Just Browsing Tare weight of new 2014 1756 2 expanda

Pete

May 5, 2014
Does anyone have the tare weight of the new 2014 1756 2 expanda. I have heard it is much heavier that the stated 1925 weight mentioned in the magazine. Any help would be appreciated.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Cant help, no doubt someone will have one, but I can tell you it will depend on the options you may add.

Pete

May 5, 2014
Cant help, no doubt someone will have one, but I can tell you it will depend on the options you may add.

Thanks mate, I have a rough idea of the weight of the options I have added. I have a weight limit of 2500kg on my car. With the tare of the 2014 1756.2 being 1925kg, plus 425 kg of weight, allows me 150 kg for my options. I cant see how an extra battery, Solar panel, outside shower, picnic table, extended drawer bar and a 2 gauge control box would add up to this....just wondering if anyone else out there has ordered similar.

Reactions: Racer

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
Hi Pete,
Just picked up a new 2014 1756-2 OB just over a week ago from Jayco Sydney. Only options are: extended drawbar, extra solar panel, Drifter control panel, Fusion stereo with external speakers. Tare weight 2095kg.
Expanda.jpeg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Does anyone have the tare weight of the new 2014 1756 2 expanda. I have heard it is much heavier that the stated 1925 weight mentioned in the magazine. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @Pete Just checked the plate on ours.... Ours has a Tare weight of 1958kg and an ATM of 2433kg

Reactions: James Byrne

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
nice van @Pete. I had a look at one in the yard (no options) and it was plated at 2025 which made it bang on 2500kg with the load allowance . Im a little nervous now as the Prado is rated to exactly that and don't want to give any chance of a "get out" clause to an insurer. The dealer told me though that they could get it marked at 2500kg if I requested it.

Pete

May 5, 2014
nice van @Pete. I had a look at one in the yard (no options) and it was plated at 2025 which made it bang on 2500kg with the load allowance . Im a little nervous now as the Prado is rated to exactly that and don't want to give any chance of a "get out" clause to an insurer. The dealer told me though that they could get it marked at 2500kg if I requested it.

Hi Cheyne 78
I have spoken to the guy and got an email from the Department of Transport. Below is the response regarding the weights and the law. Got it in writing which is good. I have put it below but blanked names for privacy reasons. He wrote that it is the load of the van that matters. He explained on the phone that we tow trailers that are rated ATM 3000kg, but unless it is loaded that does not mean it is 3 tonne. The same goes with caravans.
I to am a bit nervous about the weights though as we are towing with a pajero of 2500kg. It seems unusual that Jayco say the tare weight of this van is 1925kg in the brochure and any options we add are in addition to this weight. I would hardly say a solar panel, and a stereo system and a few other small items are extras that add up to 170 kg as the above post says . I guess it means that towing with both water tanks full might not be possible.

Peter,
The towing capacity of your Pajero is 2500kg, this is the weight of the caravan/trailer and load that it can tow, not what the ATM or GTM of the caravan you wish to tow cannot exceed.
If the caravan has a ATM of 2560kg then proved it is not loaded beyond 2500kg then it can be legally towed by your vehicle.
You could tow a caravan with a ATM of 4000kg behind your vehicle provided the all up weight of the caravan and load does not exceed 2500kg. These are when it is weighed with the caravan standing alone and not hooked on to the tow vehicle.
Hope this helps and if you have any other questions please let me know.

CoOrdinator Vehicle Standards
Dept Planning, Transport & Infrastructure Regency Park South Australia

Pete

May 5, 2014
Thanks so much to everyone for their replies. Your new van looks great Mick&Vanessa, Congratulation on your new purchase.
We are very excited about getting the van. It seems my weights could be at the limit when towing this van with a Pajero rated at 2500kg which makes me a little nervous. May mean I have to carry less of a load.

Pete

May 5, 2014
Hi @Pete Just checked the plate on ours.... Ours has a Tare weight of 1958kg and an ATM of 2433kg

Thanks - what are the extras you have and does it have the Alko suspension? Ours has the 2 batteries in total, 2 solar panels, picnic table, outside shower, extended draw bar and a few extra powerpoints.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
yes it's all fine that as long as you don't load it to the max and stay under your vehicles limit it should be fine BUT

If say you have an accident and the van is totaled and spread all over the side of the road making it impossible to weigh it, I bet the insurance company will simply look at the plate and use those figures regardless of what you actually had in the van. So if the plate is higher than the limit of your vehicle then you are buggered before you even begin to argue with them. Just my 2c worth.

Reactions: skippy and Matty4

Pete

May 5, 2014
yes it's all fine that as long as you don't load it to the max and stay under your vehicles limit it should be fine BUT

If say you have an accident and the van is totaled and spread all over the side of the road making it impossible to weigh it, I bet the insurance company will simply look at the plate and use those figures regardless of what you actually had in the van. So if the plate is higher than the limit of your vehicle then you are buggered before you even begin to argue with them. Just my 2c worth.

Yeah, you are probably right - definitely better to be safe than sorry. I have told my dealer to ensure the ATM rating on the van does not exceed the 2500kg of my vehicle. Might mean less luggage but better than than a battle with insurance later on.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat

I think you are spot on there, If they can`t weigh it they go by the plate and you are screwed. Not sure if I read that on here or somewhere else sorry.

Reactions: Racer

Pete

May 5, 2014
I think you are spot on there, If they can`t weigh it they go by the plate and you are screwed. Not sure if I read that on here or somewhere else sorry.

I just rang the dealer anyhow, they are fine about making the ATM 2500kg max. Interestingly they said I could change the ATM later if I want should I get a larger vehicle.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks - what are the extras you have and does it have the Alko suspension? Ours has the 2 batteries in total, 2 solar panels, picnic table, outside shower, extended draw bar and a few extra powerpoints.
Ours only had the standard extras when we got it including a couple of extra power points and tv antenna fitted before pickup.... The van was ordered for floor stock but didn't make it out the front of the yard ;)
It doesn't have the independent suspension as it was built on a 2013 chassis but fitted with 2014 body and options. (Old style leaf springs but I'm happy with that)

Pete

May 5, 2014
Sorry Pete may of confused, we have a outback, data plate attached
Actually, I should have also mentioned that mine will also be an outback - so your info has been most helpful. I see the ATM on yours is only 2524kg, so with the extra battery and picnic table I have on mine, the ATM will hopefully not go over 2550kg which means I will only lose around 50 kg off my load allowance by asking for the tare to be brought down to 2500kg to be in line with my Pajero's towing capacity.
Thanks for all your help - your expanda looks great! Can't wait to get ours now.

Gruntawat

Sep 21, 2013
Banora point
hi there that is what the roads and traffic state but as I am aware the insurance company will not cover you if your atm of van exceeds max tow capacity on your vehicle I would check with the insurance company not roads and traffic