Solar regulator

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
If you are only getting 1.5v at the panels then you definitely have a problem. ...

The low voltage is not a good sign and if it is a short of some kind it will be putting the system under stress, so get it sorted as soon as possible. If your van is still under warranty you might be best to drop it back in the dealers lap.

Shane.

Thanks for the info Boots - will check it out myself to save further damage then see what the dealer has to say and offers for a fix...

Cheers Ligedy

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Well this is starting to sound like the Topray regulator is a piece of c#!p as I checked my controller today and also only 1 month old and no display. I dont know if it is working or not, and also no idea how to test. Obviously under warranty and if I get the chance will ask for a replacement upgrade even if I have to pay the difference. Can anyone recommend other regulator options that they have had no issues with?
Just an update that my regulator was cactus, as I managed to get the dealer to express out a replacement and after a quick changeover was back to normal......thanks bayswater jayco

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Double check that the correct polarity is used throughout the system as a problem there will cause the same low voltage result. Your two panels should be hooked together in parallel ie. negative to negative and positive to positive, I have seen panels hooked up (incorrectly) in parallel negative to positive and that will cause the panels to cancel each other out.

The low voltage is not a good sign and if it is a short of some kind it will be putting the system under stress, so get it sorted as soon as possible. If your van is still under warranty you might be best to drop it back in the dealers lap.

Shane.

You were spot on Shane - I got home on the weekend and started fault finding... Found the polarity was arse about on one of the solar panels at the roof end.

Whoever wired up the inside got the colours right but I’m surprised it didn’t short out earlier as the wires didn’t even terminate into the terminal block correctly. The wires were loose on the solar panel feed-in and wires weren’t stripped back on the regulator side – no wonder the Solar Reg never showed as working…

Do you think having the polarity mixed up could have damaged the panels output?

Can anyone tell me what sort of Amps-in / charging you are getting (and what size solar panels you have) on a really good clear sunny day?

Cheers Ligedy

Reactions: bigman0510

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
My 200w panel puts in 12-14v I thought it was more than that when I first installed it haven't been getting more than 6-8 amps in according to the regulator so I splashed out and I am waiting on another Cetek D250s to replace the regulator

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Glad to hear you found the problem. Makes you wonder who Jayco has doing the wiring, sounds like they made a bit of a mess. i am no expert on solar panel construction but have fixed a few panels with shorts in the wiring in the past and all seemed to work ok once the short was gone. As yours were only like that for a short while i think you will find they are ok.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Thanks guys - all seems to be working good.

Yeah, I don't be rude the TPS-555 solar reg off and put in a Redarc BCDC1240 (MPPT solar reg / 40 Amp DC-DC charger).

I’ve only tested for two days - the weather has been glorious and puts in 10-15amp on solar charging and when running off the car/Anderson plug I get 20-25Amps charging…

Not sure what the magic black box does but I would have expected better charging from solar at 20V over the car’s 12V.

I’ll continue this on the ‘’The Solar Panel Thread’’ http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/the-solar-panel-thread.1729/