Swan Swan...hard to put top down

Mish

Feb 9, 2014
cookamidgera nr Parkes
Hi new owner of the swan, cant seem to get the top down, its really hard to get the clips on, is it just a case of putting the canvas in , in a certain way ??? also having problems with the top part of the door as in the window has popped out and a clip is broken anyone else had issues with the it ??? it has to go back to the dealer to be fixed as it happened first time out :(

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Mish Welcome to the forum. Ah, vivid memories of the same thing when were proud new owners of our Swan. Be sure the water tap is down in the sink tub, yes the canvas walls do really need to push into the body area a fair bit.

The bed slides do need to be over the inneredge of the front/ rear body walls for the roof to clip down, too the bed end canvas areas do need to be spread out low and flush with the mattress for top to meet home to the body.

A little fiddly, though practise will make perfect. Just ask @Stan53, he'll be a pro at it now.

Pace.

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
Hi new owner of the swan, cant seem to get the top down, its really hard to get the clips on, is it just a case of putting the canvas in , in a certain way ??? also having problems with the top part of the door as in the window has popped out and a clip is broken anyone else had issues with the it ??? it has to go back to the dealer to be fixed as it happened first time out :(
Hi @Mish. Welcome to the site.
We owned a swan outback for many years, before upgrading to the Panda.

We would push RHS bed in & I would go inside van and fold canvas in over the bed ... sort of like wrapping a present, (flat on top of bed, with ends folded neatly over the top). I wld do the same with the other end & jump out of van, b4 LHS bed was fully pushed in.

We wld then wind the van down, stopping every 2feet or so, to gently guide canvas in (remembering not to push/pull on flyscreen, as it cld damage it).

Once there was about 2" left to wind down, we would go around and gently push canvas in. After last 2" were wound down, we would clip van down one corner diagonally at a time. My husband would pull down on van where clips were, & I wld clip van down. I always found it easier in hot weather ... Canvas is more pliable. Sometimes we would have to unwind clips a little bit, if it was too hard.

Hope that helps and enjoy your Swan.

Reactions: Mish

Mish

Feb 9, 2014
cookamidgera nr Parkes
g

We would push RHS bed in & I would go inside van and fold canvas in over the bed ... sort of like wrapping a present, (flat on top of bed, with ends folded neatly over the top). I wld do the same with the other end & jump out of van, b4 LHS bed was fully pushed in.

We wld then wind the van down, stopping every 2feet or so, to gently guide canvas in (remembering not to push/pull on flyscreen, as it cld damage it).

Once there was about 2" left to wind down, we would go around and gently push canvas in. After last 2" were wound down, we would clip van down one corner diagonally at a time. My husband would pull down on van where clips were, & I wld clip van down. I always found it easier in hot weather ... Canvas is more pliable. Sometimes we would have to unwind clips a little bit, if it was too hard.

great thank you I knew it had to be that but just could not work out how to get it right :) I will give it a go next week Thank u .

Mish

Feb 9, 2014
cookamidgera nr Parkes
@Mish Welcome to the forum. Ah, vivid memories of the same thing when were proud new owners of our Swan. Be sure the water tap is down in the sink tub, yes the canvas walls do really need to push into the body area a fair bit.

The bed slides do need to be over the inneredge of the front/ rear body walls for the roof to clip down, too the bed end canvas areas do need to be spread out low and flush with the mattress for top to meet home to the body.

A little fiddly, though practise will make perfect. Just ask @Stan53, he'll be a pro at it now.

Pace.
thank you I hope it get eaiser with time and pratice I will put all the ideas in pratice next week and will let you know how I go :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When we had our Hawk as one of us was winding the roof down someone was walking around the van tucking the canvas in neatly and also making sure the canvas didnt get damaged.

And welcome to the forum

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
being new is always good -
being Blonde - well...................................................................................................................................................................

hope you enjoy all the info on here - not just about Swans, but plenty of good Ideas for general use

cheers

Reactions: Mish and Stan53

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
we see a few that are very hard to close the last couple of inches, main cause is the mattress and stuff, if you have a innerspring it's a couple of inches thicker and if you leave a doona or blanket on the bed it's even worse. so it's a matter of getting everything nice and flat.

The new windows are held in with doublesided tape and in the warm weather this lets go, we fix em by slasing the glass in, some people don't like this tho as you can see the outline of the slas from the inside thru the glass. in that case it's just double tape again .....

Do you have a fiama awning ? these can cause issues with roof closing as they actually straighten out the sides a bit, preventing the roof from going over the door lip. Jayco can fix this by installing reverse bent spreader bars in the roof to make it curve a little bit. if you have AC on the roof these should be fitted as standard, so they might just need to bend them more.

Reactions: Mish and Stan53

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
forgot to mention ......
handy hint when pushing the tent section is is to use a closed fist, that way you have less chance of poking a hole in the flyscreen

Reactions: Stan53 and bigcol

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
My Swift was the same until I figured I needed to push the bed trays in just beyond the inner lip and make sure that the canvas is well tucked in and then the top closed perfectly all the time.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
another thing they NEVER tell you - but sell you a "pole" for

when you wind the roof up, as your walking around doing the bed ends and putting the "flaps" over the uprights,

lift the bottom section or the upright UP........
hard to explain, but if you put your top up, and look at the uprights in each corner, you will notice that there is a small square tube inside a larger square tube(at the bottom) grab the large square tube and lift up

this will help with the "stability" of the roof

cheers

Reactions: Stan53

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside

We did same.
Also try unwinding the white clip one or two turns. If you are sure all the canvas is safely inside and not likely to get pinched pull down on roof with one hand whilst clipping with other. Clip is at full extension when clip and locking lever are 180 degrees apart and shorten when lever is pushed up into lock position. We had swan on before upgrading to 17.56-1 OB.