17' Series Swing Down Jacks to level Van

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when I set up,
I get the van to within a gnats hair of perfect with the Jockey wheel, then put a Jack Stand under the drawbar - and put the Jockey wheel away
the stabilizer legs all go onto blocks of wood - 300x300mm - and I check the level bar at the drawbar to see if I have gone too far or not enough

I also make sure the ground is fairly level to start with

only once has there been too much of a slope, and then I put one of my blocks of wood under the wheel and re-parked the Van

Reactions: McKenzie

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I camp on my sons front yard at Canberra, I need a ramp sitting on a 50mm sleeper to get level and big blocks under 2 of the jacks, was scary at first but now have it down to a fine art, just got to look out for the garden tap, flattened it last time, lol.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@DazFamily much appreciated. I've been doing some research in the meantime. I can't install on my Subie, sadly. Caravan I can so air bag man tell me. Just got to learn a bit more about it for the van.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Another tip. I only use one ramp under one wheel of my van to get the levelling I need (East - west levelling). It always seems to be enough and haven't had to resort to buying a 'tandem' ramp.
Once mostly level do the fine adjustments and stabilise with the drop down alkos.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I too raise front to get water out of shower then squeegee , like @bigcol have small blocks of wood for stabilizers 190x45 treated pine
haven't got ramps yet never really needed then got two more pieces of 190x45 to go under wheels on one side so far used them 3 times works a treat if I had to lift more id be in trouble

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@achjimmy I finaly got around to having a look at the BOS stabilising legs. They look good to. Here's a link to video for others interest.
Just got to find out how much.

This is what I expected the Al-Ko to do...beginning to wonder if I should cancel them.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks Smergen.

I've been looking at the AL-KO web site to figure out what the deal is with the ones that go on the OB's. An extract from their web site

"The top of the range corner steady is the German designed 1000 kg heavy duty steady which is the ultimate in strength and style."
:frusty:

So what does that mean? It looks that same as the OB's. It can handle 1 tone. Perhaps that is spread over four legs. But if it's one leg...my van will have a max weight of 2 tones...plus five ppl.

More phone calls I'd say.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Oh AL-KO do say the steadies are not for lifting the van. However I wonder if that applies to the 1000kg bad boys.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@bigcol why do you use a jack stand and put the jockey wheel away?

years ago, when tenting, I heard a loud crash in the middle of the night
the Van next to us, someone had stolen his jockey wheel, and when they went to the front of the Van to make something in the kitchen, it fell forward, damaging his scissor stabilizers as it fell forwards

always thought after that, take the Jockey wheel away, and put a stand under the front
the little people cannot steal whats not there......

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have this type of Jack Stand

jack stand.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have found using a jack stand in place of the jockey wheel makes the van more stable, I have a swing down unit so theft is not simple.
The jacks may be rated 1 TON but are the mounts, I do think they really are not needed the standard OB ones suffice in the long run.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@Drover agree that having all four maybe over kill - and expensive. I was talking to BOS this afternoon. They seem very helpful - not just about their products, but about caravans in general.

I asked bout the cost for BOSST400. not sure I should say on here? They also told me about a new product they are about to release in the next few months. IT's called the BOS Jack. Something similar to the Trailer Mate - but without the hydraulics - which can be used in place of the jockey wheel and also used as a jack for the wheels - there is a bracket. They could not give me a cost yet. They told me you could use the BOS Jack for leveling east west. They were promoting it for changing wheels. Believe they also told me you could use the BOSST400 for leveling as well East West. Just need to get the coupling - the same as the one AL-KO use. Coupling must be a industry standard size/connection I assume?

I have given my details....they will notify me when released.

Reactions: Drover

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@McKenzie the trail-a-mate can also be used as a jack to lift the east/west sides or use to change wheels but on our 17.56.2 OB there is no where to attach lifting brackets (Safely)!!!

Reactions: bigcol