NSW Sturt NP: Dead horse gully campsite

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Expanda sized sites but some tight tracks around sites. A generator and non-generator section but best sites in the non section. We were the only ones there so used the gennie in the non section but I trust you guys to keep my secret. Campsite has good facilities, clean drop toilets, bbq's and picnic tables. A nice walk and lots of rocks for the kid to climb on. Shade is in short supply but there is some. $5 an adult and $3 a child per night plus $7 vehicle is very cheap especially when you have a park pass and don't have to pay the $7 vehicle fee.

Reccommended.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Went pretty well, a few casualty's:

• Broken Elbow on the rear tank, rock strike
  • Brake wire disconnected (wires appear unmarked so dunno if I have polarity right)
  • Bike rack gooseneck bent (straightened and strengthened in BH repainting when I get home)
  • Mixer tap undone
  • Tow mirror fell off but didn't break
  • Couple of new creaks and groans, particularly the front door but may just be current campsite
  • Dust, dust, and more dust but not unexpected and duct tape stopped a lot.

I dropped the tyres down to 25psi, car as well, and it seems to handle the bumps and corrugations pretty well, overall I'm happy. Stone Stomper worked well (thanks Christian) though I got an interesting collection of rocks in the centre of it. Towed well over the bumps, sand and rocks. Fuel consumption was up but then the tyres were down. I had a look under the van today and noticed the brake wire and tank damage but other then new dents all looks OK. Be interested to know why Jayco put a metal cover in front of the water tanks but doesn't extend it 2 inches to cover the plumbing? On the list for home along with a scupper vent :) may not fix the problem but can't make it any worse. Actually, I probably exaggerate the dust, I have a very thin layer over everything in the van and some trouble areas like the rear storage. Bought a little vacuum today to help out with that one. Wipe everything down with a damp cloth, vacuum up the rest and perhaps a blow out with the compressor when I get home.