18' Series Securing the van

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Was walking near my place today and saw this 18' Expanda out the front of this house with a couple of unique security features to stop it being nicked.

Not a bad idea but a bit of a hassle.
6B0C73F7-2729-44F8-9724-C7093DA5F0F3.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Taking the hitch off is extreme. Bad guys just need to show up with one and clamp it on. In a way it would be easier for them than a trailer cop or similar!
I like the bollard idea. I'm thinking the same for the new van.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I just purchased this on ebay. TK103B Remote Control Car GPS Tracker GPS/GSM/GPRS Tracking Device Auto Vehicle http://r.ebay.com/u8r5K8 If it all works out as intended, I'll hook it up to the breakaway unit, so it will notify me if taken outside of the predetermined area. With a command SMS I can then tell it to apply the breakaway brakes.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Well the satellite tracker arrived today (http://r.ebay.com/u8r5K8). Popped the ALDI SIM into it, did a little bit of setup, and bingo, it worked really well.

It has a lot of different settings, but sends a text to predetermined numbers if it moves more than a certain distance or outside a predefined area. Also has the ability to drive a siren, and comes with a remote control so doubles up as an alarm as well.

Just looking on where to mount it so I can get constant 12v power, and the 3G and GPS antennas can be run, that could be a bit of a challenge. For under $45 its got to be a very good investment.

Reactions: Delano

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Ideally you'd want to have a separate and discrete power supply. You don't want the crooks just cutting the cable at your battery.
Possibly get a motorcycle battery hide it deep somewhere and wire up a trickle charger for it.
Obviously you might want to keep the details of this mod to yourself.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Luckily it has an inbuilt battery @BigSkiddy.

The bigger issue is how to run the cables for the GPS and 3G antennas.

Has anyone run cables from inside up on to the roof ?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The 3G should be okay under the van. The GPS might need clear view of the sky or at least only have plastic above it. As @relgate said give it a go inside first.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@relgate thats a good suggestion, I'll try in inside first, I know the 3G will be OK, but often a GPS will work through non metallic surfaces. I just need to make sure its a good signal, so it works under tree canopy etc.

I was up on the roof of the van today, and it looks like there may be a way of using the same boot as the TV antenna cable to get through.