Solar wiring a 2011 17.56-2

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
So I lashed out and bought a 200w panel ($230), the plastic mounting kit ($120) and a I had 20a regulator I bought some time ago ($100). I have a few question for anyone who has done this before, particularly someone who has run the wire themselves.
  1. Where exactly do you run the wire from the roof? I am thinking I want to run the wires down the kitchen side near the antenna and my approach was to be drill up from in the van through the first layer then check for internal cables then finish the hole through the roof. I have a fitting that then goes on the outside of the roof for the cables, I was going to just Silkaflex it on. Should I put a joiner in the external fitting?
  2. How to mounting the panel? I was thinking of attaching the mounts to the panel with SS self tappers and Silkaflex then just Silkaflex to the roof. Would that be sufficient or should I screw to the roof as well? How deep should the screws penetrate into the roof if I do that?

Mounting kit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171015380556?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Panel: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180991506985?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Regulator: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOLAR-RE...AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e6adac15

My intention is to re-route the fridge electrics directly to the load connectors on the solar regulator then run a 6mm pair from the house battery to the car. My thinking is that the solar regulator, Setek and the car battery isolator all monitor the battery so shouldn't cause any issues with the house battery.

Reactions: skippy

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Ouch.... Thats scary!!! Ours was done at the factory and it ran down on the offside front of the poptop, along with the TV antenna and a couple of other wires.

Remember with the panels that the cooler they are the more efficient they are, I know its silly, they sit in the sun all day. But what you need to do is get them off the roof with some angle or similiar, but those brackets look pretty cool. Usually fastened with SMALL screws and silkaflex.

boots33 could probably give you the long version with the controller, but I wouldn't like to run the fridge off the load side, especially if its a 3 way fridge.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Ouch.... Thats scary!!! Ours was done at the factory and it ran down on the offside front of the poptop, along with the TV antenna and a couple of other wires.

Remember with the panels that the cooler they are the more efficient they are, I know its silly, they sit in the sun all day. But what you need to do is get them off the roof with some angle or similiar, but those brackets look pretty cool. Usually fastened with SMALL screws and silkaflex.

boots33 could probably give you the long version with the controller, but I wouldn't like to run the fridge off the load side, especially if its a 3 way fridge.

bigman0510 thanks for that. The regulator is rated to 20AMPs so should cover the 200w panel and also running the fridge on the load side. Save me putting in another battery saving device and the panel should power the fridge when traveling, or at the very least augment the power requirement.

The mounts keep the panel about 1.5cm above the roof for airflow plus the frame.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
brookes2622 I am just in the process of removing that exact regulator as I'm not over excited about it's ability to charge my batteries to their full capacity, I've just forked out on another Cetek D250S Dual to replace it, wiring diagram of the way my system was set up here plan is to replace the Regulator and disconnect 240 charging side of the setec and replace with a Cetek MSX25 Inspired by ROnEM 's wiring diagram in this thread

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
@capt gadget what makes you think it's not charging the battery's? They are having a special on the D250s at the moment $255 delivered but I already have the one I do.

How did you attach the mounts? Did you screw and Silkaflex? How long were the screws if you used them?

Did you screw the panel to the mounts or again just Silkaflex?

I'm feeling I need to whip up a wiring diagram :)

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
@capt gadget what makes you think it's not charging the battery's? They are having a special on the D250s at the moment $255 delivered but I already have the one I do.

How did you attach the mounts? Did you screw and Silkaflex? How long were the screws if you used them?

Did you screw the panel to the mounts or again just Silkaflex?

I'm feeling I need to whip up a wiring diagram :)

We had sunny days for our last trip and the batteries struggled to get to 12.8v, mind you we weren't trying to conserve any power, this trip was a bit of warm up for our 2 weeks on the beach south of Exmouth with no power in July , I bought a Cetek 3 weeks ago for the battery in the back of the tug for $249 delivered and this week from the same supplier Autoelecau (Ebay) for $255 , I used sikaflex to stick the mounts to the roof and s/s screws to mount the panel to the brackets in case the Panel needs to come off, screw length not sure of, inch I think I'll have a look tomorrow in the daylight

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
We had sunny days for our last trip and the batteries struggled to get to 12.8v, mind you we weren't trying to conserve any power, this trip was a bit of warm up for our 2 weeks on the beach south of Exmouth with no power in July , I bought a Cetek 3 weeks ago for the battery in the back of the tug for $249 delivered and this week from the same supplier Autoelecau (Ebay) for $255 , I used sikaflex to stick the mounts to the roof and s/s screws to mount the panel to the brackets in case the Panel needs to come off, screw length not sure of, inch I think I'll have a look tomorrow in the daylight

Thanks for that Capt. Gadget I hadn't considered that I may want to take the panel off so I'll follow that same approach. Good one.

I'm going to place the panel lengthways across the front of the poptop thinking that the weight will then be more directly on the locking mechanism. I think the panel was 6kg and allowing 1.5kg for the mounts. Is this a sound approach?

Does anyone know which is best to be the shortest from the regulator, the panel, the battery or the load (fridge)?

I have some of this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6MM-TWIN...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4605af0d47 coming to wire it all up with and is rated to 38AMP.

I'm beginning to feel performance anxiety about the wiring diagram !!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey brookes, good luck mate, I'm sure it will turn out fine! If it was me I'd use joiners in the J box in case you need to remove or replace panel, just makes it a bit easier. As far as screws go in length they don't need to be long as the top layer is only about 0.7mm thick so the screws will help with movement north, south, east and west but your sika will do 99% of the work. When you go to put your panel on roof with mounts already screwed on, sit on roof where you want it to go, mark around mounts, remove then give each spot a rub with some sand paper to remove gloss, this will help the sikaflex to bind better. When my shower walls were replaced, that's what they found, the test piece that was roughed up stuck much better!

Cheers.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Brilliant bigman0510 I didn't know these video's existed. Very helpful. I didn't know I could walk on the roof either. Guess thats best done with the roof down :) Especially with a fat bugger like me.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yeah I was amazed in another post to see someone walking on the roof. I would be scared to break the silicone seal let alone making another entrance into the caravan.