Solar fridge fan

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey guys heres a question for you , ive just bought a solar powered 150mm fan to fit at the back of my fridge with thermo cut out / in is it better to have the fan blowing or sucking over the back of the fridge ?

cheers Russell

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
it is always better to extract heat.
Because heat exchangers, pipes and other vessels run hot, forcing a cold environment on them can create stress cracks and other fatigue. Extracting the heat will introduce new air in from other areas (eg through the internal vents above the fridge) and it won't be as cold. This makes a gradual but even heat loss, with less sudden impact.
Secondly, because extracting will cool it down gradually and more evenly, the thermostat for the new fan won't be flicking on and off as frequently, which would reduce its life also.
And lastly, it requires less energy to remove heat, rather than keep it in place, and try to actively cool it instead.

Reactions: BUSH PALACE

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day BP, *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* with Straydingo's comments. The only thing I would add is if you are mounting it at the top vent, then this is the outlet due to the heat rising and so you have to have the fan blowing (out) and conversely, if you mount it at the bottom vent then it has to suck the air in. Best to mount it at the top. I've mounted two old computer fans at the top fridge vent to blow air out with a swith inside. See previous post.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/73-Expanda-Mods?highlight=fridge

Reactions: BUSH PALACE

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Thanks guys great work better do it this weekend as theres still a list the boss has for me before we head up to the Kimberlys in May / June
Russell