Starcraft Starcraft hot water

Gocats

Feb 16, 2016
Colac
Just picked up new 2015 Starcraft,plugged in the power lead connected mains water turned the toggle switch on the outside of the van to 'on' waited half an hour no hot water, is there any other switches I need to have turned on.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Gocats If you are running from 240v, there will be a 240v lead plugged into a power point inside near the HWS itself. You'll need to turn it on.

We leave the outide switch on permanently, and use the inside one to turn it on and off.

Make sure you have run the water from the hot water tap first, as if the tank is empty, you'll burn out the element.

Reactions: Drover and MDS69

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
If the above does not work there is a circuit breaker outside near the on / off switch. Just looks like a black grommet.
Push it in to reset.
Let me know if you need a picture of it.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thank you for replying, found a power point under the bed that was turned off, turned this on and now have warm water, not that hot.

It takes quite a while to heat up on 240v.

We tend to leave it on 240 when in parks for washing up and general hot water use.

When we want to have a shower, particularly if you want a longer shower, we turn in the gas at the same time as electric, and we find it keeps up.

Gocats

Feb 16, 2016
Colac
Thanks guys, water is quite hot now, am I right in assuming that if using mains water that I can empty the water tanks

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks guys, water is quite hot now, am I right in assuming that if using mains water that I can empty the water tanks

Kind of, the toilet still takes water out of the tanks even if you are on external water. No idea why they do that.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Kind of, the toilet still takes water out of the tanks even if you are on external water. No idea why they do that.
Some like mine do have a separate flush water tank. I tought it maybe only the full ensuites that have the toilet water drawn from the main tanks, but I stand to be corrected.

What model Star Craft do you have @Gocats ? And glad you found the problem too its great when its any fix :thumb:

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
It takes quite a while to heat up on 240v.

We tend to leave it on 240 when in parks for washing up and general hot water use.

When we want to have a shower, particularly if you want a longer shower, we turn in the gas at the same time as electric, and we find it keeps up.

Interesting that you say that @Bellbirdweb the HWS in my Starcraft heats up in about 15-20mins to the point you cannot put your hand under it! I agree it is quicker on gas.but 240V is never a prob for us.

Gocats

Feb 16, 2016
Colac
Some like mine do have a separate flush water tank. I tought it maybe only the full ensuites that have the toilet water drawn from the main tanks, but I stand to be corrected.

What model Star Craft do you have @Gocats ? And glad you found the problem too its great when its any fix :thumb:

Hi, model is a 19.61-2 SC. one more question, mate come around to check the van out yesterday and asked where the hot water tank was, had a look and could not find it, does this need to be emptied at any stage.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi, model is a 19.61-2 SC. one more question, mate come around to check the van out yesterday and asked where the hot water tank was, had a look and could not find it, does this need to be emptied at any stage.

The manual recommends draining the water if leaving the van for extended periods. This is to help extend the life of the anode inside the water tank.

If you open the metal cover on hot water system on the outside of the van, you will see a large brass nut towards the bottom, after you have relieved the pressure by turning on the taps inside (with the water off and power/gas off) you can then unscrew this nut, which is actually the anode.

Removing this will drain the tank. The anode also leave crap inside the tank as it decays, so its a good idea to flush the tank whenever you replace this every 12 months or so.

If you look in a cupboard inside that is opposite the location of the cover outside, you should find the tank. Its a hexagonal unit covered outside with foam insulation.

Attached is a troubleshooting guide on the unit that you may find helpful.

Attachments

• suburban.pdf
    810.7 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and Drover

Gocats

Feb 16, 2016
Colac
The manual recommends draining the water if leaving the van for extended periods. This is to help extend the life of the anode inside the water tank.

If you open the metal cover on hot water system on the outside of the van, you will see a large brass nut towards the bottom, after you have relieved the pressure by turning on the taps inside (with the water off and power/gas off) you can then unscrew this nut, which is actually the anode.

Removing this will drain the tank. The anode also leave crap inside the tank as it decays, so its a good idea to flush the tank whenever you replace this every 12 months or so.

If you look in a cupboard inside that is opposite the location of the cover outside, you should find the tank. Its a hexagonal unit covered outside with foam insulation.

Attached is a troubleshooting guide on the unit that you may find helpful.

Hi thanks for your reply much appreciated

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi, just drained both water tank,attached mains water and toilet still flushing, thanks you your reply

Good to know. Does the water pump operate when you press the flush button, even through the water pump switch is turned off ?

Ours does, so had assumed its taking water from the tanks, but perhaps its just operating the pump from the outside supply.