Strengthening Rear Bumper!!!

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Just thought I would put this out there!

After a Conversation with @Burnsy regarding the addition of a bike rack to my rear bumper which will carry 2 bikes a decision was made to strengthen the bumper brackets.

So I towed the van over to @Burnsy as I didn't have the equipment to do the job (2x50mm gal rails to be drilled) and he proceeded to weave his magic and I ended up with 2 bolts either side running through chassis, bumper brackets and bumper itself for extra strength.

The reason for this thread is that with all the bike rack info going around I was wondering with the extra weight if anyone was doing anything about strengthening the rear bumper as the c rail brackets that hold the bumper in could do with some help really!
IMG_0528 (1632 x 1224).jpg
IMG_0529 (1632 x 1224).jpg
IMG_0530 (1632 x 1224).jpg
IMG_0532 (1632 x 1224).jpg

I now have bolts running horizontally and vertically as per pics!

Once again thanks @Burnsy !

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Even though Jayco provide the mounting point's for a rear bar on WnP's they refused to supply one when we ordered our van. Therefore I'm going to make my own but likewise I thought it needed to be strengthened a bit and intend to do similar cross bolting as additionally I want to use the points for tie downs for cyclone protection purposes. As the mounting points aren't very far inside the ends of the chassis rails I'm going to also try to add crush tubes to the bolts as well.

Phil

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Even though Jayco provide the mounting point's for a rear bar on WnP's they refused to supply one when we ordered our van. Therefore I'm going to make my own but likewise I thought it needed to be strengthened a bit and intend to do similar cross bolting as additionally I want to use the points for tie downs for cyclone protection purposes. As the mounting points aren't very far inside the ends of the chassis rails I'm going to also try to add crush tubes to the bolts as well.

Phil
I think crush tubes will add a lot of strength, even if you can't get access to weld them in, they still work almost as well as welded ones.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Burnsy, would these be standard size for all rear bar expandas or made to measure? If so would you consider making a couple (and charging)

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Burnsy, would these be standard size for all rear bar expandas or made to measure? If so would you consider making a couple (and charging)

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
I've just had another look and re read...... so it was just additional bolts, I thought from the pictures there was an additional bracket placed over also..... retract last comment and I'll go put my glasses on :)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I've just had another look and re read...... so it was just additional bolts, I thought from the pictures there was an additional bracket placed over also..... retract last comment and I'll go put my glasses on :)
Hahaha.....no worries. :)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
@Burnsy , good to meet you today and thanks for sorting me out-very happy with the strengthening and the mount... both will get used on Friday when we head off!

Cheers, Benrosenick
Good to meet you and your lovely wife too, hope you have a great holiday in your new van! :)

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
Got a photo or two for us @benrosenick ??

Here you go.. didn't get a chance to take any last night.

Here's the bumper bar bike rack mount

P1070026.JPG

And this is the strengthening. My rear bar mount isn't as long as @hamish22's, so instead could only replace the two vertical bolts through the welded on bracket with high tensile horizontal bolts through the chassis rail, bumper mount and welded bracket. @Burnsy suggested adding some spacers around the bolts inside the chassis rail for a little more strength, but to be honest I don't think it needs it. I have bounced around on the bar and it is solid - I realise the weight of the bikes bouncing on it for extended periods is very different, but I am ok to see how it goes for now and will check it for any movement regularly over the hols.

P1070028.JPG

P1070028.JPG

P1070030.JPG

Attachments

• P1070029.JPG
    P1070029.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 393