Chassis Spare Wheel Carrier - anyone used these ?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
um............
@Bellbirdweb ...................... ummmmmmmmmmm

that would have to be the dodgiest thing I have seen, looks as strong as tissue paper
I know the picture is not clear, and they dont give the spec's, but
it looks like 3mm steel, covered in Galv........... I just hope its not...................

oh my God

you wouldnt would you..............?

Reactions: Crusty181

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
um............

that would have to be the dodgiest thing I have seen, looks as strong as tissue paper
it looks like 3mm steel, covered in Galv........... I just hope its not...................

oh my God

LOL, that's why I was asking if anyone else had used one @bigcol, it looked a little on the lightweight side from the photo.

I'm good with the electrical side, but not much on the welding and chassis stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
um............

oh my God

LOL, that's why I was asking if anyone else had used one @bigcol, it looked a little on the lightweight side from the photo.

I'm good with the electrical side, but not much on the welding and chassis stuff.

you could make your own, similar to that thing........... but better engineered

as long as you use 6mm or thicker (for the rigidity)
and not have the side bit come to a point (almost) where it joins to the bit that goes over your rear bar..............(like theirs) it should be strong enough

I've sent an email to my mate the Fabricator to see if he can make them, and how much each
made properly, not slapped together

be interesting to see what he comes up with

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Called into Coromal Caravans before I made my own to have a look at the drop down wheel holders on the Rapids..... Looked cheaper quality than the Jayco one that @Bellbirdweb posted!!!!!!

Be interesting to see what your mate comes back with @bigcol ?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Just remember guys that the best engineered wheel carrier is just as bad as a crap one if it is attached to a under engineered bumper bar .
It's very important that your bumper is up to the job and most stock ones aren't . They're most likely 1 or 1.6 mm tubing that may collapse or crack ,where the arms are welded to the rear tube , with the constant shaking the rear wheel will receive so be careful .

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just remember guys that the best engineered wheel carrier is just as bad as a crap one if it is attached to a under engineered bumper bar .
It's very important that your bumper is up to the job and most stock ones aren't . They're most likely 1 or 1.6 mm tubing that may collapse or crack ,where the arms are welded to the rear tube , with the constant shaking the rear wheel will receive so be careful .

I have the outback @mfexpanda which has the gal square section rear bar not the tube one they put on the touring models.

It will need a couple more welds, but otherwise should handle the wheel ok.

Reactions: dagree

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I have the outback @mfexpanda which has the gal square section rear bar not the tube one they put on the touring models.

It will need a couple more welds, but otherwise should handle the wheel ok.
We had the rectangular gal Outback bumper on our 2005 expanda and with a bike rack attached and the constant swaying the rec tube ripped at the welds so be careful and just check it regularly

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
so be careful and just check it regularly
OH I do even though I had a fabricator look at ours to give me a price to make up a new bar and wheel holder based on the prototype I made... Answer was "Not needed as it'll do"

If any issues I'll be speaking to him the very next day...... I now work for the same company and can quote it myself 8-)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

a very good and Valid point mate

when I made my rear wheel holder, I changed the 1.6mm SHS out for 2.5mm SHS
it was off the Van
I had the steel sitting there..................

why not I said to my self

except when I had to lift it onto my roof rack once it was all welded up to take home
then I was asking "who's stupid idea was this.....................???"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I first made a drop down for The Tardis, did some mods to the round bar but found it to be a pain as I would get covered in whatever crap come from the road, so made a wind up underneath, so much better and kept the weight down.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
There's obviously a market for them as many here have seen the sense in moving the spare wheel.

As we don't (or can't) weld we had our guy do it for us. He fabricated the swing down, moved and fixed the wheel to the bar, added a basket where the wheel was on the front and adjusted the wiring to the number plate and that cost about $250 I think.

We were happy with that and it was guaranteed.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

And you can bet your bottom dollar the bumper ain't 6mm

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I just contacted the manufacturers, and they tell me is made from 3mm steel.

More than adequate very few things use material near 3mm today . Our Jayco one is the weld on type and it's been fine so far and with the 16" on it its heavier than the normal 15" The only thing with that one you posted the bar mount part looks a tad short to me.