Solar The Solar Panel Thread

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hi all,

How have people mounted there solar panel brackets to the roof? I've been told that you can use a good quality silicon like Sika Flex to simply stick it down without having to drill holes into the roof?? The fewer holes I have to drill into the roof the better.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi all,

How have people mounted there solar panel brackets to the roof? I've been told that you can use a good quality silicon like Sika Flex to simply stick it down without having to drill holes into the roof?? The fewer holes I have to drill into the roof the better.

Hi Drewy
Sikaflex is the go they have a huge range of different adhesives/sealers I used the Sikaflex Pro mainly because it was probably the best one our hardware store had in stock The 11fc would probably be a better product and the 291 which is a marine adhesive would be better again as it is made for sticking to fibreglass and gelcoat

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hi Drewy
Sikaflex is the go they have a huge range of different adhesives/sealers I used the Sikaflex Pro mainly because it was probably the best one our hardware store had in stock The 11fc would probably be a better product and the 291 which is a marine adhesive would be better again as it is made for sticking to fibreglass and gelcoat

Happy Days, thats music to my ears to hear that I'll only need to drill holes for the cables! I'll see if can get hold of some 291 through the local hardware store or possibly somewhere like Blackwoods.

Cheers fellas!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I work around the corner from a caravan repairer and he is accredited to repair jaycos. I spoke to him in regards to mounting panels and in his opinion he would only do it one way. First of all the full size jayco roofs are not built the same as pop tops, the roofs are not a composite like the pop tops because of expansion/ contraction, so Jayco say. They are a thin sheet of plastic rolled over a frame after adding insulation batts and only stuck down around the outside, this is why the roofs are quite lumpy.

So the repairer suggests using two pieces of either Aluminium angle or RHS to span right across the roof, stick down with sika and then screw down into the walls, I'd say that's the way I'll go. He also suggested doing the same on the pop tops as in his opinion the panel could cause the top layer to delaminate over time with travel.....something to think about I guess.

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
370225175.914824.jpg On full size van. 2x120w. Aluminum angle front and rear. Air gap under.

Attachments

• 370224829.852804.jpg
    370224829.852804.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 773

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
What should my panels but putting out , I've got 2 x 135w panels on the roof , volts coming in from panels ranges from 14 - 19
Only 14.3 going out of reg , witch is fine( reg looks like yours capt g )
Pv amps are all over the place , 0.2 up to 10 .
not really sure?reg has a boost, float , absorb mode
Any thoughts?

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Hornet I think 14.3 is what they should put out any more than 14.8 and you could damage the Cetek unit. Same as you, mine varies quite a bit depending on the charge state of the Battery, I have seen the volts coming in from my 200w Panel as high as 22v, as for the Boost absorb and float this is what the Manual says
a. BULK CHARGE – At this mode, a preset maximum constant amount of current (amps) is fed into the battery as the no PWM is present. As the battery is being charged up , the voltage of the battery increases gradually.

b. ABSORPTION CHARGE – After the preset voltage is reached (approximately 14.3 volts for a 12 volt system) the voltage is then held constant. As the battery continues to be charged at constant voltage, the charging current decreases. The charging voltage is held at the Bulk Volt- age Setting for one full hour with various rapid On-Off pulses (PWM). It then switches to Float Charge Mode.

c. FLOAT CHARGE –The controller will maintain the battery voltage at the float voltage setting by giving shorter On-pulse charge to make up for any detected self discharge of the battery. When the battery voltage drops below the Float Voltage Setting for a total period of 10 minutes, a new charging cycle is activated in Bulk or Absorption Charge.

Manual here http://www.altronics.com.au/download/ndb/instructions/n/N2071A.PDF

Cheers Grant

Reactions: hornet

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
Cheers capt , I was more interested in the amps , I've seen high volts 19 - 20 coming in , but with the high volts only seeing low current( amps) , is this related to what ever charge state the regs in? Boost -high amps , absorb - low amps , I just thought if you have 19-20 volts coming in the amps would be higher, does the reg control volts. , amps or both ? Not sure, maybe I'll read the book , typical bloke , hook it up an see what happens , just read the above post again and yes it does control amps ( current) , to many beers again !

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks Burnsy, I know in earlier thread that CG mentioned the setec can only handle 14.8v.
I presume this one suitable, am I on the right track?

I'm hoping to get it before the HC trip to test it out.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
My 80w folding Solar Panel turned up 2 days after ordering it :playball:

I opted for a 120w folding panel but thought I ask where people are connecting theirs? Are you putting in a solar regulator or just relying on the one on the back of the panels? Are you connecting it to the setec? I believe there is a "utility" connection. I have some 6mm cable to run from the battery/setec/regulator to an external plug but I'm not so keen on Anderson as they are 50amp and I won't ever need that so was wondering what other people have used? The 120w panel is rated to about 7 amp so I guess a Cig plug would work, maybe marine plugs (Buccaneer).