17' Series stone/rock deflectors/guards

Draino

Apr 19, 2015
newman
Whats everyones prefference on stone/rock deflectors/guards for a 17.56-2 extended draw bar please.

Was looking at Rock Tamers but open to suggestions pics would be good please.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Stone Stomper is the ultimate but really depends on what your driving over, staying mostly on the tar it would be overkill $$ wise for sure and just a stone shield like mine would be enough.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Stone Stomper is the ultimate but really depends on what your driving over, staying mostly on the tar it would be overkill $$ wise for sure and just a stone shield like mine would be enough.

Yep for sure not needed on tar.

Nothing scientific but when I went from the Expanda with the big stone shield to the starcraft with the stone stomper fuel consumption improved even though the starcraft is 4-500 kgs heavier. Duals probably help that but the stone shield would of for sure as well

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
+5 1/2
Recently bought one but haven't used it yet as still in fitting stage along with other changes and trip starts soon(ish).
Early last year I made up an angled one but the trip was aborted. Since then I've relocated the gas bottles forward out of the tool box on the front to make way for the genie. In doing so there isn't enough room for the old stone shield so ordered the Stone Stomper earlier that I intended to anyway.

As far as statements go that you don't need one for bitumen touring I'd disagree. Not with a van in tow, but so many times over decades on the NT's narrow previous Stuart Hwy I've found it necessary to put wheels in the dirt to get out of the way of oncoming traffic (particularly road-trains and wide loads) and often to overtake traffic (unlikely with a van behind). There's also the occasional roadworks to contend with and short side trips. I'd rather protect my vehicles from these all the time than to not have one when I do really need it.

Edit: Old one available as a gift to anyone who wishes to drive up here and collect it.

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Yep for sure not needed on tar.

Nothing scientific but when I went from the Expanda with the big stone shield to the starcraft with the stone stomper fuel consumption improved even though the starcraft is 4-500 kgs heavier. Duals probably help that but the stone shield would of for sure as well
I take my stone shield off when not doing long kms on dirt and notice a large improvement in fuel economy.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yes, my home made job
Interesting. I was flipping btw the Stone Stomper and the traditional guard. I think the Stone Stomper is better, but I can make myself a traditional guard for a fraction of the cost. But the fuel savings you found has tip the scale, cheers

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Interesting. I was flipping btw the Stone Stomper and the traditional guard. I think the Stone Stomper is better, but I can make myself a traditional guard for a fraction of the cost. But the fuel savings you found has tip the scale, cheers
It's about 1/2 litre per 100kms higher with a head wind

Reactions: Crusty181

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

interesting that it (traditional style stone shield) would effect the fuel consumption

not sure I can fathom how................................ considering its in front of a dirty great sail (caravan)
but then its Friday night, and I'm tired....................

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My stone guard hasn't effected my consumption at all, in fact something I did has improved it........must be something about the design and the airflow at the back of your vehicle I know mine is running about 2l/100k better than before but couldn't think of what I've done, maybe my design has improved the aerodynamics ??????.........that would be a fluke for sure.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
interesting that it (traditional style stone shield) would effect the fuel consumption

not sure I can fathom how................................ considering its in front of a dirty great sail (caravan)
but then its Friday night, and I'm tired....................
Big heavy mud flaps hanging down to ground level, reducing flow under car and van, then a solid object between car and van, facing slightly downwards, forcing the swirling air straight back on itself and under the car.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
I have a set of Rock Tamers. They do a good job of stopping chips from larger stones. However, the draw bar, gas bottles and, to a lesser extent, the front checker plating, get a lot of fine stone marks - almost like a sand blasting. I think the Stone Stompers probably do a better job and am considering getting one after I pick up new the new 17.56-2 OB.

Worth noting about the Rock Tamers is that they are not tailored to a specific van and therefore can be kept when you change your van.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Big heavy mud flaps hanging down to ground level, reducing flow under car and van, then a solid object between car and van, facing slightly downwards, forcing the swirling air straight back on itself and under the car.

Thats what mine has, full mud flap of conveyor belt across front of van but it is in 3 sections to allow flow, maybe mine being on van not the tug has improved the dynamics ??????

stoneg01-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol