Starcraft Starcraft 22.68-1OB

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
I'm retiring within next 18 months and considering this type of caravan. With the bunk beds we can take Grandkids. Better still I can lend it to the Kids who can take Grandkids.
I'm waiting for Caravan show in Brisbane next month to narrow down the field, but I'd like to go with a bit
of research under my belt.
Can you get a an external TV for this model?
4wdphil's rig sounds near perfect.
Lastly would a 2016 Mazda BT50 dual cab do the job?

Reactions: dagree and 4wdphil

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Welcome @RKB
I have a BT50 and the 22ft starcraft.
The mazda tows it with ease. Highly recommended.
Have you towed before? The 22 is a big van and therefore a bit of a handful but if that doesn't worry you then it is an awesome set up. We love our rig.

You can option the outdoor entertainment door. Basically a door and small storage area that holds a tv arm and has power, coax and rca leads. Tv is stored inside the van

Good luck. Any more questions send them our way

Reactions: 17triton and dagree

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
I'm retiring within next 18 months and considering this type of caravan. With the bunk beds we can take Grandkids. Better still I can lend it to the Kids who can take Grandkids.
I'm waiting for Caravan show in Brisbane next month to narrow down the field, but I'd like to go with a bit
of research under my belt.
Can you get a an external TV for this model?
4wdphil's rig sounds near perfect.
Lastly would a 2016 Mazda BT50 dual cab do the job?
Hi RKB.
You can get an external TV. We also added the external entertainment pack onto the van. We added it for resale value thinking we would not use it but in reality we have used it a fair bit. Well worth getting.
Also towing it is easy. The bigger the van the easier they are to tow(just need to swing out a little further when slow turning) and reverse (does not turn in as quick as a small van/ trailer).
The BT50 should have no issues. I will be selling my cruiser (100 series) in the near future and will be buying a Ford Ranger.
We love our van. You wont be disappointed. Do your home work with what accessories you want and then push the dealer hard to get a great price.
If you have any questions just ask mate.

Reactions: 17triton and dagree

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
Thanks relgate
This will be our first van although we did tow my Father's 15 foot Viscount to both the Goldy & Sunny Coasts around 30 years ago so that probably doesn't count.
Our plan is to do some short trips before the "Big One". I'll need a set up where we can free camp in some of the more remote areas.
Once that is complete I'll probably lend it to both my kids for school holidays, so it's got to be a bit versatile.
I'm reading all these posts and trying to get as much info as I can.

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
Thanks Phil
I'm pretty sure there's only 1 dealer in Brisbane so they may not be too willing to negotiate but we'll see.
I like the sound of your van. I hope I can pick up some good tips on what I should get in the way of accessories here.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @RKB, plenty of help and info here. We have a BT50 pulling our Journey which goes up 2.4 T and it has no worries pulling it. We bought our van from the Brisbane show in 2014 and were quite happy with the deal we received from the local dealer but had to wait around 5 months for delivery. Just make sure you do your homework on the price of vans and options and you can screw them down for a few more extras at the show. We managed extra power points, extra magazine pockets, 3 anderson plugs on draw bar, full curtains instead of the useless half curtains normally supplied. Push for as many extras possible as freebies. Good luck, we may pass by at the next show.:D

Reactions: dagree

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Welcome @RKB to the forum. Don't feel obliged to buy from Brisbane just because you live there, give a few dealers within 4-500k a call and get some prices to compare. Have your options sorted so you can compare apples with apples. Most people get better prices outside of the shows and with less pressure.

Reactions: dagree and twscoot

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi RKB.
I also forgot to mention that I have friends up in QLD who bought there vans from Geelong and Melbourne. They found that Vic was a few thousand dollars cheaper than QLD. They made a holiday out of coming down and collecting the van. Drove down in 2 and a bit days and then took there time driving back. Just another option.

Reactions: mfexpanda

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
Thanks everybody.
I've been absorbing all this info. My wish list is growing to the point it'll be that heavy I'll need a F350 to tow it.
Good point about not having to buy in Brisbane. Anywhere on the East Coast is 2 days or less away.

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
After reading a lot online, I've become more confused the more I read.
With regards to weights please let me know if I've got it correct?
Mazda BT50 GT Dual Cab
Kerb Wt 2105kg
Plus Accessories 190kg ( Bullbar Canopy etc.)
Driver & Passenger 170kg
Gear (Approx) 40kg
Ball Weight 195kg (Jayco website)
GVM 2700kg
Jayco 22.68-1 OB
Tare 2505kg
Extras (BBQ etc.) 295kg
Payload 500kg (Incl Water Gas Cookware etc.)
GTM 3300kg
GCM 6000kg.
Is that how to calculate?
If so it's a bit tight.
I may have to rethink the tug.
Cheers

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It would be tight.

Payload 500 (including gas water cookware)....gas (2x 9kilo bottles filled) and water...(2or 3 x 82 litres) that's:

500 less 18 less 164 or 246 so ....either 318 or 256 depending on number of tanks

Then you take clothing, cookware BBQ etc etc....anything you include after ....and that's what you have to play with.

Have a look at the spreadsheet I posted a while ago....under "suggestion for checking important weights"

That might help. (Sorry I've forgotten how to post a link!). And I hope I haven't caused any confusion.

Good luck with it.

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
heres our weights - got it weighed on the way home from the dealer (inc water and gas and a full fuel tank)

pics are here
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/our-new-22-68-1ob-s-craft.8760/

'14 Triton GLXR Auto & Starcraft.
At time of weighing Van has two full 80 or 90 something litre water tanks, two full gas bottles and a full battery.
Ute weights include full fuel tank, me (90kg), tub liner, rubber mat, a few spanners, and WDH bars and tow hitch.

GCM 5700kg - actual CM 4820kg
GVM 2930kg - actual VM 2080kg
Tow ball weight limit 300kg - actual towball weight 180kg
Towing limit 3000kg
Van ATM 2985kg (could have been higher but wanted it below 3000kg) - actual van weight as described above 2620kg.

Van Tare according to the weighbridge ticket from Jayco is 2473kg, and they reckon the ball weight is 177kg - so pretty right really.

So we have a reasonable bit of payload for both the ute and van available even taking the GCM and individual GVM and ATM into account.

(so payload would include towball weight, clothes, 1x wife, 1x skinny 8yo girl, engel, more tools, food - all the usual stuff!)

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
@jawk your TBM only 180 is that with the van loaded? Mine is 270-280 on a Touring. Do you have extended drawbar?

nup, normal drawbar, only loaded with gas and water. Havent weighed it yet with tunnell boot full. I expect it to hit mid 200's after that and the under bed storage full of stuff. Will re-weigh once the van is up to holiday weight!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@jawk I only did ours full so 270-290 mark :( I am moving some things from tunnel boot further back see if it makes a difference once I have finished.
Thinking of toolkit etc in the back wardrobe.
We have a third tank so two in front of axle which does not help things as well

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
jawk, What options did you get fitted over and above standard layout.
I'm thinking roll out BBQ , extra table, bigger fridge, A/C upgrade, and maybe bigger wheels.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
After reading a lot online, I've become more confused the more I read.
With regards to weights please let me know if I've got it correct?
Mazda BT50 GT Dual Cab
Kerb Wt 2105kg
Plus Accessories 190kg ( Bullbar Canopy etc.)
Driver & Passenger 170kg
Gear (Approx) 40kg
Ball Weight 195kg (Jayco website)
GVM 2700kg
Jayco 22.68-1 OB
Tare 2505kg
Extras (BBQ etc.) 295kg
Payload 500kg (Incl Water Gas Cookware etc.)
GTM 3300kg
GCM 6000kg.
Is that how to calculate?
If so it's a bit tight.
I may have to rethink the tug.
Cheers

Nearly right. Once you load your van with all the extras you have mentioned your tow ball weight will go up. My max tow ball weight for my van is 270kg and once I am fully loaded with 3 water tanks and all the gear I am right up there. I did some calculations on the new ranger and the BT 50 and I found that I would have to do a GVM upgrade on the tug to be legal. The GVM upgrade is around $3000 for a lovels set up and gives you another 500kg for your tug to carry but it does not increase your Combined Vehicle Mass. I will be getting a Ranger with canopy, bull bar and a set of draws.

For these dual cabs you have to really consider a GVM upgrade especially is towing a 3 ton van.

Good luck

Reactions: davemc

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
jawk, What options did you get fitted over and above standard layout.
I'm thinking roll out BBQ , extra table, bigger fridge, A/C upgrade, and maybe bigger wheels.
Have a look at the link above for the extras... 2x outside table, drifter, ibis, bike racks, some extra 12v points...ummmm....