Surround Sound for TV

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Hi. I have the new 2013 17.56-2 outback with the fusion sound system installed. Is it possible to get the sound of the TV to come out the speakers in the van. I found three plugs in the cupboard where the TV plugs are. They are Yellow, White and Red. I tried pluging them into the TV. Nothing happened. Can anyone help?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have a 21012 17:56-2 with standard DVD/radio and indoor/outdoor speakers.
In my case, the 3 colourd plugs you mentioned are to take sound and video from the radio/dvd player and run it through your TV. In theory you would not need a DVD player in the TV, you would use the one installed in the van.
I, like you, wanted to reverse the proccess and play my TV/Pc's music and video through the Vans speakers. What I have done is un-plug the Red, yellow and white plugs (known as RCAs) from the back of the Radio/DVD and plugged them into the auxillary input in the front of the unit (with an adaptor). Works really well.

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Thank you. Im test running everything this weekend on our first trip.. Lucky I packed all my tools to take things apart and experiment. ;)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Cool.
I actually did a little more tinkering. A tad hard to explain, but I didn't just pull the RCAs out of the back and put them into the front. I also added a short RCA cable into the back of the unit that is accessible in the cupboard next to it so that I can choose to run ii as originally intended. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Yep, Mine is setup exactly as Relgate said.

The standard Pioneer CD/DVD stereo head unit has the AV / RCA outputs on the rear for 3 coloured plugs (Red = Right channel Audio, White = Left channel audio and Yellow = Video). The RCA cable runs to the top of the TV cabinet for connection into the TV’s AV RCA Inputs.

Check your Fusion user manual as their high end head units have Auxiliary inputs = RCA Red/White (Left/Right Audio) (the factory installed Pioneer unit doesn’t L).

Thus you can get the neater / pro-install look by removing the head unit and swapping the red and white cables to input – if you have them – and just leave the yellow RCA lead disconnected. Vwwalla you can have sound out of the speakers from your TV.

Audiophiles will tell you RCA line inputs will give you better audio quality too – but for now my 3.5mm aux input on the front sounds way better than the TV’s speakers and is cheaper than replacing the head unit…

Cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Here are the pics.
I've pulled all of the wires out so you can see them more clearly.
You can also see the RCA-stereo adaptor plug
20130621_154532.jpg
20130621_154556.jpg

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Thank you I will give it a try. Least of my worries now. Shower leaks like a sieve, spent the last hour cleaning up water. NOT HAPPY. >:(

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have a 21012 17:56-2 with standard DVD/radio and indoor/outdoor speakers.
In my case, the 3 colourd plugs you mentioned are to take sound and video from the radio/dvd player and run it through your TV. In theory you would not need a DVD player in the TV, you would use the one installed in the van.
I, like you, wanted to reverse the proccess and play my TV/Pc's music and video through the Vans speakers. What I have done is un-plug the Red, yellow and white plugs (known as RCAs) from the back of the Radio/DVD and plugged them into the auxillary input in the front of the unit (with an adaptor). Works really well.

Thats interesting mate, i always thought these RCA cables was for TV output, tried it once and got a high pitched noise through van speakers. I will pull the stereo out and plug into stereo input instead.....didn't know this thanks!

clynto

Jun 28, 2012
Sunshine coast QLD
Hi Adam I have the same system. Yes I just got a headphone jack plug with rca conections on the end. Plug headphone jack into tv and rca end plugs into existing rca plug in cupboard and tv will now play through all selected zones. I hope this makes sense. You can also plug rca from cupboard direct to tv and place a dvd into fusion cd slot this will also play dvd through tv and all zones. Hope this helps. Ps mine was wired wrong so I had a little trouble at first. Cheers Clynt

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have gone a slightly different option. I purchased a head unit that accepts a TV antenna and has a tuner inside.
this then sends the signal to the TV as well as all my speakers.
So in the end the TV is nothing more than a monitor really. I use the remote supplied with the head unit to flick through channels or select a DVD or play a song on the iPod or play a movie stored on the hard drive.

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
I went out and bought a adapter from dick smith and tried it this morning all I go was the high piched sound from the speakers too. My cd
Thats interesting mate, i always thought these RCA cables was for TV output, tried it once and got a high pitched noise through van speakers. I will pull the stereo out and plug into stereo input instead.....didn't know this thanks!

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Yes mate, It leaked through the cupboards and ran out the door. Lucky i caught it early so no damage! Apon a closer investigation I found the silicone in the cubical must have been put in by an apprentice using his big toe. Bits have been missed completely. I also found that the majority of the water was coming from around the plug hole which also has not been installed using any silicone. I have spent the remainder of my weekend drying out in preparation for re-sealing the whole cubical. I also put a extra piece of aluminum on the bottom of the door way to prevent water for splashing outside onto the floor.
Did it leak into the vans floor?

Make sure the base isn't cracked mate or is it leaking from behind the wall?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yes mate, i leaked through the cupboards and run out the door. Lucky i caught it early so no damage! Apon a closer investigation I found the silicone in the cubical must have been put in by an apprentice using his big toe. Bits have been missed completely. I also found that the majority of the water was coming from around the plug hole which also has not been installed using any silicone. I have spend the remained of my weekend drying out in preparation for re-sealing the whole cubical. I also put a extra piece of aluminum on the bottom of the door way to prevent water for splashing outside onto the floor.
That is crap news that you have to do all that. And I bet when Burnsy reads this his affliction is going to return immediately.:faint2:

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Im not happy. But I would rather isolate and fix the problems my self, then at least I know its been done properly. But if the van suffered any damage I would have been ringing the dealer first up monday to express my opinion.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
That is crap news that you have to do all that. And I bet when Burnsy reads this his affliction is going to return immediately.:faint2:

Yeah not good! Adam79 I'd still let Jayco know about it, they will make note of it so your covered if there's any future problems.