Starcraft Starcraft 20.62.3 Caravan

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has anything good/bad to say about this model Starcraft? I like the layout and it has an ensuite and 3 bunks at the rear. Anyone know if all Jayco vans can have a dinette conversion to a spare bed? Might be a middle range van to convince hubby to go with an ensuite......
Cheers
Sue

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has anything good/bad to say about this model Starcraft? I like the layout and it has an ensuite and 3 bunks at the rear. Anyone know if all Jayco vans can have a dinette conversion to a spare bed? Might be a middle range van to convince hubby to go with an ensuite......
Cheers
Sue

Well I reckon the good thing about it @FiveInAVan is that you "like the layout" and that's probably the most important

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Well I reckon the good thing about it @FiveInAVan is that you "like the layout" and that's probably the most important

Ha ha well I like it in theory but I haven't actually been in this model in real life. I think I know what I want but it keeps changing due to price/layout/ensuite/brand etc. Lucky I have plenty of time to decide!

Reactions: achjimmy

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds promising but be very sure the weights are appropriate for the tow vehicle.

We checked everything very carefully then found that ball weight and towing capability of car were both far too tight for our comfort. They were within range but there was little safety margin so ended up getting new vehicle just to be sure, to be sure.

An expensive exercise which we don't regret but also didn't really expect.

When you add the usual gas, water, personal gear, food wine etc as well as TV and all the other paraphernalia the allowable 375k (in our case) gets closer and closer. And you can't be sure the indicated weights listed in the brochure will match the actual weights when it's plated and delivered for you.

Good luck

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks heaps for the advice @Dobbie the weights scare me as I have read a thing or two on here about it. I don't actually know what my Prado pulls, think it's 2500. I was guessing if I keep the caravan weight to 2000ish then I should be right? Our other car is a Ranger but I'd prefer to take the comfier Prado.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks heaps for the advice @Dobbie the weights scare me as I have read a thing or two on here about it. I don't actually know what my Prado pulls, think it's 2500. I was guessing if I keep the caravan weight to 2000ish then I should be right? Our other car is a Ranger but I'd prefer to take the comfier Prado.

@FiveInAVan id make a guess and say a 20ft van loaded for 5 is going to be over 2500kg sorry. Our 17:58-3 is 2600-2700 loaded for a trip

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@FiveInAVan id make a guess and say a 20ft van loaded for 5 is going to be over 2500kg sorry. Our 17:58-3 is 2600-2700 loaded for a trip
Bugger! Was worried about that. Roughly how much weight do I need to allow for over the base weight to guess what the load weight will be @achjimmy ?

ETA - just googled it and I actually think my Prado will tow 3000, phew!

ETA2 - argh, nope 2500. What can I tow for that?!?

Last edited:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I love ours. But in outback guise they will be well over 2500kg.
We sold the Pajero as it couldn't tow it. Ball weights will be deceiving too if you follow my thread.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Can only reiterate that it can be a bit of a shock and concern when you look at the differences between the stated figures and the real ones...then add on the bits and pieces and necessities to those weights.

It's surprising how much we add.

We even went to the trouble of weighing everything added with a set of kitchen scales...ridiculous but we wanted some clear idea of extra weight...then tried to pare it back.

The booze stayed but we rethought our restocking options.
The food was rethought.....still carry lots as we really enjoy lots of options but did reduce multiple tons of tomatoes etc.
The clothes were reduced...more washing as we take fewer but are not fussy.
And we learned to live with what's left in the weight range.

It's interesting to do a rethink after every trip. What didn't we use? Will we ever need to use it?

We'd been focussing too much on the "what else do we need to take" rather than the " what can we do without".

The weber definately stays and the electronic toys but we can do without multiple sets of underclothes! Washing powder is lighter.