Shade wall question

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
G'day guys. Bought a shade wall and it came with 4 pegs and those ropes with the little plastic tightening things which I despise. I was thinking of buying some of those turnbuckle screws similar to those used to tension wire rope.

Anyone got a better system?

Cheers, DW.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If it's to peg into the ground...not sure if you meant top attachment or ground...but I find it's quick and easy to use a ring cut from an old truck tyre. I leave them on the shade wall and it's easy to peg out.

Others use bungies straps but I find them too long and haste the idea of them suddenly breaking away in a gust of wind. They can take out an eye.

No idea if this helps!

Reactions: bigcol and DWWood

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just use pegs in ground and bungy cable loops, that way when the wind blows it moves but doesn't fly away like when you use slip ropes, turnbuckles would be useless as they would continually loose tension so everything would flap.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
When I use shade wall I often increase the living area (so to speak) and carry four adjustable poles and 4 guy ropes and pegs.
I then peg it out in an elevated position (like you would a tarp) and peg it down with the guy ropes.
Gives me shade, a little bit of weather protection and more space.
When pegging it to the ground, I just use four octopus straps (not too tight for reasons mentioned earlier).

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Short 20cm looped toggle bungees from BCF, they come in a box of about 10
118806-thumb.jpg

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Another vote for pegs and occy straps, I carry a pack of 20 X 75cms I brought from the big green shed for around 20 bucks as they come in handy for lots of tasks.
View attachment 46567 View attachment 46568

Thanks for the pic,

I have a full annex but this is going to be my alternative set-up for shorter stays, this is exactly how I pictured it in my head although I was going to have the awning legs down.

Will there be a problem if I have the legs pegged down, will it be unstable?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
The front awning leg is down in this pic and the back leg is still attached to the Expanda this is how I usually set up, having them down doesn't make the awning unstable as such but it does make it weaker in high winds.

Be sure to put a peg and rope at each end of the awning barrel as in this pic and if you want you can also drive a peg through the foot of the awning arm(s) that are off the van.

I used to do this but I no longer do because if I need to get the awning in in a hurry (big storm coming) its another peg to deal with, with the two ropes around the barrel, four occy straps on the long wall, three on the rear wall all holding the awning down its pretty dam secure.

We have been through a couple of decent storms set up like this and nothing has moved:D.

Last edited:

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
The front awning leg is down in this pic and the back leg is still attached to the Expanda this is how I usually set up, having them down doesn't make the awning unstable as such but it does make it weaker in high winds.

Be sure to put a peg and rope at each end of the awning barrel as in this pic and if you want you can also drive a peg through the foot of the awning arm(s) that are off the van.

I used to do this but I no longer do because if I need to get the awning in in a hurry (big storm coming) its another peg to deal with, with the two ropes around the barrel, four occy straps on the long wall, three on the rear wall all holding the awning down its pretty dam secure. I have been through a couple of decent storms like this and nothing has moved.

Thanks @Axl

I am on line now looking for shade walls, I have seen the coast to coast ones on the Campsmart website.

I used to do this but I no longer do because if I need to get the awning in in a hurry (big storm coming) its another peg to deal with, with the two ropes around the barrel, four occy straps on the long wall, three on the rear wall all holding the awning down its pretty dam secure.

We have been through a couple of decent storms set up like this and nothing has moved:D.

Thanks @Axl

Im looking on line now at these http://www.campsmart.net.au/4.9m-coast-privacy-screen, they seem to fit the bill what do you reckon?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Thanks @Axl

I am on line now looking for shade walls, I have seen the coast to coast ones on the Campsmart website.

Thanks @Axl

Im looking on line now at these http://www.campsmart.net.au/4.9m-coast-privacy-screen, they seem to fit the bill what do you reckon?

The Coast to Coast shade walls are well worth the money in my opinion @warren cook, not to expensive and should last for many years.

You can clearly see the shade they offer in this pic, this was at around 1:30-2pm as you can see by the shadows and the wife is sitting in a nice shady spot (consuming bourbon at a guess:very_drunk:)

They make light to medium rain run away from the van as well.
20161007_140746.jpg

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd check to see if they have different grades as @Axl's setup seems to have versions which are far superior to the coast to coast ones we bought from BCF a few years ago.

They're (ours) very flimsy and wouldn't last long at all.

I suspect they produce them in two different weight qualities ...one sold through cheaper outlets and one a bit more upmarket.

Ours has the consistency of a dishrag and certainly doesn't look like @Axl 's.

Not being negative but I was hugely disappointed in ours!

:(

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
The Coast to Coast shade walls are well worth the money in my opinion @warren cook, not to expensive and should last for many years.

You can clearly see the shade they offer in this pic and they make light to medium rain run away from the van as well.
View attachment 46569

Good to hear, the warehouse is round the corner from me so I get them cheaper by saving on the postage.

More money spent by the forum :clap2: love it.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
I'd check to see if they have different grades as @Axl's setup seems to have versions which are far superior to the coast to coast ones we bought from BCF a few years ago.

I suspect they produce them in two different weight qualities ...one sold through cheaper outlets and one a bit more upmarket.

Good tip, Mr Google hear I come.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney

You can clearly see the shade they offer in this pic, this was at around 1:30-2pm as you can see by the shadows and the wife is sitting in a nice shady spot (consuming bourbon at a guess).

They make light to medium rain run away from the van as well.
View attachment 46570

Are yours Coast to Coast, the emblem looks like it.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Are yours Coast to Coast, the emblem looks like it.

Yep.....here is another good pic showing the shade they offer, if that side wall wasn't up my Engel (which you can just see in the pic behind the table) would be copping full sun.

As this is usually full of beer full sun on the Engel is the last thing I need:D
20150522_095844.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside

I don't think they make different grades but I am not sure, certainly worth checking out as @Dobbie has said. I brought mine from my local Jayco dealer Brisbane Camperland.