Site Updates

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Love this site! Will have fun over Xmas exploring all,over again to see what’s new.
Starting a new thread was always a bit tricky especially getting my trip reports tagged as ‘Trip reports’
New trips coming up in March and May so will see how that works.
Thanks for running this fantastic, informative site!
Marv

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks @chartrock for the clear and detailed explanation make sense.

Yes I understand ill explain at the bottom as this question relates to both comments.

Yes that is correct @mikerezny and @chartrock I understand.

To be clear I will say I don't entirely have a view on wether this was the right or wrong call this is just a play by play of what happened and why.

First I draw your attention to exhibit a:

View attachment 58609

Only 39% of our users access our website on a desktop 61% access it via a table or phone and yes I have used this image a few posts back :)!

This fact is not only on our site its across the web, its true now that mobi devices have surpassed desktop users from an amount of time access perspective.

With this in mind the developers made a call that "HOVER" was not a good design position as it catered to a smaller audience and the preference of priority was given to building a robust navigation system that suits mobile.

On a mobile its all click, you click to reveal a slide out menu there is no such thing as hover on mobile devices.

So what does all this mean? Lets bring it all together, mobi users out surpass desktop user across the interwebz and the developers made a call to remove hover to reveal and decided to instead focus on what is non as an off canvas (slide out) menu as it caters to a wider user base.

Was it the right call? I'm on the fence to be honest I hadn't really noticed it up until it was mentioned although it was debated during the development as the software forum company ran an open beta program which triggered many debates. But I am hardly on the forum on a laptop only when development work is required.

Will it come back? Unfortunately not at this stage as it requires custom development but I am not personally against finding a way if its possible.

Hope this makes sense.....
Yes, agree, I rarely use a laptop, visit this site and post via my iPad, particularly when on trips. Hover doesn’t work on mobile devices so imho it was a reasonable (good) call.
Marv

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
one small request / comment

previously, when you opened "Alerts" page, anything you have NOT read had an asterix next to it, now not...........................?

Reactions: Drover

rags

No I don't take it as criticism I just like to explain :).

All feedback is good feedback it helps to build on the site and make it better for you.

Here is what I get when I click on the bell at the top of the screen and it's the same function with it giving you alerts.

I'll try it on an iPhone and iPad in the morning.

Let me know if you are seeing something different.

Has the font size increase helped?

View attachment 58591
@expanda, on the old site, when you hovered the mouse over the alerts, a drop down menu of only unread alerts appeared. You could then click on the alert you wanted to read. If you clicked the mouse on the alert bell it brought up a list of all your previous alerts. Now you have to click the mouse on the alert bell to see the drop down list of the new alerts. I don't see it as a problem, just a difference.

Been away a few days but now back following up on my previous issues.
With regards the alert bell, still can't open it, when trying to click on it using iPad no response and in fact the only thing that opens is either the what's new or forum pages as they are either side of the alert bell. It's not my fat fingers as I have tried by enlarging the screen.
Another issue, I open the site up on a desk top and I can see a log in section that when logged in displays my user name (on right side above site banner) yet on the iPad this function is not there. As a result I am unable to log out
.thanks

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Been away a few days but now back following up on my previous issues.
With regards the alert bell, still can't open it, when trying to click on it using iPad no response and in fact the only thing that opens is either the what's new or forum pages as they are either side of the alert bell. It's not my fat fingers as I have tried by enlarging the screen.
Another issue, I open the site up on a desk top and I can see a log in section that when logged in displays my user name (on right side above site banner) yet on the iPad this function is not there. As a result I am unable to log out
.thanks

What iPad is it?

Do you happen to know what version iOS it is?

I am android right now but I do have an iPad I can access so I'll give it a go tonight.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @expanda,
I noticed that the new expandas downunder logo on the top left-hand part of the page was sometimes taking a while to load.
I just downloaded the image and found that the image is actually 2030 x 1464 with a size of 718,723 bytes. This seems rather large given that it is then reduced to a much smaller size.

To improve page loading performance would it be possible to reduce the image somewhat?

Otherwise, I like the newer look and feel of the site.

Thanks to all those involved in keep improving and keeping the site up and running so efficiently.

cheers
Mike

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi @expanda,
I noticed that the new expandas downunder logo on the top left-hand part of the page was sometimes taking a while to load.
I just downloaded the image and found that the image is actually 2030 x 1464 with a size of 718,723 bytes. This seems rather large given that it is then reduced to a much smaller size.

To improve page loading performance would it be possible to reduce the image somewhat?

Otherwise, I like the newer look and feel of the site.

Thanks to all those involved in keep improving and keeping the site up and running so efficiently.

cheers
Mike

what device are you on mike?

Ipad2
IOS 8.1.2
Alert bell Still not working tonight.

Thanks I’ll report it but suspect it could be the iOS version I am posting this from an iPad ios11 latest version and it’s working fine.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hey Mike

We load a high res image for retina disaplys i.e double resolution so just clarifying which logo you were seeing.

I have however optimised the logos as suggested.

Thanks for the feedback it's appreciated.
Hi @expanda,
many thanks.
With the new changes, my laptop is now downloading the 2x version, which is now only 156kb.
That can only help website performance. Every little bit helps.

cheers
Mike

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi @expanda,
many thanks.
With the new changes, my laptop is now downloading the 2x version, which is now only 156kb.
That can only help website performance. Every little bit helps.

cheers
Mike

Very true overall size of the site was 2.9mb's before now it's down to about 2.1mb.

I am just uploading some new images aim is to get it down to 1.5mb for the total initial download.

Thanks for making me do something about it!

Reactions: chartrock

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hi there, I just tried to list some bike racks for sale - title "3 x Bike racks for draw bar"

System said I had to enter a prefix, however only prefix available is "Sold" (which they aren't yet) ;-)

Can someone please look into this?

Thanks

rags

Until tonight I had always just used the what's new tab ( as I previously had done). Tonight instead I have tried to open the caravan sub heading forum topics from the list ( from top down) Jayco Expanda discussions thought to How to , tech help.i am unable to open each section. The headings seem to be obscured by a picture matching the sub heading and I can't find a "touch area" that you would use to click on an iPad to open a section.
In the general discussion sub headings from member intros down to the site testing threads it functions ok and I can open these. These threads have no matching pictures like the ones mentioned above.

As mentioned before I still can't open the red bell that tells me I now have 15 alerts.
I can't log off or see anywhere to do that ( should that be above the expanda prado banner picture at top of page?) I have no way of editing my profile or most likely read any PM's
The latest post list to right side of screen has photos of poster which are obscured. When I open any of the listed latest posters details their photo avatar is obscured.

Would love a resolution as this site is not enjoyable to visit these days due to these IT issues, which I didn't experience with the old site.
I was recently asked about the IPad and operating version it uses, could this be the issue.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Until tonight I had always just used the what's new tab ( as I previously had done). Tonight instead I have tried to open the caravan sub heading forum topics from the list ( from top down) Jayco Expanda discussions thought to How to , tech help.i am unable to open each section. The headings seem to be obscured by a picture matching the sub heading and I can't find a "touch area" that you would use to click on an iPad to open a section.
In the general discussion sub headings from member intros down to the site testing threads it functions ok and I can open these. These threads have no matching pictures like the ones mentioned above.

As mentioned before I still can't open the red bell that tells me I now have 15 alerts.
I can't log off or see anywhere to do that ( should that be above the expanda prado banner picture at top of page?) I have no way of editing my profile or most likely read any PM's
The latest post list to right side of screen has photos of poster which are obscured. When I open any of the listed latest posters details their photo avatar is obscured.

Would love a resolution as this site is not enjoyable to visit these days due to these IT issues, which I didn't experience with the old site.
I was recently asked about the IPad and operating version it uses, could this be the issue.

Did you see my post about your iOS version about three or so posts back?

I tested the site on an iPad running the latest iOS 11 and didn't experience any of these issues.

You seemed to be running iOS 8 I would suggest as a starting point I would be updating the iOS version.

Not even just from a website perspective but from a security perspective you are a few versions behind.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Could it be an Ad Blocker which is stopping the buttons from working........ not familiar with Apple stuff but have found on my Windows systems sometimes the add blocker is a bit too officious.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I have found that when clicking on pics from members posts, the first pic is often chopped off at the bottom. Scrolling left and right thru the pics, they seem ok but the first one is still chopped off. When I visit again later, all ok. Seems odd behaviour!
Using iPad Air 2 with iOS 11.2.1