The Dogger's new 20.64-1

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Hi everyone,
I have been slack at spending some time to write about our new expanda. After owning a jayco destiny before, over time having 4 kids I was looking yes just looking at what was on the market. My criteria was enough beds to sleep 6 people without the need for an annex as we were looking for some quick getaways as I only work 3 and a half days a week. The other criteria was self sufficient like water tanks solar etc and the main one was that it had to have a shower and toilet as I travel 4 hours away to see my children where they live with their mother. It can get very cold there in the winter so now the new van is perfect. I asked my youngest if I should up grade to a new van he said yes! Well who am I to argue. So the van went up for sale and three days later it sold. The next thing I'm off to Melbourne to buy a 15 month old van with all the options we wanted. We now love our new van and I'm always planning trips away hassel is work just doesn't seem to give me enough holidays!
IMG_0093.JPG

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
So now I have had the van 12 months it was the week of Christmas last year we raced down and spent 2 nights in our van and raced home.... so I could work a 12 hour night shift that was a long day! Our first trip was blacksmiths beach on the central coast it was great never been so comfortable. Only problem I had was that we were playing cards and it poured with rain and I thought lucky I'm not in a tent! Then on the floor I saw water... wel was I cranky I went out and found the leak. It was the bottom fridge vent, so I taped it up to stop the leak mopped up 10 litres of water and then it was off to the drawing board and I came up with this and it works well as so much water pools on roof and runs down the wall next to the slide out.
IMG_0461.JPG
The water just flows away not bad for a piece of alloy from Bunnings.

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Before the next big trip to Hastings Point I decided after using van a couple of times I needed some where to mount he BBQ as I sick of loading it in the van especially when I'd stay with the kids and needed a quick get away in the mornings, so I designed a toolbox to house it. After lots of research on this site I came up with my design, I needed to place the spare under the rear with a winch and mount the gas bottles inside as well as the BBQ.
First step the spare
IMG_0315.JPG

Then it was the bike rack on the rear
IMG_0137.JPG

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I had a similar problem last year, except it was coming via the toilet cassette door not sealing.

I found if I opened the bathroom window it directed the water over the hatch and stopped it coming in.

Which reminds me, I need to look at that seal !!

Reactions: bigcol

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Next I needed a reverse camera again thanks to your help I got the brash imports 2 camera set up the week I was going away. So I installed it and while I was running it through the car aput power in for fridge in rear of car USB ports and 12volt outlets for the kids as they get older and need to charge etc.
IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

I put a sub board in for my accessories to run off a dual battery set up which I ran out of time to set the batteries up. I hate seeing wires ran under cars cause it's easier to install I like it to look like it's original as can be from the factory.
IMG_2247.JPG

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Before the next big trip to Hastings Point I decided after using van a couple of times I needed some where to mount he BBQ as I sick of loading it in the van especially when I'd stay with the kids and needed a quick get away in the mornings, so I designed a toolbox to house it. After lots of research on this site I came up with my design, I needed to place the spare under the rear with a winch and mount the gas bottles inside as well as the BBQ.
First step the spare
View attachment 46646
Then it was the bike rack on the rear
View attachment 46647

Nice to see a few more of these vans hitting the road.

Nice mod on the spare wheel, where did you get that from matey?

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Back to the box, after getting quotes the first one was the most reasonable. I needed extra strength for the bike rack on top which increased the price as it is 3mm aluminium. When I measured it I had used every millimetre I could with no room for error. The car just misses when I turn the car sharply and the bed just misses the bike rack when it's lowered. I don't have an extended draw bar (I couldn't have everything) but I do have a long WDH shank which gives me enough clearance. Enjoy the pics.
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Here's some pics of a few more mods, I put towel rails in handy when you have lots of towels.
IMG_2288.JPG

I put some work lights on the back to help with reversing as I'm quite often by my own. Also some extra tail lights as the big bikes block the others. I put Deutsche plugs on the lights incase I want to pull them off for when we don't take bikes away.
IMG_0319.JPG

My next mission is to fit some storm covers from Aussie wide annexesthey seemed to be the best for what I wanted as I find I get water on top of the bed end from the gap next to the hinge where the lid meets. Then it's new suspension for the cruiser.

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Sure have been, it's always good to put your own mods on and look back with a beer and say jeez I've done a good job! I plan on having this a long time so I just want those little things that make it easier.

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
So I have finally bit the bullet and got new suspension for the cruiser. Boy what a difference it makes not only normal driving but when the van is on it rides like a dream. It's the best it's ever towed which makes it so much safer because you don't have the van shaking the car around so much.
Before
IMG_2435.JPG

After
IMG_2453.JPG

As a lot of you know it's not just buying a caravan, it's all the extras that you need to get and the extra money required to buy these things. Next I need to install my Christmas present... storm covers, I got the Aussie wide annex ones.

Attachments

• IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 302

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Out of interest, what suspension setup did you go in your 200 there @Dogger ?
I got Old Man Emu it has 25mm lift in front which puts it back to standard height due to weight of which and bull bar and medium load in rear for comfort, I don't think there is any height increase. After clocking up 600kms on the weekend it was well worth it!

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
It’s been a while since I wrote something have been renovating the house but I did manage to fit these Aussie wide annexes strom covers. They are great as they have the canvas window mesh and clear plastic. They do work well in the rain and stay on all the time as there is the room under the hard lid.
D568200C-D1F9-45A9-A481-432DFD48F8A2.jpeg
52614609-E8E5-4B5D-B441-B1FA18DFAFFF.jpeg

Reactions: bigcol and 1DayIll

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
I have also fitted a dual battery set up in the cruiser. I opted for the red arc 25amp dc to dc charger with solar regulator.i found the cheapest charger on eBay was a fraction of the price of anyone else.
Main battery with Anderson plug for solar input
B51F3B93-1C97-4B10-BD2D-BB2BD4133A9F.jpeg
2nd battery
C650E86A-41CF-4D06-BCEA-B2CE7A1A8D40.jpeg

2 days worth of work pulling batteries out and fitting new ones re-routing wires now it’s A1!

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Had to fit a relay for my 12 volt supply to caravan fridge as I plugged it in one night to the car and the fridge was on 12volt and I got a flat battery and I was in in a hurry to leave Temora to get home to get to work on time. Not happy camper waiting for a jump start this is also what triggered the dual batteries.
9CB8E3E7-6FF8-4299-86BC-B0FEC6E90D16.jpeg

Reactions: G Daddy and bigcol