Shower

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi all,

The wife, kids and I are looking to go away in July for 6-7 nights during the school holidays and we have been looking at caravan parks, have sent some emails looking at prices and being the middle of winter I cannot believe what some are trying to charge! Being winter I'm not looking to go away so I can swim in the pool or the beach, I just want to get away and and relax by a fire but none of them are allowing them even in a proper fire pit. A few of the free camps or national parks allow you to have a fire but they either have no showers or offer only cold. Well the Mrs isn't real keen on that so I'm looking for ideas to take a shower of some sort with me that is portable and not too expensive.

We have a 16.49-2HL and we love the layout and space of the van but do regret not getting a 17.56 now and if it weren't for covid tax or the sky high price of fuel we'd probably look at buying a new or close to new second hand one so that we had the shower and toilet but If I could come up with a set up that I could take for the odd weekender we would be roughing it a bit I'd be happy with that. I was looking a while back at a Joolca and having it quick connect to gas and water plumbing underneath but I believe that will be too expensive and a heap of hassle so I would love some ideas on a result just as or nearly as good but without the huge outlay if possible. We would normally stay at van parks but this will be our first winter time being able to sue it more as we were stuck last year with covid.

Anyone with pics and ideas of their set up would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I have owned an lpg (canister or bbq bottle) water heater and it worked well but took a bit of time to set up. Longer showers are the plus here.

I used a solar bag for years and it was great on sunny days but it needs a sturdy place to hang the bag and it can be fiddly.

Now I use a 12v camping shower that has a basic submersible pump that sits in a bucket of water I heated over the fire (or gas ring or in the sun) and a simple shower head. I even use this in my caravan shower cubicle because I can use river water, etc. There is one available now that has a battery in it instead of a cigarette plug. Short showers though!

The other thing I recommend is a larger shower tent because the small ones, while easy to store and set up, can be awkward to dress in when people are around. I use a couple of rubber door mats (nicked from the caravan door) on the ground to keep the mud at bay.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I have owned an lpg (canister or bbq bottle) water heater and it worked well but took a bit of time to set up. Longer showers are the plus here.

I used a solar bag for years and it was great on sunny days but it needs a sturdy place to hang the bag and it can be fiddly.

Now I use a 12v camping shower that has a basic submersible pump that sits in a bucket of water I heated over the fire (or gas ring or in the sun) and a simple shower head. I even use this in my caravan shower cubicle because I can use river water, etc. There is one available now that has a battery in it instead of a cigarette plug. Short showers though!

The other thing I recommend is a larger shower tent because the small ones, while easy to store and set up, can be awkward to dress in when people are around. I use a couple of rubber door mats (nicked from the caravan door) on the ground to keep the mud at bay.
Hi @jazzeddie1234 , I too use a solar heated water shower or warm a bit of extra water on gas to add to the bucket (20 litre or so). Some time ago, I bought a submersible pump/shower which I drop into bucket. This pump has a ON/OFF waterproof switch for pump, and there is also tap on the shower end. Powered by 3.7 volt lithium battery which is inside waterproof motor housing. Charged by USB 5 volt line, runs pump for up to 45 minutes before needing recharging. Have never run out of power before all water is pulled through shower head even after both have showered! Considerable pressure too and keeps Mrs Boots very happy. More water pressure is felt when 20 litre bucket is on small steps about a metre above ground as less lift for shower motor. Great unit bought from Aldi (Adventure Ridge) a couple of years ago for approx $30.00 and well used too. Haven't seen them available there since. Similar ones seen at some camping stores, but most seem to require cig lighter connector and a 12 volt supply for pump.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Thanks for the reply guys.

Think I'd rather use the tank and the instantaneous hot water as heating water up on the stove with the kids is a bit of a worry and then having the inside a hut/tent with the hot water too would concern me too much.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When we had grommets around in the tent days out bush, it was a plastic jerry can laid out in the sun in the morning by the arfternoon it would be nice and hot, used a canves shower bag slung from a branch with a huge shower rose that you just turned for on/off, the jerry can water had to be mixed with cold when you topped up the bag as it was too hot, later on we progressed to a plastic solar shower bag, it too needed cold added to cool down, not as good as the big shower....
Have seen folks that wash down their kids with one of those portable HWSystems plumbed from a jerry can or van tank, with a shower screen that was just a hoop off side of van and a plastic screen, boys didn't care but daughter liked a bit of privacy...........

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Thanks for the reply guys.

Think I'd rather use the tank and the instantaneous hot water as heating water up on the stove with the kids is a bit of a worry and then having the inside a hut/tent with the hot water too would concern me too much.
Reading what others have posted, we have a en-suite van and a double en-suite shower tent .both have their uses depending on you trip plan,the main issue you will run into when off grid is you will run out of tank water in no time,with full van tanks they will only last a day or two if a family is showering using you tanks only,using external water you can save the clean water for drinking, cooking ect.heating the water for the external shower is the same as making a cup of tea, I have used one of the Coleman cubes but now it lives in the garden shed along with other items that take up too much space,what you actually end up using will depend on what type of tripping you are planning and then the type facilities SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED will tolerate,there are a lot of truely brilliant purchases in garden sheds gathering dust

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
later on we progressed to a plastic solar shower bag, it too needed cold added to cool down, not as good as the big shower
Are those solar showers as effective I'm winter though? The aim of the setup is mainly for winter for doing more off-grid

run out of tank water in no time,with full van tanks they will only last a day or two if a family is showering using you tanks only,using external water you can save the clean water for drinking, cooking ect

I only have one tank at present but I like to idea of those water bladders you can fill while in the car and then transport back to camp... I figured that's how I'd try and conquer that problem

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
they take the edge off the cold water but you have to add hot for a decent shower,i would not be planning on transporting water in one of the bladders as they are not punture proof, we leave ours at camp and fill from hard containers if we have to transport water from another area, we also do not try and hang the bag as the photos show, we put the water into a bucket , trying to lift a 10/15 litre bag above head height does not excite me ,also finding a branch that wont break and fall on my silly old head

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
F
they take the edge off the cold water but you have to add hot for a decent shower,i would not be planning on transporting water in one of the bladders as they are not punture proof, we leave ours at camp and fill from hard containers if we have to transport water from another area, we also do not try and hang the bag as the photos show, we put the water into a bucket , trying to lift a 10/15 litre bag above head height does not excite me ,also finding a branch that wont break and fall on my silly old head
Fortunately no lifting when you have a small portable pump and no need to find a heavy branch to hang shower/bladder from. Good warning @poor but proud !! Carting water around - 15 to 20 litres - will not only stretch your own strength, but test the strength of the bladder. They have only layers of thin vinyl for the handle and you MUST use the support provided or the vinyl will tear. The original PVC tubing in the support handle started to bend and eventually broke, so replaced it with a heavy piece of wooden dowel which just slides into place.

Reactions: garfield28

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Are those solar showers as effective I'm winter though? The aim of the setup is mainly for winter for doing more off-grid

I only have one tank at present but I like to idea of those water bladders you can fill while in the car and then transport back to camp... I figured that's how I'd try and conquer that problem
the best place we have found to heat our shower bag has been the car bonnet facing the sun, in summer way too hot to use without cooling but in winter a good amount of warmth as long as not cloudy, if worried about scratching paint put a towel under the bag, but not an issue with jeeps or land cruisers as they are rumoured to be bullet proof

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
the best place we have found to heat our shower bag has been the car bonnet facing the sun, in summer way too hot to use without cooling but in winter a good amount of warmth as long as not cloudy, if worried about scratching paint put a towel under the bag, but not an issue with jeeps or land cruisers as they are rumoured to be bullet proof
My favorite spot is inside the cab in direct sun. Usually this means sitting on a box in the passenger seat. The heat is retained even after sun has set whereas outside the wind can have a big cooling effect.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I feel the solar shower would be good enough in Summer but don't think it will cut it for 2 adults and 2 kids in the middle of winter.

I can do without a shower for a few days if need be to save what the van parks are charging and I'll swap a shower for a fire also seeing most parks will not allow a fire even if it is contained in a proper fire pit. I need the solution for a warm shower for the Mrs and kids

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In all honesty 2 adults, 2 kids winter in outback QLD I would be having a shower tent with a portable gas HWS, the amount of stuffing around refilling shower bags, heating water, kids jumping in the run off, life camping is much easier if its just flick a bluddy switch I can tell you .... Planning an hour or so ahead for a shower soon becomes a pain.
Some van parks won;t allow a external shower set up because of the bog thats left.

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
When using our tent originally, then with a camper trailer, we used a dual "ensuite" type structure to house the porta loo on one side and the shower on the other. But being only the two of us i had a 20 litre water container with a larger lid opening where I was able to put a 12v submersable pump in with hose to the shower head. I would use the kettle on the stove to heat water and mix in to the container...usually 3 x 3 litre kettle heats to bring the 20 litres to a very nice shower temp.
We each used about 6 odd litres per shower,...being we camped off grid often water was always an issue, so being miserly came with the territory...couldn't see that working with kids though unfortunately.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I have come across the Companion Aqua Cube tonight and it looks a great bit of kit. Runs off a small butane gas cartridge and has a built in pump, a shower head that connects to a tap spout that takes the shower head but also doubles as a normal tap which allows you to get instant hot water that would be awesome also for washing the dishes etc.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I have come across the Companion Aqua Cube tonight and it looks a great bit of kit. Runs off a small butane gas cartridge and has a built in pump, a shower head that connects to a tap spout that takes the shower head but also doubles as a normal tap which allows you to get instant hot water that would be awesome also for washing the dishes etc.

being a bit of a cheapskate, the price of those small gas cartridges is a bit expensive, you can get a connection hose to run off a normal lpg cylinder, much cheaper, and swap or refill anywhere you can get lpg

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
being a bit of a cheapskate, the price of those small gas cartridges is a bit expensive, you can get a connection hose to run off a normal lpg cylinder, much cheaper, and swap or refill anywhere you can get lpg

Yeah I did see that. It looks a good unit for the price. I see they have updated the model to a aquaheat unit now but I think for $200 this unit would be pretty handy for the odd trip it would be used for and I like the fact it has a spout on it which would be great for hot water in the sink for wash up times.