Surburban HWS Recall

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
That's been going on for a while now, it started as a bit of a frantic recall but for quite some time they skirted around explaining what the actual issue was.

It must have quite serious because the AGA suspended the gas licence of the manufacturer.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats what i though I hadn't seen anything and the info is dated a month ago, just surprised no one brought it up on here.............after the hail repairs on Big Mal I checked the seal on my HWS mainly for water though didn't think about exhaust getting in....
Doesn't say where or how though.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
It has been serious enough that no vans with them installed can be sold. It appears that Jayco have switched over to a instant H/W system which has upset people because it takes 6l of water pulled from the tap before it gets hot.

Seems stupid. They won't bite the bullet and force a complete recall. So if you own one, it seems that it is perfectly safe to continue using it. Although there seems to be a mention somewhere advising to run it only on 240V but not on gas.

Apparently it only becomes an issue if you want to sell a van with one in installed in it.

Go figure that one out.

cheers
Mike

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
A little inside info, there IS an issue with these hws, BUT someone that works for AGA had a problem and was fobbed off by the importer (Coast RV(Jayco), and made good on what weren't empty threats of pulling their certification.

Last edited:

rags

As Crusty has mentioned, this has been floating around for a few weeks now but at this stage the ACCC haven’t yet issued a product recall. It has only been issued as a safety alert by gas regulators.
The alert relates to a batch and any future batches due to removal of certification.
The ESV notice that Drover has linked explains the situation.
or https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/busine...le-water-heaters?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=print_preview
There may be a recall issued by the ACCC in the near future and quite likely apply to more heaters than just the serial number range issued in the safety alert.

Reactions: BaxnRach

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Good one @rags , seems all the states are on the wagon about it but none actually state how, I wonder if they have changed the outer door/flue ? be interesting to find out actually what the cause is.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
As Crusty has mentioned, this has been floating around for a few weeks now but at this stage the ACCC haven’t yet issued a product recall. It has only been issued as a safety alert by gas regulators.
The alert relates to a batch and any future batches due to removal of certification.
The ESV notice that Drover has linked explains the situation.
or https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/busine...le-water-heaters?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=print_preview
There may be a recall issued by the ACCC in the near future and quite likely apply to more heaters than just the serial number range issued in the safety alert.
The useless ACCC will only announce a recall a week after Coast Rv announces a voluntary recall and the ACCC is 110% sure the Coast Rv recall wasnt a hoax.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Back in 2016 my then new Surburban set off the CO alarm on a windy day. The wind was really strong and side on to the van and the hws located next to the tunnel boot. I found plenty of drafts coming thru the boot and bedside cupboards so I removed the Surburban outer door frame to find there was no sealant between the frame and the body (there is a very thin foam strip). I sealed up every gap and hole I could see and that reduced the alarm frequency.
It's also located below a window so I can't have that open either.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Back in 2016 my then new Surburban set off the CO alarm on a windy day. The wind was really strong and side on to the van and the hws located next to the tunnel boot. I found plenty of drafts coming thru the boot and bedside cupboards so I removed the Surburban outer door frame to find there was no sealant between the frame and the body (there is a very thin foam strip). I sealed up every gap and hole I could see and that reduced the alarm frequency.
It's also located below a window so I can't have that open either.

I have seen ones that have the 240v inlet just above the HWS, so the lead is actually hanging over and touching the exhaust unless you tie it up out of the way, so puts the Kybosch on the highly paid designers knowing what they are doing not to mention QC.................. Have seen on many that the grommets where the gas line and ignition wire don't seal at all.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234