Strengthening Rear Bumper!!!

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Just wanted to add my 2 cents ...... at our dealership we will not fit anything to rear bars. I've seen the results from just 2 bikes on the rear bumper crack the chassis at rear spring mounts ..... seems the bikes bouncing up and down a bit is enough to set it off over time

Reactions: blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Just wanted to add my 2 cents ...... at our dealership we will not fit anything to rear bars. I've seen the results from just 2 bikes on the rear bumper crack the chassis at rear spring mounts ..... seems the bikes bouncing up and down a bit is enough to set it off over time
:welcome: @DaveS

Have you seen or experienced any effects of spare wheels mounted under the rear of vans?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
I've only ever fitted one on a outback van (can't remember the model) customer supplied one of those chain type spare wheel carriers that you wind down, all we did was weld 100x50 RHS across rear chassis up against floor for mounting plus a few plates to locate the wheel and informed owner that we were not liable for any damage it could do, he was fine with that, personally i think it will be fine as rear water tanks are mounted like that across the chassis and they hold more weight than a spare and i've never seen damage from them, i think the rear bar mounting is like putting something on the end of a seesaw and it tends to bounce which causes the metal fatigue and on saying that i've seen heaps of vans with big storage boxes and jerry holders mounted on bar with no problems, could be effected by the driver and road conditions to some extent

Reactions: cruza driver

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi there @DaveS and welcome. Is the cracking that you speak of in the section that Jayco weld onto the side of the chassis that the rear bar goes through?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
one i saw was at the rear spring hangers ..... about 2 metres from rear of van, it was where one of the cross supports went so maybe the weld on the cross support had some effect on it cracking there, hairline crack up near the floor. we bravely ran away and handballed it to the factory to fix :)

i know the section you are talking about and the only damage i've seen there is crushing from the bolts which is common on most from a overzealous rattle gun

Reactions: blacky