17' Series stone/rock deflectors/guards

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
This is mine, heavy shade cloth covering, conveyer rubber mud flaps.
image.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My mud flap runs across just in front of the drop down legs but has cuts at the chassis rail which while the sections overlap they can move, not just one full piece from side to side, did that so if I straddle a dead roo the section will move and not rip the whole thing off.

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
On last weekends trip we had about 40km of dirt you could see the dust in a vortex spiraling out either side of the van down low. The other thing on reflection is the lack of dust either on the back window or in the van. The 200s with that stupid spoiler attract dust to the rear window like proverbial to a blanket normally. After this trip SFA dust on the window and on our few trips on dusty roads since menindee lakes we are getting virtually no dust inside (Menindee was different cause we forgot to latch the front window, never do that again!). The only dust on the van was to the large flat back panel?

Thinking about it rereading this thread thats how it's getting the economy , effectivly making it one big rig as opposed to a car and van?

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now I'll have to find a dirt road to see what mine does....thanks.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well this is @cruza driver great shot. Was actually thinking of this photo when I saw what ours was doing but hadn't seen this thread. Guess it's going to depend on the type of dust, but on Saturday it was spiraling and heading out lower, maybe awning bracket hieght.

Photo courtesy of @cruza driver

image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Curse you @achjimmy , now I want to belt along a dirt road and see what mine looks like, be interesting to see some comparo's with the differen't set ups. I reckon your onto something, I know after I fitted mine the van felt like it towed differen't and I did wonder if the big mud flap caused a low pressure zone under the van.
Most interesting......

Reactions: bigcol

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Stone stomper for us .
After losing the rear window on the Colorado canopy coming out of the Flinders Rangers we got a stone stomper
And haven't had a mark on either since .

Reactions: achjimmy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My stone guard hasn't effected my consumption at all, in fact something I did has improved it........must be something about the design and the airflow at the back of your vehicle I know mine is running about 2l/100k better than before but couldn't think of what I've done, maybe my design has improved the aerodynamics ??????.........that would be a fluke for sure.
Handbrake?

Last edited: