Chassis Spare Wheel Carrier - anyone used these ?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
More than adequate very few things use material near 3mm today . Our Jayco one is the weld on type and it's been fine so far and with the 16" on it its heavier than the normal 15" The only thing with that one you posted the bar mount part looks a tad short to me.

I was thinking the same @achjimmy.

For $63 I rekon it's worth a try.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I think I'd better sign up for a welding course.....and save some money.

Good luck with the bracket. Don't forget the spare will probably obscure the number plate so you may have to do some wiring and lights adjustments.

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I can't find the pic of ours now. But I'll tell you something I did . They are designed for the 15"s which have a different offset to the 16"s so when the genius at Jayco put the 16"s on it the inner dish of the rim just hits so I got some thick washers to space the rim out 4mm. But just to make it more I took to the webbing with a big ball pien hammer! Boy did it take some belting to create further clearance . Much more force than I think corrogations will inflict. They are adequate.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I think I'd better sign up for a welding course.....and save some money.

Good luck with the bracket. Don't forget the spare will probably obscure the number plate so you may have to do some wiring and lights adjustments.

Yes I'm going to need to move the number plate and light, as well as the reversing camera.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
image.jpeg
Well I decided to order one, just because it looked OK on line and didn't cost that much, so if it was rubbish I could live without it.

Arrived today and actually looks pretty good.

Will move the number plate, light and reversing camera on the weekend and will fit it up and see how the wheel goes.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
View attachment 39548 Well I decided to order one, just because it looked OK on line and didn't cost that much, so if it was rubbish I could live without it.

Arrived today and actually looks pretty good.

Will move the number plate, light and reversing camera on the weekend and will fit it up and see how the wheel goes.
I would strengthen the weld between the two pieces. Seems to me like they would twist apart. Can't see it clearly but the join there looks like a significant weak point, not sure though as the pic doesn't show the join clearly.
No harm in putting an extra bit of strength there. Too late if it does come off and you have to turn back and travel 550km to retrieve your wheel!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The seat for the wheel could do with a couple of studs to bolt the wheel down instead of a single bolt and plate.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I would strengthen the weld between the two pieces. Seems to me like they would twist apart. Can't see it clearly but the join there looks like a significant weak point, not sure though as the pic doesn't show the join clearly.
No harm in putting an extra bit of strength there. Too late if it does come off and you have to turn back and travel 550km to retrieve your wheel!

The welds look pretty good. I don't have ready access to be able to weld anything, hence the reason I wanted something off the shelf.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yeah agree with that. There is 2 holes there that can be used for the extra bolts

You can buy a couple of wheels studs with nuts at Supercheap, just match the size to your van and they hopefully will just hammer into the holes without having to mod them, way better to have studs than bolts and 2 or 3 hold downs for the wheel is a much safer option.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
You can buy a couple of wheels studs with nuts at Supercheap, just match the size to your van and they hopefully will just hammer into the holes without having to mod them, way better to have studs than bolts and 2 or 3 hold downs for the wheel is a much safer option.

Thanks for the tip, good excuse to go to Supercheap :)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

if you get the studs, a quick tip on fitting them up

push the stud in from behind (as you would) put a socket over the thread and onto the base plate, then wind up the nut

this should in theory pull the stud into the hole tightly

and should you ever need a stud while travelling, you just put the nut on to the end of the thread, put a piece of wood on it, and smack the living daylights out of it

it should in theory pop out again