Storage Issue

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
Hi All

We are due to pick up our new 16.49 - 2 on 21 Dec 2011.

We want to store the van in the garage so it is out of the weather and not in the front yard but the garage opening is 70mm to low.

I have seen some new caravan storage wheels on ebay that willl reduce the height by 200mm which will suffice.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas or uses the lower storage wheels, I want to try and avoid expensive modifications to the garage.

Regards
Red

16.49 - 2 picking up 21 Dec 2011

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Can you just deflate the tyres enough to clear the garage door and then re-inflate them once inside, to protect the sidewalls of the tyres?

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Hi red,

We just picked up our 1649.2OB from page bros and encountered the same problem, ours was the angle of the drive going Into the garage tho. As Matty mentioned we did overcome the problem by literally a few millimeters by lowering the tyres and them put them back up again. I reckon we got a few inches out of lowering the tyres but I doubt we got 70mm. I also looked at the space saver tyres as my final plan and they should get you the full 70mm, just a bit of a hassle - but worth it if it means you can keep it undercover. The other issue with constantly putting the tyres up and down is that the OB ones come with nitrogen filled tyres (they could now all come this way, not sure) and I am diluting this each time I take it in and out. Good luck, great van. Ben

Reactions: Reds

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
What type of door you have on your garage if it's a roller door it might not be too difficult to get a bit of extra clearance

The door is a panel lift sectional door which can be retracted about 50mm, but the steel support which holds up the brick facia is the issue.

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
Reds,

We had the same issue with our 16.49-1 OB. Traded our 2006 OB Swan when we ordered the Expanda at the 2010 Brisbane camping show, got home to dwell in our new purchase and looked at the carport and the front garage and the back shed. about 100mm too low. You see we have to reverse uphill on our concrete drive way, reverse under the carport, through the front garage (roller doors at front and back) and then up our rear gravel drive into our 12 x 6 m shed at the back of the block. Jayco wanted us to fork our more dollars for their storage wheels. So I went to the wreckers, got two rodeo 16 inch steel rims, put a set of stupidly low profile tyres (seconds from a tyre shop) on and keep them with around 15psi in each. Then I had to raise the carport by 400mm to match the shed heights, then grind off the door stops on the track guides to get the door up an extra 100mm on all three doors. When we get home from our trips I take off the road wheels, put on the shed ones and back we go. I leave the shed ones on but put it up on axle stand to avoid stuffing up the tyres being with so low pressure and all. That's what happens when we don't do regular trips. normally I just reverse up under the carport, chuck it up on axle stands, put the van cover on and wait for the next trip.

I have an appointment this week to see a Phsyc about my condition. Love my van.

Rick