Sydney Toll Charges

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks like if your over 12mts long and 2.8mt high you will get slugged big time towing your van along the Sydney Tollways.

Extract from Grey Nomad Times:
Many grey nomads have reacted with anger to the news that changes to the system mean their caravans and motorhomes may well now be charged as commercial vehicles on toll roads around Sydney.

However, budget-conscious travellers hoping there could be a change of heart on the policy are being warned not to hold their breath. A Transport for NSW spokesperson told the Grey Nomad Times: “Currently the New South Wales Government is not planning to change vehicle classification dimensions.” The issue came to the fore when toll operator, Transurban – which has investments in major Sydney routes such as the M2, M7, M5, the Lane Cove Tunnel, and the Eastern Distributor – decided to consolidate its classification settings across all of its roads. Vehicles more than 12.5 metres in length or more than 2.8 metres in height will now always be classed as Class B vehicles. The measurements are based on the overall height and length, which includes any items installed on the roof, carried or towed.

Previously, the same vehicles could have been classified differently on different roads. What it means in effect though is that some grey nomads are being charged three times what they were a few months ago for taking the same road in the same vehicle. Grey nomad Vince Willis towed his van through the M7 and M2 a week ago and then got a very nasty surprise. “I checked my trips on Linkt and, yes, for those two tolls it cost $36,” he said. “I normally pay about $10 … but what can be done for a re-assessment of these ridiculous fee increases other than avoid the motorways!” It seems that the state government is suggesting that that is exactly what should happen. “Alternative toll-free routes remain available for motorists who would prefer not pay a toll,” a spokesperson said. Some grey nomads also expressed concern that the new toll regime might force Page 2 Issue 210: November 1, 2019 some travellers in big rigs on to unsuitable roads and thus present safety risks and cause congestion. “If we all use the Cumberland Highway that will create havoc, especially if we do it in peak hour morning and afternoon,” said regular traveller, Stephen Holt. Reacting to criticism in some quarters that news of the changes weren’t adequately publicised and that some road users were unaware of what was happening, Transurban was unapologetic. “Before bringing our classifications into line with the Government’s concession classes in August, we proactively engaged with those most affected to explain the changes and impacts for them,” said a spokesperson. •

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I warned my Victorian mate about the sydney tolls, he just checked his account $47.75 he got slugged for a Ranger dragging a 22ft van from Hornsby to the Hume Hwy, he drove across Brissie from nth to sth $4.61 so I reckon vans should be scarce on Sydney Freeways.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
Transurban have reviewed toll charges for cars towing caravans on Sydney toll roads for the period from August until December 16th.
But it seems that you may have to apply to get the refund if you were charged the higher rate during this period.
From December 16th, the higher rate will be charged.

http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/toll-4

cheers
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
Transurban have reviewed toll charges for cars towing caravans on Sydney toll roads for the period from August until December 16th.
But it seems that you may have to apply to get the refund if you were charged the higher rate during this period.
From December 16th, the higher rate will be charged.

http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/toll-4

cheers
Mike
Not bad. They start charging before it was widely advertised and the victims have to physically beg to get "refund" ... refund?? Wasnt it stolen??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not bad. They start charging before it was widely advertised and the victims have to physically beg to get "refund" ... refund?? Wasnt it stolen??

Just like Victoria charging commercial rate for Utes even though they are strictly private use............

Reactions: Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Just like Victoria charging commercial rate for Utes even though they are strictly private use............
From when did a "Tradies's " ute become a vehicle for "Private" use as usually used for commercial purposes?? Only by type of vehicle registration and that would be entered on Toll Tag. So hard to sort out and make a fair judgement call IMHO.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well here in QLD your Ute can be classed as Private or Commercial in Vic they get classed as commercial it seems no matter if just used for the family hack, they have 3 classes car, light commercial and heavy commercial and you don't have a choice about your Ute, its commercial so you end up paying near twice the car toll..... I think they will all get on the band wagon for the extra charges for caravan eventually, soon as they find a way to bypass some regulations......If you get a QLD tag you will find your Ute on Vic tollways only gets charged the Car rate....

https://www.linkt.com.au/content/dam/linkt/melbourne/toll_pricing/Toll pricing for CityLink - Jan 1 to Mar 31 2020.pdf

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well an update on the Toll rebate, I am reliably informed that the rebate only applies if you used the M2 and have a NSW Linkt Tag, other NSW Toll Ways and toll tags get zip-, zilch......................mate spent half hour on phone to them............ NSW still the ripp off state.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hmm,
that is not what it states on the linkt website:

https://www.linkt.com.au/sydney/usi...d-for-recreational-vehicles-travelling-in-nsw

Eligibility
To be eligible for a toll credit, you must:
  • Have travelled between 26 August 2019 and 16 December 2019, inclusive
  • Have at least one trip classified as a Class B trip
  • Travelled on one of the following toll roads: Hills M2, Westlink M7, Lane Cove Tunnel, Eastern Distributor, Cross City Tunnel, M5 South-West Motorway, WestConnex M4
  • Have a privately-owned vehicle which was towing a caravan, trailer or similar

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats what I said to my Vic mate who rang them this morning and was told nope no refund....