Starcraft Starcraft 22.68-1 OB Size

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Hi Guys- just trying to find out from people who have one if the overall size of the Caravan is limiting them from accessing places in the real world - we go to a couple of caravan parks regularly & these have all said that we can bring a van that size to our normal site but wondering if it is an issue in general? We are looking at doing a lot more free camping with the new one.
Still making up our mind if we go this or Expanda 20.64-1?
Thanks in advance - Dale

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I have the same van. I always say it is 9m in length. Can be difficult sometimes to get into some spots but just what we live with for having extra room!

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
I am loving the idea of pulling up, only having to roll out the awning & set up the privacy screens (if staying for more than a couple of days)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
its around 30cms difference between a 20.64 and a 22.68. I think once your got over 7m around a 17.56 you find some sites to small.
We have a touring 22.68 and we just asked for larger sites, with us it is normally our poor skills in backing which is the problem :)
The beds setup all the time is great although island bed is fantastic coming from the 17.58 we had to climb over each other.
Well worth the Starcraft for this alone.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Our Starcraft 20.62-3 is 8m in length. My decision to stick with this size (I was tempted with a 22) has meant we have been able to (just) fit on every site we've visited for the past 2.5 years where I know the 22 would have seen a few issues in several locations.

I think the 20 foot full size van is the perfect compromise. No setup at all. But I would say that wouldn't I! ;)

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks Guys - we have a 16-67 with the triple bunks, love the layout except not a fan of the narrow East/West bed & wife wants a separate shower & toilet otherwise I would look at a 20ft - we used to have an 18.57 with a combined Shower/Toilet and now want a separate one.
I had made finally made my mind up on a 20.64-2 with the triple bunks but they went & stopped making them!!

Sep 20, 2015
Adelaide
We have a 22.68-3 triple bunk OB, best investment ever! Out in the van right now, we have been to many places and never had an issue with fitting in to a site. We always make an assessment when nearing the site to make sure we get it right, you could have some troubles if you don't take your time to work out the best way to reverse in.

Reactions: twscoot

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
I have the 22.68-1 in the outback. Best van ever. My mate has the 20 footer that you are talking about and he is only 30 cm shorter in total length. Also the expanda is a lot colder than a full van, this is why we sold our expanda. We have not had any issues with sites. The larger the van the easier it is to back. Alsoour van is awesome free camping. You will not regret getting one

Reactions: relgate and twscoot

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks 4wdphil,
This is the Van that I originally wanted years ago but it was out of the budget & capability of the Tow Car that I had then.
What is the space like in the bunks - length will be fine was just curious about height between bunks as if i buy one I will be hanging onto it for a very long time.
Had a look at Brisbane Camperland at the 2016 & the layout + storage is insane!.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi DLT.
We have the double bunk version and there is ample room between the bunks. I am 6ft and I can sleep on either bunk in comfort. The top bunk is a little narrower than the bottom. There is also storage under the bottom bunk - this does not exist if you get the triple bunk.

I order my van as below.
22.68-1 OB
Double bunk
Cafe Style Dinette
Bigger fridge / freezer - 2 door
Roof hatch upgrade 500mm X 700mm to the front and mid hatches
Drifter control panel
3rd water tank - independent / completely separate to the other 2 tanks - sep filler.
water filter system to sink from 3rd tank only
Anderson plug direct to battery - for portable solar panel
External light off side - roughly where fridge is
External fold out tables X 2 - under bedroom window and kitchen window (approx)
External hatch to under bunk storage
Delete supplied TV
External entertainment package
12volt - both bed cubby holes - main bed
12volt and 240 - near radio (in the shelf)
12volt and 240 in storage area under double bed near foot end near battery box
Shelving to all robes
Add shelf X 1 to cupboard Left of microwave
Add wire rack to Left side of cook top
Fit supplied reversing camera

The larger roof hatches are so much better than the standard ones. These are like the ones in the silverline and are awesome.
We use both external tables regularly and glad we got 2 of them.

Best van ever.

We intend to keep this van until our girls are older and don't want to come with us any more so probably another 12 years.

20150107_123851_resized.jpg

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
4wdphil, if you don't mind me asking, how much roughly did that set up cost you? We have an Expanda at the moment but we are looking at something along the lines of what you described above, including those extra's.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi Nemesis.
I got an exceptional deal. Long story but after we sold our expanda we went to the Melbourne dealers - page bros and Bayswater jayco and harassed them for the best deal possible. Then after 10months of going every second weekend into prestige Jayco in Geelong we finally sat down with the salesman. I think he was in shock when we said lets talk. In the end we told him what we wanted and he knew that we had done our homework. He also lost the previous deal on our expanda to page bros 2 years prior. Any way he asked me what I was going to pay because he knew we went to Melbourne. We paid 55 for ours about 15 months ago. In saying that the prices have gone up. After doing the maths I think our van would retail over 70 at the moment.
The dealer said sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. They lost with us but at the time we were buying ours someone else was next to us and the bought a new silverline with all the extras and paid the full amount - not a single bit of bargaining - a win for the dealer.

My advise do your home work, know exactly what you want, shop around and then harass your local dealer - lots of visits. Push them hard for a low price and if they don't come to the party tell them you are going to another dealer. There is a huge rivalary between the Geelong and Melbourne dealers.
Also on another note, you will always buy a van cheaper in Victoria than anywhere else.

Hope this helps
You will not regret getting a 22.68-1. My wife is so much happier with this van. No canvas to deal with, warmer, easier and quicker to set up. It has been the best van we have had.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
you did well @4wdphil we paid not much less for a touring.. Although ours was floor stock we got it in Mt Gambier as cheaper then we could find one local in Melb :) Push the best deal and play dealers off each other, saying that our first van I did not get a great deal on looking back :)

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
When we went on a trip down the NSW south Coast last year we found a lot of the parks song the coast did not want vans over 21 ". A lot of them asked us what we had when we rang to book. Most would have fitted your van, perhaps they were scared of some peoples backing ability as well!!!!
One park we stayed at, at Batemans bay from memory, parked our van for us.

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks 4wdphil, I need a triple bunk as we have 3 kids & I am just a bit unsure of the height between the bunks.
Have only seen the Double Bunk at Brisbane Camperland, so I am still going to be a bit unsure until I see one in the flesh I expect.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks 4wdphil, I need a triple bunk as we have 3 kids & I am just a bit unsure of the height between the bunks.
Have only seen the Double Bunk at Brisbane Camperland, so I am still going to be a bit unsure until I see one in the flesh I expect.

no problems mate.. everything is a compromise when you need lots of beds, a shower and toilet and do not want a 30 foot monster van :)

@DLT I don't know if you checked out @Smergen 's new age gecko 19 ft with expanda type bed at front, 2 bunks one side and loft bunk on the other. I think it's a top layout for a family of 5.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/the-marshians-new-home-19ft-new-age-gecko.8550/

Reactions: davemc and Smergen