Solar regulator

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
We just picked a new expanda with a 150W panel and the standard regulator. However there are no operating instructions on the regulator and its display, so wondering if this is just an error on Delivery's part or if there are no instructions available?

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
they should give you the instructions for your reg. Can you go online and download it to save you time chasing it up?

Cheers
Mike

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
No manual with mine either (Topray branded) it's now just over 2 years old, it has spat the dummy twice, first time I had an alarm go off and the battery symbol was flashing, the only way to stop it was pull the fuse, rang the dealer who told me it was a low voltage alarm. we had been on power the whole time and battery tested full, go figure. Second time was recently when the alarm went off again but this all the different symbols were flashing on/off all together, basically in went haywire, pulling the fuse this time only stopped the alarm, the symbols kept flashing, as soon as I replaced the fuse the alarm would go again, left the fuse out and turned off the battery switch, however the symols just kept flashing and did so for 3 days.

Again rang the dealer who said they have no idea, but ring Coast to Coast RV Technical department. I'm just going to replace it with something else after Easter

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
I rung the dealer today who said to ring Jayco factory. The Service dept had nothing for me and said they would get back to me. So by the sounds of your response Bushman the standard Jayco option is a dud. Lets hope I dont have the same issues. Do you know what the button on the right side does?

cheers sledge

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I rung the dealer today who said to ring Jayco factory. The Service dept had nothing for me and said they would get back to me. So by the sounds of your response Bushman the standard Jayco option is a dud. Lets hope I dont have the same issues. Do you know what the button on the right side does?

cheers sledge
Isn't that for if you have devices connected to the load terminals? Turns it on and off.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Isn't that for if you have devices connected to the load terminals? Turns it on and off.

So does that mean if I switch it off it will stop the solar from charging my battery?

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
I received some manuals from coast to coast today which I will try and upload if anyone interested, but not a lot more than what you have mentioned bigman. Not quite sure why I was sent the MP3722 manual, but it may be of interest if you have one.

cheers sledge

Attachments

• MP3722_manual.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,540
  • AUSTRALIAN TPS-555-30A user mannualREV2.1_New_Style.pdf
    329.1 KB · Views: 2,926
  • Coast_Solar_Systems_Brochure.pdf
    512.1 KB · Views: 838

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
We have 2 x 150 panels on our new Sterling. Although I'm up to speed with most things 12v, solar is pretty new to me, so a couple of questions for those who have the Topray regulator......

- Do you ever see a constant amperage/voltage readout whilst charging? Ours seems to constantly fluctuate, is this due to it being a PWM regulator and not MPPT?

- Should it stay on the amperage readout once selected? Ours will only display it for about 5 seconds and then revert to the voltage readout.

Cheers
Shane

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
from memory, it does fluctuate a fair bit depeding on the suns rays etc, and it doesn't stay on what you selected it reverts backs to the normal screen. Of course, i never used it for detecting how much juice was going into the batteries, I was using a really good battery monitor for that which was very accurate.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We have 2 x 150 panels on our new Sterling. Although I'm up to speed with most things 12v, solar is pretty new to me, so a couple of questions for those who have the Topray regulator......

- Do you ever see a constant amperage/voltage readout whilst charging? Ours seems to constantly fluctuate, is this due to it being a PWM regulator and not MPPT?

- Should it stay on the amperage readout once selected? Ours will only display it for about 5 seconds and then revert to the voltage readout.

Cheers
Shane

Mine fluctuates but does stay on the the display selected until you change it

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
My screen will always revert back to the voltage reading. I find the floating voltage can fluctuate especially if solar is charging. If you put load on the battery you will get the real reading which stays fairly constant.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Can anyone tell me how to test the output from the solar panels?

I have the TPS-555 solar regulator connected to 2x120W solar panels but not sure how it's wired into charge my batteries – I also have the Drifter RV Control panel - and my 1 month old Jayco ain't charging my batteries from the solar panels :(

Switching the battery isolator on/off on the Drifter Control Panel doesn’t change the charging state for me.

I have never seen the Amps output on the TPS solar reg move off 0.00. The battery voltage on the TPS is the same as the voltage reading on the Drifter Control Panel. The Drifter has only ever shown amount current draw (4-6 amps with a few 12v appliances on). I have never seen it go up to 30A input on a sunny day...

I ran all 12v appliances during rainy weather for 36hrs straight and the batteries level on the Drifter Control Panel wend down to about 25% / 18hrs remaining – but since the sunny weather has come back no charging is going on.

I have run the multimeter across the wires from the solar panels and only get 1.5V on a good sunny day 12noon (this is the same voltage at the wires terminated at the solar regulator). I would have thought I should be getting 14-17V

Any tips on how to check the solar panels would be good - I want to check the TPS but already have a Redarc BC-DC1240 DC-DC charger to wire in and need to confirm he solar panels are working.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
My solar regulator just started beeping too. Will be watching this thread with interest. Think I will be changing items over also.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Can anyone tell me how to test the output from the solar panels?

I have run the multimeter across the wires from the solar panels and only get 1.5V on a good sunny day 12noon (this is the same voltage at the wires terminated at the solar regulator). I would have thought I should be getting 14-17V

Any tips on how to check the solar panels would be good

If you are only getting 1.5v at the panels then you definitely have a problem. Bit hard to go into too much detail without seeing the setup but here are a few things you can try if you are a bit handy.

Double check that the correct polarity is used throughout the system as a problem there will cause the same low voltage result. Your two panels should be hooked together in parallel ie. negative to negative and positive to positive, I have seen panels hooked up (incorrectly) in parallel negative to positive and that will cause the panels to cancel each other out.

The low voltage could be because of a short in the system so the first thing to do is isolate the individual parts to see if the voltage comes back up. You will need to disconnect the wires where they connect to the regulator and also separate the solar panels wiring where they connect together on the roof. start with whichever is the easiest to get at and re-check the voltage each time. By doing this you should be able to determine if the problem is in the wiring,panels or regulator.

The low voltage is not a good sign and if it is a short of some kind it will be putting the system under stress, so get it sorted as soon as possible. If your van is still under warranty you might be best to drop it back in the dealers lap.

Shane.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Well this is starting to sound like the Topray regulator is a piece of c#!p as I checked my controller today and also only 1 month old and no display. I dont know if it is working or not, and also no idea how to test. Obviously under warranty and if I get the chance will ask for a replacement upgrade even if I have to pay the difference. Can anyone recommend other regulator options that they have had no issues with?