Show me your drawers! Cargo drawers that is...

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all,

I am sure I have heard that asked of me at some stage!

But what I am actually after is advice from anyone who has made there own cargo drawers.
We have a 2010 Hilux dual cab, that we were thinking of getting rid of when the lease ran out, but with the recent changes and being too damn happy with the tug, we will keep it. With the van on the way, we will be doing (hopefully) a bit more touring so want to set the tug up a bit better.

I am reasonably handy, and am not prepared to spend $2500 on pre made ones. Can anyone offer thoughts and suggestions before I go about trying to make some. I am thinking of making up in 12mm ply to be nice and strong, will cover with marine carpet. Am thinking of making it in two halves as we have a canopy so need them to go in and out without having to resort to taking the lid off! Do they have to be secured to the tray or is the weight of the units and what they have in them enough? If have to be secured, how should I do this. This is the part I am not fond of having to do. It's ok if you stuff up on some timber, but not the car!

Have been reading @Stone Stomper s with envy, but just after any other ideas etc.

Any thoughts, advice and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BJ

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I had the local metal shop bend me up a couple of drawers in 1.6mm Galv, bought some roller bearings, some MDF and some marine carpet and built my own I'll take a few photos for you tomorrow and put them up they have been in 3 of my vehicles now all I do is make a new top to suit the new tray size and re carpet.

Reactions: Xpandafan

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day BJ. I have built drawers for my Navara Dual Cab and I am sure I have posted pictures somewhere on the forum but I can't find the thread anywhere. :( But I also posted a detailed description on the Navara forum here if you want to have a look. :biggrin:

Reactions: Pace

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Shame your not in Melbourne, there is a place that makes great drawer systems in Dandenong South for below $1500. I made some similar to the photo above, next time I will just buy proper ones. I think there is a fine line on how strong you make them and how collapsible they are in case of a rear end accident. I would avoid long lengths of metal (spears).

Reactions: Wanda

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hmmm @maccayak, was starting to think they looked good done that way but you bring up a valid point. What is the name of the place in Melbourne as we are coming down there for holidays in a couple of months. Will have a look at them on the net if they have a site.

BJ.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi BJ,

I made a set for our Hilux, included water tank, air tank, water pump and fridge slide

Christian

DSCN7606 (Small).JPG
DSCN7609 (Small).JPG
DSCN7610 (Small).JPG
DSCN7963 (Small).JPG
DSCN7968 (Small).JPG
DSCN7970 (Small).JPG

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
@Stone Stomper,

That's looks great. Did you secure it to the tray? If so, how?
Don't think mine will be quite as elaborate as that, I am thinking along the lines of the same layout (2 drawers and side pockets) like the one in the YouTube clip above.

Thinking that the aluminum tubing that they have used will be the go.

BJ

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi BJ,

I would use the ply again as you can screw things any where on the frame, easy to work with and if glued and screwed will not come apart.

I also made a pull out drawer for our camper the same way and that went through some tough times and stayed together.

image0005.jpg
image0006.jpg

Below all re-sprayed for sale and the offending stone guard I made that put me off them for life wrecking the back of our first ever brand new car
image0007.jpg