Second good point!

And last but definitely not the least is the ability to go into "Storage" mode charging at only 13.2 volts for short periods each day. Perfect for those who leave their battery/ies on charge for long periods between uses, for any type of battery. This reduces deterioration of positive plates due to constant float charging. Very little chance of causing ANY over-charging.

That is what I tend to do AFTER I have charged up my AGMs with "smart" charger which will reach 14.7 volts which the Setec cannot do. If only using the Setec to charge your AGMs, approx 10% of storage is not charged and cannot be recovered. Probably of little importance to some, unless one is relying on every bit of capacity in battery storage. You also start off at a higher voltage if the AGM is fully charged as per manufacturers specs. Just as the attached states.

Battery Maintenance.jpg